• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Negima! GN 26

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
immortalrite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Negima's so-called "busy artwork" was something I always liked about the series. Perhaps because I am not much of a manga reader, and do not have a great deal of other artists to which I can compare him, but I really appreciate Akamatsu's attention to detail, not only in terms of the backgrounds, but also the character's facial expressions, which can range anywhere from very subtle (a tiny smirk or a cocked eyebrow) to completely excessive. I also feel as though if I'm paying for a comic, I ought to get something which actually takes some decent amount of time to read and gives me something to look at. By contrast, I think of Welcome to the NHK, which at times takes only a matter of seconds to blow through three or four pages, usually consisting of only one or two lines of dialogue on top of entirely black, undetailed backgrounds.

That said, I do agree that this volume in particular was a bit disappointing in the plot department, particularly compared to the one which preceded it. Here's to 27 hopefully being a significant improvement Exclamation
ultimafullmetal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:35 pm Reply with quote
immortalrite wrote:
Actually, Negima's so-called "busy artwork" was something I always liked about the series. Perhaps because I am not much of a manga reader, and do not have a great deal of other artists to which I can compare him, but I really appreciate Akamatsu's attention to detail, not only in terms of the backgrounds, but also the character's facial expressions, which can range anywhere from very subtle (a tiny smirk or a cocked eyebrow) to completely excessive. I also feel as though if I'm paying for a comic, I ought to get something which actually takes some decent amount of time to read and gives me something to look at. Exclamation

I agree completely. I enjoy all the dialogue especially. I guess I can understand why some wouldn't like It but It's something I really enjoy about Akamatsu's work.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There is at least one area where obsessive details are a plus, though: Akamatsu's appendices on magical theory provide unique insights on the use of sorcery in world cultures.

I usually skip that section. I find it extremely boring and frankly I don't really care what the attacks mean or where they came from.

This volume was a bit of a meh one. Negi continues to tick me off, and I keep hoping he'll get killed off for good. Yeah, I know, not gonna happen, but seriously, I wish he'd quit acting so mopey and emo. Nobody else gets all whiney when they get their asses kicked. They pick themselves up and go back and kick ass themselves!
sukochi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:36 am Reply with quote
hope you guys get to see the DVD based on this volume...Another World #3 is already out (here in japan) and we just finished #4 and the backgrounds are pretty much identical (shot for shot in some parts) so look forward to the DVDs.
kill-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:13 am Reply with quote
sukochi wrote:
hope you guys get to see the DVD based on this volume...Another World #3 is already out (here in japan) and we just finished #4 and the backgrounds are pretty much identical (shot for shot in some parts) so look forward to the DVDs.

huh?

Another World #3 is based on vol 22 ( http://negima.kc.kodansha.co.jp/story/03.html ), #4 on vol 23+24 ( http://negima.kc.kodansha.co.jp/story/04.html ) , and the ExtraOAD on 24-25.
Shichimi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Another guy jumping on the 'I like the bust artwork' bandwagon here. The little touches of detail in the backgrounds makes Negima a pleasure to read for me. Although I definitely agree that the series has been in something of a rut lately.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I would much rather have Negima's busy artwork than, say, Bleach's layouts, where it's not uncommon to have whole pages dedicated to two or three panels of an energy blast and speed lines.
sukochi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:21 pm Reply with quote
kill-chan wrote:
sukochi wrote:

huh?

Another World #3 is based on vol 22 ( http://negima.kc.kodansha.co.jp/story/03.html ), #4 on vol 23+24 ( http://negima.kc.kodansha.co.jp/story/04.html ) , and the ExtraOAD on 24-25.

oops sorry, wasnt really paying attention to the numbers....they kinda merge i thought... hehe my mistake sorry. i have to admit, i dint read all of the negima comics....i only read the e-conte. hehe
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:51 am Reply with quote
I don't mind these "time-filling" chapters, mainly because having followed the manga on a week-to-week basis, these are easy chapters for Akamatsu-sensei and his staff to do while they plot and plan the next major segment of the current arc.
Wooga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:45 am Reply with quote
Shichimi wrote:
Another guy jumping on the 'I like the bust artwork'

Ha ha, Fruedian slips Laughing
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:00 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Nobody else gets all whiney when they get their asses kicked. They pick themselves up and go back and kick ass themselves!

You don't watch a lot of anime, or read a lot of manga besides Naruto, do you? Well, even Naruto's getting Emo all the time, so that's no longer true. Watch more anime, read more manga, THEN you can talk about how shounen protagonists don't get emo when the loose.

Spoiler: they do. Most of them.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:08 pm Reply with quote
sukochi wrote:

I hope to god the OADs get licensed here.
Shichimi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
Shichimi wrote:
Another guy jumping on the 'I like the bust artwork'

Ha ha, Fruedian slips Laughing

*Whistles nonchalantly* Razz But no, I really do like the way Aamatsu packs a lot of detail in there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1