• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods' Full Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noigeL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Highly anticipating it, but question is, if this happens after the buu saga, why the hell is Goku not fighting in SS3 mode????

Goku discovered Super Saiyan 3 while he was dead. When fighting in that form against Kid Boo while alive, he realized it drains his Ki and thus he can only stay in that form for a limited period of time.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Come to think of it, Goku probably wouldn't use SSJ3 right away if he thought it was just a friendly fight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
A5J4DX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
cant wait! the legend returns!
digiinuyasha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Why is King Kai alive? Shouldn't he have a halo around his head?
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote
VegettoEX wrote:

I'm really curious what you mean. What about it looks like a mess? What looks gimmicky?

Goku goes up against a "god," which just adds to DBZ's convoluted history of gods, that looks like a pokemon, and to pad out the film before Goku inevitably wins you get to see all your "favorite" power ups from periphery characters who only exist to be cannon fodder and make Goku look better from comparison (i.e. trunks and goten transforming into gotenks, powered up vegeta and picollo, etc. etc.). There's really not much to get excited about, but if memory serves I don't think I've ever been overly excited or impressed by a DBZ movie. They've always been mildly disappointing.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
Looking forward to if/when it gets a dub. I don't know how it takes place 'several years' after Buu's defeat when Trunks and Goten look the same as they did when it happened. I'd say it takes place months after that.

Do you really want to question that logic? Goku was 12 when the original series started, and he looked like he was 6-years-old. It took him until he was 18 to even remotely look adult.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
How long is this movie supposed to be, also I haven't seen any minions so far which is kind of worrisome. They seem to be packing this movie full of Z-Senshi, they're gonna need people to fight, and if they all get bodied by the movie villain that's kind of a buzzkill. Give em some cannon fodder!
Animefan16

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:59 am Reply with quote
Hawkwing wrote:
TopGunman wrote:
Looking forward to if/when it gets a dub. I don't know how it takes place 'several years' after Buu's defeat when Trunks and Goten look the same as they did when it happened. I'd say it takes place months after that.

If i remember correctly, Vegeta said that sayains is aging slower than humans.

I forgot about that. Yeah, he said that spoiler[after the final time skip where Goku left with Uub.] Come to think of it, Gohan himself didn't look much older in the android saga than in the frieza which happened three years before. I'm guessing the movie takes place at most three years after the Buu saga.
qjackson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Seeing that I have love/hate relationship with DBZ I surprised to say I'm excited for this. I just hope that it blows my socks off since its been 7-8 years since anything new from DBZ came out (that wasn't a video game).
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote
^We have had new animated works ranging from the intros of video games on the PS1 to airing again with an abridged version worldwide (close enough, UK is getting it next year) OVA works penned by Toriyama or Ooishi last year. We haven't been that starved for Dragon Ball even if you demand new animation from TOEI exclusively.

Spotlesseden wrote:
shouldn't the title be God of Gods? Why Battle of Gods?

As VegettoEX said, it would be "God and God" literally. Fortunately, "Battle of Gods" is also featured there and has the same meaning going with the "Gods are fighting each thing" (you can include Goku... maybe...) More or less the concept behind your "God of Gods" probably. So we probably won't had 7 English translated names for this one (short and sweet names), now the characters, that's another question even if it is only two guys.

It's a rare case where they don't poorly and literally translate a name... With Engrish as a bonus.

penguintruth wrote:
Well, most DBZ movies go the same way. Goku will probably only go SSJ1 the first time he fights the Movie Only Villain, thinking that should be enough, and get his ass kicked easily. Then in the rematch, SSJ2 until it proves ineffective, and then finally SSJ3 which will obliterate MOV. If he just went SSJ3 from the start, it would save him a lot of grief, but hey, it would be a short movie.

I'm hoping for a little variety, though.

Aside from my personal doubt of TOEI even knowing what a SSJ2 is, Goku has dominated many of a movie in a single strike simply as it is the last five minutes of the movie. The few movies which avoid it include Janemba and Bojack (and I guess Cooler's first movie) which both had conditional transformations as some justification, otherwise he is losing the fight, power up out of nowhere or at least out of proportion with the effort shown over the movie.

penguintruth wrote:
Come to think of it, Goku probably wouldn't use SSJ3 right away if he thought it was just a friendly fight.

I can't say Goku has gone full power in every fight he has gone into from the start, but he doesn't seem to hold back forms.
He could have done some fisticuffs with #20 as heck he can't sense how strong the guy is and the two only have the feat of destroying a future where they train less, Goku dies of a disease and injuring Yamcha.

He did hide SSJ3 from Vegeta initially, but in that case, he didn't seem to need it as they were pretty even. It is likely closer to Kaioken by comparison as it has some risk factor in it's use.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Did not all of the characters, I mean generations of them, should already die from an old age?

The story is beaten to death, is not it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2