• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: New Maid Café Opens in Richmond, B.C.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:20 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Past wrote:
KanjiiZ wrote:
Hope it fails hard enough for no one to ever think about bringing this outside of Japan again.
You're serious? If so, why may I ask?

I've despised the very idea of maid cafes from the very beginning since I saw it in Tokyo Eye. The appeal quite moronic. A "cute" maid that pretends to have the mentality of a child comes to you, acts like a weak woman and serves you overpriced coffee and cake. Oh, and don't forget you can pay her to play pattyfreakin' cake with you!

I'm sure some guy is going to come into the thread and argue that it's not like that at all, but I'm sure if you interviewed half the people that go to Akiba's cafes they'd tell you that they go there for the 3D moe effect. If this cafe is heading in that direction, I hope it falls flat on its face.

While I won't argue about what these places are like since I've never been to one, I will say that it isn't the coffee and cake that you're buying. It's the atmosphere and service. If people are willing to pay for that, then why not take advantage of it.? It's supply and demand.

It's not much different than women paying gobs of money for champagne at a host club because what they're really buying is time with the host.

If it isn't illegal, and people are willing to pay, then I won't fault anyone who gives a business a shot.
Saturn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I think the idea of theme restaurants/cafes is adorable, and while maid cafes aren't my cup of tea (harhar), I hope they catch on so that theme places become more common. I've been to a couple maid cafes and found them a little awkward (been to a butler cafe too, and it was just as awkward), but gothic cafes, lolita cafes, and whatnot are a blast.
Koji98

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:01 am Reply with quote
chefneer wrote:
Past wrote:
chefneer wrote:
Ain't Canada grand? Awsome place.

Hmm. I wonder how a cosplay cafe would fare in Texas?
Probably not well with a boys-love theme or crossdressing maids Anime hyper

Heh, probably not. Laughing

You just have to stay within areas like D/FW and Houston and such. If you go out to small towns, then yeah, you will be eaten alive.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:14 am Reply with quote
rain-sama wrote:
Hell yeah!! I'm just an hour from Richmond!!

mdo7 wrote:
zeonozero wrote:
Too bad they wont look as good as anime Razz unless they get some really hot girls.
But i have never been to Canada, so i can't say if the girls over there are fine or anything.
But dang i like anime/manga continuing to be influential even in Canada.
I would pay double tip every time i went there Smile

I agree, my concern are the ladies. Not that we need Asian girls only or anything. But I'm afraid the girls they use might not be hot enough. So maybe if it's possible to maybe use hot models to maybe attract people who are not even anime fan.

It's nice to see a maid cafe opened up in Canada. I wonder how it would do.

Uhmm Metro Vancouver has no shortage of hot chicks, that I can assure you.

I believe you. I got a several quick questions, do any of the hot chicks in Vancouver know what anime/manga are? Do any of them know about maid cafe's origin? Are they willing to dress up as a maid to well, attract people?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:43 am Reply with quote
Koji98 wrote:
chefneer wrote:
Past wrote:
chefneer wrote:

You just have to stay within areas like D/FW and Houston and such. If you go out to small towns, then yeah, you will be eaten alive.

Yeah, that's what's got me wondering. I'm on the Fort Worth side of DFW and anime and manga are readily available in stores with large selections to choose from. My local Borders has made manga a focus point of the store (the manager's a fan, every time I go in there we end up talking for a good while), and anime's on TV 24/7/365 (Funimation Channel, among others).

I don't think Japan style interactive service would go over very well, but if the cosplay were done properly, and the food and service were good... I wonder.

It would certainly be different from anything else you can find around here, which can be a good thing. Or not. Perhaps some market research is in order.
ryonomiko
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Before judging why it opened or will it succeed or how the women may be degraded (no such extra services as mentioned by some are offered), why not read about it first? The owner is a woman, she knows what maid cafes are. Richmond has a high Asian population and anime/manga is popular. This is the article in the Richmond News:

http://www.richmond-news.com/life/Dressing+your+side+salad/3304156/story.html
Saturn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:07 pm Reply with quote
chefneer wrote:
Koji98 wrote:
chefneer wrote:
Past wrote:
chefneer wrote:

Yeah, that's what's got me wondering. I'm on the Fort Worth side of DFW and anime and manga are readily available in stores with large selections to choose from. My local Borders has made manga a focus point of the store (the manager's a fan, every time I go in there we end up talking for a good while), and anime's on TV 24/7/365 (Funimation Channel, among others).

I don't think Japan style interactive service would go over very well, but if the cosplay were done properly, and the food and service were good... I wonder.

It would certainly be different from anything else you can find around here, which can be a good thing. Or not. Perhaps some market research is in order.

I think if something like that were to succeed, DFW would probably be the place to do it. There's a pretty solid concentration of Japanese-culture fans in the area, not to mention a bunch of cons. But on the plus side, the area in general is a little more accessible than the Houston area.
So. Someone with money, open one up! I will visit you!

*oh and just as an aside, most food in Japanese maid cafes tastes like cardboard.
But actually that's the way it is in MOST cafes in Japan. Looks better than it tastes *shrug* don't think that would go over well in the western world.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
ryonomiko wrote:
Before judging why it opened or will it succeed or how the women may be degraded (no such extra services as mentioned by some are offered), why not read about it first? The owner is a woman, she knows what maid cafes are. Richmond has a high Asian population and anime/manga is popular. This is the article in the Richmond News:

http://www.richmond-news.com/life/Dressing+your+side+salad/3304156/story.html

That just means there'd be no leg stockings and flash panties. Laughing

enurtsol wrote:
zeonozero wrote:
Too bad they wont look as good as anime Razz unless they get some really hot girls.

If they're gonna do this and succeed, then they have to do this unabashedly. By that, I mean Hooters forget-womens-lib-pc unabashedly! Laughing

No Japanese Hooters creepiness = no succeed Laughing
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
*oh and just as an aside, most food in Japanese maid cafes tastes like cardboard.
But actually that's the way it is in MOST cafes in Japan. Looks better than it tastes *shrug* don't think that would go over well in the western world.

never been to one but I've heard that too... However I've read a lot of good things about the one in CA, so I definitely am gonna visit someday. Much closer to me than B.C., Canada lol.
I know looks can be deceiving, but the food looks so good

enurtsol wrote:
No Japanese Hooters creepiness = no succeed Laughing

Wouldn't that require like, plastic surgery though?
Ok, I kid ..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3