• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey: ANN Reader Survey

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Although I didn't because it might be considered quite creepy/weird, I almost selected for favorite activity Zac.

Obviously I didn't, because as humorous as that sounds, that might be considered weird.

Interesting survey though. Haven't done one (here) in a long time.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I note the final list of activities includes:
    Zac Bertschy
    Justin Sevakis

Do I want to know how these activities are performed?
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Do I want to know how these activities are performed?

I would assume orally. (Edit: HAHA! Didn't even notice the oopsy here. I was referring to the ANN Cast, perverts)

I finished the survey. Will these be compiled into a graph once the survey is closed? I'm curious to know the results of several questions.

I'm really hoping the question about visiting Japan means we can hook up with the staff as they visit Tokyo for a convention.

Well, back to the forum.

*hops in time machine
hussar67

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Just a suggestion, but I think there should be a third option besides "Monthly subscription" and "A la carte":

Ad supported.

I know that's how I prefer to consume anime. Syfy, [adult swim], Hulu, FUNimation.com/video, Crunchyroll, etc. is how I'd prefer to "pay" for watching anime. I think it's still a viable system, now that they're getting the simulcast and quickcast deals with the Japanese.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
On the Sub or Dub question, option 5 says "Doesn't male a difference." I think someone's finger slipped.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:51 pm Reply with quote
PROCRASTINATING! I'm a pro at that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I did my patriotic duty and filled out the survey. One minor suggestion: the questions that asks how frequently we "download" fansubs...perhaps it should ask how frequently we download/stream fansubs. I don't download fansubs at all, but I stream several shows per season. (In my case, I just assumed "download" also meant streaming and answered accordingly.)
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I choose Zac and Justin as favorite activities. So...when do I get to do this activity?
J. Kudo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Where's the option for "Veoh"? Under "Other..." ? Mad Razz
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote
"Zac Bertschy" and "Justin Sevakis" are actually both verbs with different but similar meanings.

To "Zac Bertschy" is to outwardly maintain a completely deadpan and grumpy persona, while actually being shockingly open-minded and enthused.

To "Justin Sevakis" is to maintain a cheerful, warm demeanor, while the cauldrons of fire and hate burn only millimeters beneath the surface.

So you see, both are valid activities.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I think the "other" option for hobbies that adds to the list needs to be taken off, or changed so that it doesn't add to the list. It has far too much potential to become NSFW (and already has questionable options on the list), as well as people duplicating options because they're not paying attention.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
When I answered it, other than the typos, I have a couple issues with some of the of the questions:

1. Sub or dub: For me, it's not that simple. Technically I prefer both, but for dubs, it depends on how true they are to the source material, and whether or not they incorporate "colorful" terminology. You see, technically there is no such thing as "swearing" in Japan per se, and recognizing that, if I was to watch a dub of a show that would be considered "family-friendly" by Japanese standards, then an English dub (and sub for that matter, but I digress) would need to reflect that by avoiding translating certain terms as "swearing"; with all due respect, fans aren't the only ones who watch anime (and no mainstream viewers aren't the only ones either, but I digress). In short, I "prefer" both, but I'm only willing to watch a dub if it actually takes into account who the show was really made for (i.e., and not just the fans), and what the show is really all about, so by default, I answered with "doesn't make a difference".

2. and 3. Both "am I willing to pay to watch anime online" questions: Technically I do pay a subscription, but only because one show in particular (Fairy Tail) is available only to subscribers. The only thing I'm willing to pay for in regards to supporting the anime industry is DVDs (by which I mean both "DVDs" and "Blu-Ray discs" as well; for the latter it depends on what's being released). If Fairy Tail was available to everybody (just like the rest of Crunchyroll's streamed anime), then I actually wouldn't be getting the subscription right now. Don't get me wrong. Online streaming is a great idea, but I'm against the idea of treating it like premium channels on cable TV where you pay extra to watch them. For these reasons among others, I answered no to both questions. I'm only willing to watch "free" (and of course, legal) online streaming.

4. and 5. The two questions about my interest in anime and manga: I only answered "Casual Fan" because I'm not what you would call "hardcore" by any means, but I'm not a mainstream viewer who doesn't know the difference either. I guess you could say I'm somewhere in between, but that either way, I do "know the difference".

While I didn't really have a problem with the survey as a whole (again, other than the typos), there were some questions that for me, were more than just the simple answers given, so I just thought I would address them here.
Alien1375

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
To "Zac Bertschy" is to outwardly maintain a completely deadpan and grumpy persona, while actually being shockingly open-minded and enthused.

To "Justin Sevakis" is to maintain a cheerful, warm demeanor, while the cauldrons of fire and hate burn only millimeters beneath the surface.

So, Zac is considered a Tsundere and Justin is considered a Yandere at ANN?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Justin: Damn. Then I forgot to add Zac. I'm wondering if anyone will be honest enough to click on "masturbation". Laughing
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
There should be a "Physical Media Die-Hard; if I'm paying money, I want a store-bought prepackaged hard copy, dagnabit" option whenever applicable on that survey for those of us Luddites not the slightest bit interested in digital distribution of anime or manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4