• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Vanity Fair References Fist of the North Star Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:32 pm Reply with quote
W-what? That just broke my mind.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:50 pm Reply with quote
As far as I'm concerned, her chances of being a major political figure are already dead
gorbal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote
She can still star in her own manga....can't wait for her reality show; good times. (Don't care for her politics but she is entertaining).
corinthian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote
What a coincidence. I just finished reading that article. Pretty good read for anybody critical of/baffled by Palin.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Excellent article.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Referencing Palin to Hokuto no Ken is disgraceful to the franchise, good thing the blog is already dead
_V_

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:03 pm Reply with quote
If a pro-Palin fanblog is calling itself "Fist of the North Star"...

...someone seriously needs to make an anti-Palin fanblog named "Southern Cross"

there will be blood.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:04 pm Reply with quote
So? Who cares? Big deal, someone referances Fist of the North Star. People referance things all the time, it's no big deal. Even if this is under Interest, isn't there anything else out there that's a little more...I don't fun, maybe? The only thing this is gonna do is cause a huge flame war over why Palin sucks (which I don't think she does, but I HATE politics. screw presidants.) Way to go ANN. Do better next time, find something actually interesting and not something that's gonna cause controversy and a big flame war, judging by the current posts, that's what it'll turn into. "Palin sucks!" Rolling Eyes Someone is probably going to harp on me for saying screw presidants, as if that's the worst thing anyone could say. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
If a pro-Palin fanblog is calling itself "Fist of the North Star"...

...someone seriously needs to make an anti-Palin fanblog named "Southern Cross"

there will be blood.

Whether the blog was pro-Palin or not, who cares? It's a referance, like I said people referance things all the time. Secondly, you want an anti-Palin blog and finish it off by saying "There will be blood." You probably wouldn't like it if someone said "Slay Vice presidant [insert his name here]." (Yeah, I don't even know the vice presidants name, that's how much I give a hoot about politics and presidants.) You're probably gonna say the same thing about me now, because I said something anti-political. (I obviously don't support your politics, nor any, therefore there shall be blood on my part. Rolling Eyes ) Look, you don't have to like Palin or whoever, but saying things like "There will be blood" because you hate someone is just immature, and tells me you have issues. Are you gonna kill the next person who says "Down with Obama!"? I'm sure you'd hate that wouldn't you and wouldn't be able to handle it. That just makes you a hypocrite. You can say "There will be blood" to the people you hate, but if anybody crosses over and says something bad about your politics, it's sacrilegious blasphemy. I may hate politics, but I feel I have to say something about this. And the reason I hate politics is because people like you who say blood should be spilt on the opposing side, yet if someone on the opposing side says the same about your side, it's blasphemy. Hate builds more hate. You kill someone for opposing your side, be prepared for your side to have bloodshed as well. I'm speaking metaphorically of course, I hope it would never come to real violence.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, her stupidity does make heads explode.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
So? Who cares? Big deal, someone referances Fist of the North Star. People referance things all the time, it's no big deal.

A major pop culture magazine referencing a niche medium like anime is interesting to some people, so if it's not that big of a deal to you, maybe you can stop acting so condescending towards those who do find it interesting. Really, that you made a post as large as you did about the subject indicates maybe you're not as indifferent as you think you are (otherwise you wouldn't even have read the story).
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
So? Who cares? Big deal, someone referances Fist of the North Star. People referance things all the time, it's no big deal.

Anime is niche. It doesn't get ref'd all the time so it's sort of news.

When my daughter was just starting High School, I despaired people couldn't care to vote. There's that line about in a democracy we get the government we deserve.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I mentioned this. I wish politics and anime would not cross (I swear I saw "Obama caused the saiyajin to invade Earth!" It was fun and games, but still...). It's scary. Embarassed
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, Palin does have a way of making people's heads explode, just for the wrong reasons. Laughing D'oh! Beat me to it. Jinx! =p Oh, well, I just hope associating it with Palindrone doesn't kill it off for good here. Crying or Very sad I love the irony of the tea-baggers trying to co-opt this franchise, though, since Kenshiro would really have a problem with a black President, Mexican citizens, and the poor getting social security and universal health care. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by GATSU on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
machetecat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I really just.... don't want her anywhere near anime.

From the sexualized highschoolers to shows like Shin-chan saying "retarted", it's just NOT something I want a hardcore Christian self-proclaimed feminist conservative mixing with. No offense to the Christian conservatives, but most of the common themes portrayed in anime typically go against those politics. And with the way Palin likes to contradict herself at the turn of a hat, I'd prefer if anime continued to fly under her radar.
Duamerthrax

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
WatchforMoons7 wrote:
I mentioned this. I wish politics and anime would not cross (I swear I saw "Obama caused the saiyajin to invade Earth!" It was fun and games, but still...). It's scary. Embarassed

Then don't read The Legend of Koizumi http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Koizumi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2