• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Deathnote

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animekid08.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I LOVE deathnote. Does anyone know if it's still running in Japan? The encyclopedia says 8 volumes but is that all? Please answer my questions. Thank You.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
na-chan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:36 pm Reply with quote
its still going on in japan

[Link removed for linking to scanlation

Banned for making a new account after we banned your old one -t]
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Also, volume two just came out from Viz, if you're interested. Bought it today, really nice presentation on Viz's part, IMO.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I saw it at borders, i love the opaque-glossy (whatever the term is) of the cover.... i like petting it

i'm still iffy about the "light" translation... i know that "raito" is the same, but it sounds better and (according to the ann article) it can also be translated to "write"

and i think i read that raito tells the wife of Penber (i only remember her husbands last name because it was supposed to be american, but it sounded so weird...) that his name was :tsuki" or moon with different furigana (which i assume was written in katakana)
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:15 pm Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
and i think i read that raito tells the wife of Penber (i only remember her husbands last name because it was supposed to be american, but it sounded so weird...) that his name was :tsuki" or moon with different furigana (which i assume was written in katakana)

Yeah, I can't read Japanese or anything, but he does point out in volume 2 that "Light" is written with the kanji for moon, to which he comments, "pretty unusual, huh?" Not knowing much Japanese, I was more interested when he said that Yagami is written with the kanji for dark (yami) and god (kami, which changes to gami when combined with other characters). I think Light works because of the idea that he is trying to bring holy light to the world, killing off the sinful people, but contrasts the fact that it is a false light he brings. Having his name mean "write" is interesting too, though...
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
shirokiryuu wrote:

Yeah, I can't read Japanese or anything, but he does point out in volume 2 that "Light" is written with the kanji for moon, to which he comments, "pretty unusual, huh?" Not knowing much Japanese, I was more interested when he said that Yagami is written with the kanji for dark (yami) and god (kami, which changes to gami when combined with other characters). I think Light works because of the idea that he is trying to bring holy light to the world, killing off the sinful people, but contrasts the fact that it is a false light he brings. Having his name mean "write" is interesting too, though...

i thought his name meant "night god" but i can't remember.. i think "ya" means night, like the kanji in "inuyasha" (which means dog demon, but the second kanji means night) 犬

or the opening song of DNAngel "byakuya" or white night 白

but then again i don't know any japanese, and i remember night by itself it pronouced yoru.. like the akfg song yoru to mukou (beyond the night)

so i'm assuming it's typed 夜神?
prettygirl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I read the first chapter of Deathnote in Shonen Jump, found it super freaky, then decided to stop reading it. Can you share some insight as to why you 'love' it so much Animekid08?
Suikoden6880

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I think Death Note is really awesome series so far. The animation is great and so is the storyline, IMO. I found it to be quite unique..
prettygirl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Okay... I think I need to elaborate here. I found Deathnote freaky because of the entire concept of have a notebook of death. Keep in mind I have only read the first (maybe first few) chapters of Deathnote.

I do not like the idea of having a boy, who by the way is only a teenager, writing in the deaths of people whom he thinks deserves to die. What right does he have to decide who does and does not deserve to die? Sure, the news showed a guy who robbed a bank (I think... it was his first vicitim anyways) and held people hostage but have you stopped to think about why the guy is robbing a bank? We don't know the entire context of the situation. What if the robber was actually a desperate father who was trying to rob a bank peacefully so he could have money to save his dying daughter in the hospital, but his plans were ruined and the cops were called, and so the only thing this poor desperate father could do was hold the bankers hostage in fear. Does this mean he deserves to be sentanced to the book of death??? *puff, puff*... breathing deeply.

Anyways, that's why I didn't like Deathnote. Now would someone mind sharing their thoughts on why they like Deathnote so much?
The Winking Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:17 pm Reply with quote
[quote="prettygirl"]
I do not like the idea of having a boy, who by the way is only a teenager, writing in the deaths of people whom [i]he[/i] thinks deserves to die. What right does [i]he[/i] have to decide who does and does not deserve to die? Sure, the news showed a guy who robbed a bank (I think... it was his first vicitim anyways) and held people hostage but have you stopped to think about why the guy is robbing a bank? We don't know the entire context of the situation. What if the robber was actually a desperate father who was trying to rob a bank peacefully so he could have money to save his dying daughter in the hospital, but his plans were ruined and the cops were called, and so the only thing this poor desperate father could do was hold the bankers hostage in fear. Does this mean he deserves to be sentanced to the book of death??? *puff, puff*... breathing deeply.

Anyways, that's why I didn't like Deathnote. Now would someone mind sharing their thoughts on why they like Deathnote so much?[/quote]

You're missing the point entirely. One of the reasons I love Deathnote so much is because Light is such of bastard. Almost never in manga (or literature for that matter) is the Protagonist the bad guy. I've only heard of this in the Shakespeare play Macbeth. Light feels he has this immense responsibility to fix the world through use of the Deathnote. The great irony is that he himself has become the evil that's he's trying to eradicate. I found it terribly interesting that as L comes closer and closer to nailing him, Light's moral code disappears. He goes from casting judgement on murderers to killing innocent people who were getting too close. Light's progression is one of the key story elements that keeps me coming back. But yes: this story is not for the faint of heart. Light does cruel and horrible things for the sake of his perfect world. I'm really hoping he gets his comeuppance. Just not quite yet.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:57 pm Reply with quote
prettygirl wrote:
I do not like the idea of having a boy, who by the way is only a teenager, writing in the deaths of people whom he thinks deserves to die. What right does he have to decide who does and does not deserve to die?

Like The Winking Samurai said, Light may be the protagonist, but he's very much an evil person. In fact, you get that idea in the very first chapter, when Ryuk says something to effect of "If you kill all the bad people, you'll be the only bad person left" to which Light just laughs off.

Aside from the basic premise and sickening execution, I have to admire how enjoyable the first two volumes have been as a suspense thriller. It's just so neat to see how Light and L continously outdo each other. I don't have too many outward expressions while reading a manga, but Death Note really has me on the edge of my seat with every page.

Another totally separate thing is that I really enjoy Takeshi Obata's artwork, so I was a fan of Death Note before I even read it. Luckily, I ended up enjoying the series itself.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:50 pm Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
Necros Antiquor wrote:
shirokiryuu wrote:

i thought his name meant "night god" but i can't remember.. i think "ya" means night, like the kanji in "inuyasha" (which means dog demon, but the second kanji means night) 犬

or the opening song of DNAngel "byakuya" or white night 白

but then again i don't know any japanese, and i remember night by itself it pronouced yoru.. like the akfg song yoru to mukou (beyond the night)

so i'm assuming it's typed 夜神?

Yami is generally translated as "dark" or "the dark," which is pretty similar to night anyways. Anyone who is a fan of the Yu-Gi-Oh manga will know that Yugi's alter ego is Yami Yugi, or Dark Yugi, due to his extreme penalty games early on in the manga. (He softened up too much later on for him to really be called Yami Yugi...)
Animekid08.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:51 pm Reply with quote
prettygirl wrote:
I read the first chapter of Deathnote in Shonen Jump, found it super freaky, then decided to stop reading it. Can you share some insight as to why you 'love' it so much Animekid08?

I find it very interesting that a booklet can actually kil people. But most of all, I love how smart of clever Light is. I love where he hid the Deathnote, how he spoiler[killed Pember's fiance] and my favorite his door survailance trick. I actually use it on my room now. I also saw something odd in the encyclopedia. Under Deathnote trivia it says that an anime is not being made because of the contoversy surrounding the series. What is the controversey? Please explain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What is the controversey?

Controversy in that it could inspire angsty teenagers to start writing people's names down in their own "Death Note". The fact that it deals with vigilantism and mass murder in a publication primarily aimed at young boys is probobly enough to cause controversy.
The Winking Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:14 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Kagemusha"]The fact that it deals with vigilantism and mass murder in a publication primarily aimed at young boys is probobly enough to cause controversy.[/quote]

It's books like these that make me wonder what Jump's real target demographic is. I mean, is Death Note really meant for kids?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2