• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Kirk Up Your Ears

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucariofan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I thought that it was an interesting interview. The explanation for One Piece made sense. I also thought that the Japanese voice actor issue was a better explanation as to why the uncut Yu-Gi-Oh! DVD's suddenly stopped. I love the idea of having two websites, one of which is dedicated to uncut material. While I don't have problems with a lot of the edits in most of the 4Kids dubs like other anime fans, I like that you seem interested and willing to appeal to people outside of the usual 4Kids demographic. I just think that shows a lot of nice effort and hard work.

I do have one question that I hoped would come up in the interview and I was hoping if you could answer it for me Mr. Krik. You mentioned during the interview that 5D's would be subbed on Toonzaki. That sounds great, but do you have any information about if GX will be subbed or if the rest of the series will be dubbed? There was an email response from one of the headmasters at 4Kidstv.com that said that 4Kids is looking into the possibility of working on GX again, although it could be subbed instead of dubbed. If you could, I would appreciate either confirming this information and if GX will end up on Toonzaki along with GX. Thank you in advance.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I will never have a big problem with editing for TV broadcast so long as an uncut, unedited version exists. And that is 4Kids' cardinal sin, that an uncut version, a more accurate and faithful version, of their shows, simply aren't available. Now, it's true that, in some cases, nobody's really looking for these uncut versions. Most people couldn't care less about having an uncut Pokemon release. But with One Piece, it was damn ridiculous that uncut version didn't exist for the sizable audience that wanted that.

At least they are taking steps to remedy this problem.

I agree with this. I completly understand that 4kids had to appease the networks, but the inability to see the shows uncut anywhere was frustrating. I was always more upset with the networks and the far too powerful FCC than 4kids.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
So in the podcast you said "see you next week" but in the article you say you are taking the next week off. Just to confirm, which is it?
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:58 am Reply with quote
Justin: "Plenty of people who want to cute animals shoot the shit out of each other."

Ever heard of Happy Tree Friends? Wink

"Gargoyle's Quest"

Gargoyle's Quest is a game. Gargoyles is the Disney cartoon.

Zac: "At least like three[marriage proposals] shouted from the audience."

Should've been there for the free screening of Advent Children which Rachel Leigh Cook attended. Laughing

"Next year is gonna be bleak."

I'm still hoping Captain America rocks.

Mark: "No realistic guns"

What about Batman: The Animated Series?

"Racially-insensitive material"

Makes me wonder how Popo made it on the air.

"package deal"

Weird. Last time I heard, FUNi wanted OP first, and 4Kids just made the higher bid.

"I see what they did and I see why they had to do it."

Bah. You could've still done a good edit without dumbing it down. Look at Voltron.

Geo: Kinnikuman Nisei's got some of the blandest voice acting I've ever heard-at least based on various Youtube clips I've sampled. Ultimate Muscle's one of the few dubs which improves on the Japanese version.

sonic: The actors for the anime might've been decided by SEGA.
ThegreatPirateKing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:20 am Reply with quote
That was a rather interesting interview and we finally got the definite answer on the whole One Piece issue. I've always understood that cultural differences mean that the shows have to be edited for an American television broadcast but like penguintruth said , fans were angry that no uncut version existed. That's probably the reason FUNimation eventually released an uncut version of Dragon Ball Z because it was profitable and would have given fans access to the original material.

This is the kind of question I wouldn't have asked over twitter since I doubt the majority care but I have a one song related question. For One Piece, we know that the original plans were to keep the original soundtrack in the show and re-dub the themes into English (Their version of We Are aired at an event). However, they changed both of these and we never heard about We Are/memories again for the American version. However, the sub-licensed Brazillian (or was it mexican) dub of the series dubbed both the rap and We Are/memories and what I can tell, their dub were adaptations of the lyrics written by 4kids. So what i'm asking is, how come these song dubs were never included with any release of the show? I loved the version of We Are I heard and would love another version of memories. I'm guessing you wouldn't know who sung and adapted the lyrics for these versions but I'd love to know if you did. I look forward to recieving a reply on this issue!
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:04 am Reply with quote
So yeah, the 4kids guy just looking for excuses....I'm not impressed. No real company would say "Well, fudge then, their not our demographic". I will forever hate 4kids, and so will MANY.
kikin0083

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:59 am Reply with quote
Graddick wrote:
Regarding Cat Shit One,
Zac wrote:
What kind of [expletive] sociopath wants to watch that?

I don't see what the problem is with photo-realistic bunnies being shot. The level of violence in that show isn't any higher than an episode of Band of Brothers. (Keep in mind I'm only comparing them in terms of amount of violence, otherwise BoB is superior) It seems to me that you are the "sick [expletive] sociopath" who would get more distraught at the bullet-riddled body of a rabbit than a bullet-riddle body of a human being.
In this case, the problem here is not Cat Shit One, but your own emotional baggage related to rabbits (your voice warmed over when mentioned you have some as pets)

You are right that this is carried purely by the novelty factor. War dramas are a dime a dozen and something as a good as Band of Brother or The Pacific only comes along once in a while. Cat Shit One can at least hold my attention, something that can't be said about the vast majority of war dramas.
It might turn in to something substantial, but if you're willing to dismiss something on such irrational grounds, then it will be your loss.

I agree with Graddick here about this, as soon as i heard zac has rabbits i was like "ok now i know where this is coming from" but i do like the show and hope it gets licensed. When i saw the trailer back then it reminded me alot of black hawk down in terms of the action sequences. A friend of mine who is a big anime fan and is in japan working got a chance to see it and loved it. And he is actually an Iraq War veteran, who saw some action in the front lines. And he said the technical aspect of it is very accurate. Zac buddy, its just a show about animals in war, an action war show, get over it.
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:19 am Reply with quote
This is probably the best thing to happen for 4kids since Pokemon. I hope it works out. But we need to support it for it to fully work.

I really feel without One Piece not as many people would complain about their other edits.
firecrouch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:57 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
So yeah, the 4kids guy just looking for excuses....I'm not impressed. No real company would say "Well, fudge then, their not our demographic". I will forever hate 4kids, and so will MANY.

If you listen to the explanation, he says that was one of the sentiments within 4Kids at the time. He's not making an excuse, just stating the facts.
Golfkid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:57 am Reply with quote
firecrouch wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

If you listen to the explanation, he says that was one of the sentiments within 4Kids at the time. He's not making an excuse, just stating the facts.

I know. I have tried to tell tons of people stuff like that and that the FCC tells them to make the edits. Many people just don't listen.

The question I have is how will 4Kids try to advertise for the websites and/or block?

cohenmarioman wrote:
This is probably the best thing to happen for 4kids since Pokemon. I hope it works out. But we need to support it for it to fully work.

I really feel without One Piece not as many people would complain about their other edits.

I agree with the top part and that the word needs to get out for this to work.

The OP quote I agree with also. People are so understanding of other companies that make edits for FCC rules. But when you bring up 4Kids or tell people that the FCC tells them to make edits, just like the other companies, it's a lie/not true. Even though, in the interview, it's proven what's been true for years. The FCC tells them to make the edits, 4Kids doesn't get "special make your own edits" treatment.
billybob8476

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:55 am Reply with quote
Who watches Cat Shit One? Fans of Happy Tree Friends thats who!!
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:31 am Reply with quote
billybob8476 wrote:

Same thing i was thinking. Happy Tree Friends was way more violent by comparison.
sepherest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:51 am Reply with quote
billybob8476 wrote:

And people such as myself who grew up reading and watching series such as Redwall and Watership Down - the latter was nightmare fuel compared to CSO! Laughing
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Guys guys, settle down. I don't really care what you think the "right" reaction to Cat Shit One is nor do I care that there have been a bunch of other movies and books that combine animals with realistic violent situations. Yes I've seen Watership Down and at least that was making some kind of a point about society rather than being just some badly-written shoot 'em up with a wa-a-a-acky gimmick. Regardless, violence + animals = unpleasant to me. GET OVER IT, as you might say!

Also to the guy telling me "no you're the sociopath!!!" (blindingly smart argument there btw kudos), it's been proven over and over again that most action movie audiences care way more about what happens to the hero's dog than they do about the hero himself, and shooting up a dog on-screen will empty a theater while shooting up a human on-screen obviously will not. That reaction isn't some "oh well they're not thinking about it right!!! WHY WOULD THEY CARE MORE ABOUT AN ANIMAL THAN A HUMAN BEING DURR", it's a natural and empathetic response to an inherently innocent animal being harmed.

Also pretty much nothing will change my mind on this whatsoever so continuing to argue with me about it is totally pointless, please don't waste your time. Just let it go.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I could believe his excuses for the edit until I think about Tokyo Mew Mew. That's where it falls flat. Mew Mew was pure ethnocentric bollox and nothing to do with the FCC. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6