• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Amagami SS & SS+ (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylark

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:19 am Reply with quote
I'm not really sure I want to see the rest of this series; I've seen the girl I wanted to see, and honestly the fact that the lead character doesn't really develop, while characteristic of a harem-type setup, really makes this series rather bland. Ai is so far my favourite female in the series of mini-arcs, but the protagonist was just boring. And some of the events and occurrences this time around were just plain stupid. Like, the whole spoiler[Ahh! I seem to be a bowl or ramen! Ahh! You ate me!] was ridiculous; not even funny, just straight up face in hands "Why am I watching this crap" knobglob. I had a similar facepalming moment at the spoiler[food stand, with the two unknown chicks who had to sample the food; it was so typical yet over-dramatised and argh] that I found myself just skipping past it until the next actual part of the story took place. I have stopped finding anything in the series funny, and the arcs are too poorly fleshed out to leave me with any sense of satisfaction or empathy towards any of the characters before we are whisked off to a new story.

I don't blame the length of the arcs though. Look at REC - each episode is 10-12 mins long iirc and the series is about 12 episodes. This, counting out the OPs and EDs of each episode would roughly equate to the same amount of playtime I'd wager; yet REC made me involved with the characters and engaged me in the story. Amagami just won't let me in. It wastes too much time on failed gags and spends not enough giving me what visual novels do - at the very least a sense of relationship to the characters. I've given you my time, Amagami; I think it's about time you paid me back a little bit. I really have tried liking this series but it's starting to get to me; rather than one unsatisfactory finish to a series we're going to get 6 in 1 series. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:13 am Reply with quote
Well... Amagami has a different goal. REC is the evolution of one relationship, not just an adaptation of several routes of a VN. The screen time might be roughly the same, but the writing isn't as inspired, and the creators obviously had to divide their attention between several parallel plots.
Personally I hadn't even planned watching any of the arcs where the girls weren't interesting (and so this was my last episode).
At least we get a more or less satisfying conclusion.
Gentry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Ai was my favourtie character model but she had no story what so ever. I was expecting something along the lines of her swimming club or more likely her brother.

Does the game have this little story to it. It seems like the anime has deliberately taken out the plot elements to spend more time giving us tit shots and odd fetishes spread out over 4 episodes an arc. Ai's climax episode was a complete non-event apart from getting to see her nice round backside bobbing on the surface of the hotspring (maybe this show is aimed at people like me) but it spends most it's time hinting that the class president arc is going to be the one to hang about for.

I was looking forward to next weeks episode as Rihoko is another character I like even though her voice and look do seem to scream Yui from K-on! to me for some reason but if it's just going to be four episodes of "oh ain't I a silly girl" then it's going to be a chore.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I was just wondering but, have they shown this girl yet? I know she'll have her arc (which I didn't read much about but I expect 2 episodes?), but I'd love to see her meanwhile. She looks cute, has a cute voice, and she's yandere. What else do we need?

Up to now it's turned out the way I expected.
Ai > Haruka > Kaoru > moe/clumsy girls.
What I expect of future episodes:
Risa > Ai > Haruka > Tsukasa > Kaoru > Miya > moe/clumsy girls.
Accounting for all the characters + future episodes:
Risa > Ai > Haruka > Tsukasa > Hibiki (Haruka's friend) > Manaka (tea club) > Maya (teacher) > Kaoru > Miya > moe/clumsy girls.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Egoist, I have no idea who that's supposed to be and did not know there was supposed to be any other episodes past the 24... looks it up in the news... and Miya gets her own arc/episode too? interesting.

I guess I'd have to agree that Rihoko is my least favorite girl/path/ whatever. The most notable reaction I had during ep.19 was how sorry I felt for the other featured girls, they could be living happy fulfilled love enriched lives but instead they're watching from the sidelines, somehow they all seemed a bit lonely and depressed- even the class president whose story hasn't even been told yet. And Rihoki wasn't even able to turn Junichi on by sucking his finger, that just ain't right.

And just how good do feel the chances are that Tsukasa, the Class President, will also turn out to be the girl that stood Junichi up on that Christmas a couple years ago? One unchanging aspect of Junichi is that he never talks about that date to anyone, which would also mean he would never mention it to the girl again either.

As for rating

Haruka>Sae>Kaoru≥Ai>Rihoko
My ratings have more to do with the way the stories were told than the girls. The Haruka story was a Hot Mess of a story- often bad but in wonderfully odd ways, and the freaks fit each other. Sae's story had the narrator, also had some of the better of the odd scenes and Sae had the highest Moe factor- not a detraction for me. Kaoru and Ai's stories were the most orthodox but the girls were about as equally attractive and sensible. Rihoko's story is orthodox and while she has some cuteness she comes off more pitiable than moe, I don't so much want to protect her as find someone else to pass her off to. If you've dated much you've dated that girl/guy- really nice but when it was over you're so relieved you don't have to deal with her problems anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
drdr48

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:45 am Reply with quote
So... sex... is there any in this anime?
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:33 am Reply with quote
drdr48 wrote:
So... sex... is there any in this anime?

Of course. The quality of the sex scenes is so high that hopelessly stupid people can't see it!
drdr48

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote
In which episodes has sex?
RahlEH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:41 am Reply with quote
This last arc has been pretty close to unwatchable. I've been thinking about dropping it, but I think I'll see it to the end since I've already invested 19 episodes worth of time into it. Hopefully the next arc is better...

The Ai and Karou arcs were probably my favorite so far, with the first girl (can't remember her name)'s arc coming up after them. I didn't really care for the Sae arc either.

Ah well, on the brightside at least the animation is pretty good.
drdr48

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:00 am Reply with quote
drdr48 wrote:

??
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:16 am Reply with quote
drdr48 wrote:
drdr48 wrote:

??

All of them. Its a visual orgy.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:37 am Reply with quote
And that's it. Just the OVAs left now, and I bet one of them at least should be awesome because it features a yandere.

As for the arc, it was really enjoyable (part I, II, and III, but not IV), but disappointing because they turned into a normal couple. Oh, yeah, she ruined her hair.

Ai was my favorite girl after all. Yeah... they sort of wasted Tsukasa's potential.

Haruka > Fool around.
Ai > Marry.
Tsukasa > Girlfriend.
Risa > Mistress.
Kaoru > Friend.

I'd be such a faithful husband in a fictional setting.
Gentry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I really wish this show had been better.

Of all the Visual Novels to apply the idea of telling each story separately why did they pick the one with the least to tell. Clannad, Air, Kanon, Canvas 2, Wind, Snow Sakura, Family Project, Yume Miru Kusuri, CRESCENDO!!!!!!!!, Figures of Happiness, The Sagara Family, Hourglass of Summer, Heart de Roommate, Tokimeki Check-in!, KiraKira, Da Capo, Edelweiss, Ever 17... all have decent multiple stories that deserve this treatment yet we get the only VN that has as much plot spread over the entire 24 episode series Emmanuelle in space.
TJR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Gentry wrote:
Of all the Visual Novels to apply the idea of telling each story separately why did they pick the one with the least to tell.

The omnibus idea is a new experiment, so you could say that they never thought about it before or never cared to try. Even now, producers are unsure whether viewers will collect all the DVDs or just buy the arcs corresponding to their favorite characters.

There's also running time to consider. If the original work has six routes and you go with the omnibus style, you have to tell an entire story within 4 episodes (with proper intro, development, climax, and resolution).

With anything complex, you risk cutting a lot and/or severely ruining the pace (i.e. stuffing too many key developments into a single episode, one after another). However, a simple story like Amagami is a good fit.
Gentry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:40 pm Reply with quote
TJR wrote:
Gentry wrote:
Of all the Visual Novels to apply the idea of telling each story separately why did they pick the one with the least to tell.

The omnibus idea is a new experiment, so you could say that they never thought about it before or never cared to try. Even now, producers are unsure whether viewers will collect all the DVDs or just buy the arcs corresponding to their favorite characters.

There's also running time to consider. If the original work has six routes and you go with the omnibus style, you have to tell an entire story within 4 episodes (with proper intro, development, climax, and resolution).

With anything complex, you risk cutting a lot and/or severely ruining the pace (i.e. stuffing too many key developments into a single episode, one after another). However, a simple story like Amagami is a good fit.
Fair point. Some of those VN have lllllllllllong stories. Mind you that dosen't excuse some of the poor, poor plots in Amagami SS. It always hinted at the chance of drama and then decided to drift off into meh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7