• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - The Role Ahead

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Raikuro wrote:
Tales games would probably draw more attention if they included some kind of extra VS mode. It could include the main cast and also let you play as bosses that have hi-ougis (unlocked as you progress through the story, and toned down for some balance).

Needing to force in multiplayer modes in every game is one of the worst things about recent gaming. I miss the days when single player games focused on making the best single player game they could instead of feeling the need to add in unnecessary multiplayer modes.

Exactly. I remember when they recently announced that Bioshock Infinite would be dropping the multiplayer in it and my immediate first thought was, "good!!". I'm not saying all single-player series adding multi-player are automatically bad (I haven't started the Assassin's Creed series yet, but I've heard their multiplayer is fairly good) but it seems to be the exception not the rule.

Besides, Tales game do offer replay value with their numerous New Game Plus options.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Raikuro wrote:
Tales games would probably draw more attention if they included some kind of extra VS mode. It could include the main cast and also let you play as bosses that have hi-ougis (unlocked as you progress through the story, and toned down for some balance).

Needing to force in multiplayer modes in every game is one of the worst things about recent gaming. I miss the days when single player games focused on making the best single player game they could instead of feeling the need to add in unnecessary multiplayer modes.

Hey now I found the 4 player multi-player for tales of symphonia to be rather fun. If they would include something like that with online play, as a bonus rather than a requirement then It would be great. Think about it the ability to help you friend get past a hard boss or puzzle together.

Edited: I am really start to hate tablets now.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raikuro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
But (most) Tales games already are multi-player games...

Anyway, a VS mode like I suggested would just be taking what's already in the game, and letting people play with it in smaller instances, instead of having to go through the whole game over again to fight one specific person. Kind of like the VS mode in Zone of the Enders. It's something that just wouldn't work as a full fledged game, but as a bonus mode would be great.
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:11 am Reply with quote
So when it's all said and done, I'll have the 1st issue and the last issue of Nintendo Power. I know some of you collectors will shudder to hear that all the issues in between have been/will be recycled. Still, I find the homage to the first issue to be very fitting. It's hard to believe that I've been receiving a copy of NP in my mailbox every month for 24 years!

I feel a little sad, and a little old.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:36 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

So yeah, simply saying Tales has cliches is misleading. It would be like me saying Watchmen has superheroes and that's it, or Evangelion has mecha and that's it.

Well, some people didn't watch Watchmen because of superheroes, and some people didn't watch Evangelion because of mecha. So, cliche could stop people in their tracks. Smile
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:48 am Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:

I bet they'd sell at least a few hundred more copies if they gave us a bi-lingual version sometime.
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And it'll be the best Mega Man game we'll see this year.

Yeah and by default the worst Mega Man game too.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:54 am Reply with quote
Great news on all the recent localisations.....I really need my PS3 repaired.

Wonderful piece on the Nintendo Power stuff - my first issue as a kid was the one that functioned as a Super Mario Bros. 3 guide & it probably looks about as tattered as the Maniac Mansion issue in the picture if not more......my whole family loved that game to death back in the day.

While I don't disagree about there being a whole marketing aspect of the magazine, even into its later years when the N64/Pokemon craze was around or when NDS games were selling like hotcakes, Nintendo Power remained the only magazine I've ever found to be fun enough to read straight off the newspaper stand or through in-frequent subscriptions - other magazines like Playstation, Game Informer, or even People/random fashion mags only ever seemed to have like 1 or 2 articles worth checking. Nintendo Power never disappointed me in covering fun, lighthearted games/events from cover to cover. I'll certainly miss it going forward.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Actually most of the games in the tales series have featured multiplayer.(i believe only the first game, legendia, and a couple spin-offs did not have multiplayer) The battle system is well suited for co-op. I remember how fun and hectic fighting bosses in Tales of Symphonia was with a couple of friends. Anyway i am really looking forward to Ni-no-Kuni, Tales of Xillia, and (hopefully) the black rock shooter game.
naninanino

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:55 am Reply with quote
It seems my ps3 will get some JRPG action next year. Too bad there is nothing for christmas.
Altacia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ANGVX9I/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

For the Conversation Earlier..

Atelier Ayesha...

Sort of hope that is wrong, I'd rather have NIS America put it out..
superdry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Altacia wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ANGVX9I/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Atelier Ayesha...

Tecmo-Koei does do distribution for NISA from time to time. That's why some games when looked at Amazon say by "Koei" or "Tecmo-Koei." Sometimes Atlus also handles distribution of NISA titles.
Altacia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Altacia wrote:

Atelier Ayesha...

Tecmo-Koei does do distribution for NISA from time to time. That's why some games when looked at Amazon say by "Koei" or "Tecmo-Koei." Sometimes Atlus also handles distribution of NISA titles.

Hope you're right...

After a quick Amazon search of Rorona/Meruru it mentions Koei before you click on the title, Then it says "By NIS America". Totori just says Tecmo-Koei.

Wish someone would say something solid for the NA release, March seems a bit strange for NISA to release though.... With Neptunia releasing March 12th{ish}.

Anime cry I gather from NIS Europe's facebook they are having nothing to do with Ayesha's European release.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Todd wrote:
I'm fairly certain that Miyazaki holds video games in the same contempt he reserves for smartphones, the Iraq War, and children who've never seen a fish butchered alive.

Todd I'm fairly certain this is one of the best sentences you've written in a while
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2