• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hetalia's 4th Anime Season Green-Lit for September

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:47 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
Most of the changes don't even make sense to me. It's completely altered the feel of the show, but not for the better. It's on the same level as those joke fandubs you see on youtube...and I just really question why they'd do this with a professional release, especially for something like Hetalia. Did they really think the original script, with its popularity, wasn't 'good enough'?
So, are these changes only in regards to the dub? I really don't care about the dub as I'll probably never see it (though I agree it is somewhat sad if, as you say, dub-watchers will see a radically altered version of the show) but do you feel that at least the subs are true to form?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
championferret

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:39 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
championferret wrote:
Most of the changes don't even make sense to me. It's completely altered the feel of the show, but not for the better. It's on the same level as those joke fandubs you see on youtube...and I just really question why they'd do this with a professional release, especially for something like Hetalia. Did they really think the original script, with its popularity, wasn't 'good enough'?
So, are these changes only in regards to the dub? I really don't care about the dub as I'll probably never see it (though I agree it is somewhat sad if, as you say, dub-watchers will see a radically altered version of the show) but do you feel that at least the subs are true to form?

I'm pretty sure the subs are accurate, seeing as no one reacted about changes until Funi posted the dub episodes. I saw someone do a video review using clips from the Funi dub and the subtitles seemed fine to me.
Basically the series is getting the 'Ghost Stories' treatment (accurate subs, totally different dub).
Saturn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
the subs so far have been really true and accurate, thank goodness. I think the people boycotting are doing so to make a point in regards to the dub changes-- which, as championferret said so eloquently, are
Quote:
an attempt to turn Hetalia into what all its haters originally panned it as back when it first came out, before any of said haters had actually bothered to watch it.
(As well as making the characters OOC, which is also true.)

So basically they're... well, they're kind of bastardizing the actual content in favor of going for easy/edgy laughs, which isn't what Hetalia is supposed to be about. I think they're going to end up attracting a whole different type of fan with the dub than they do with the subs, as well, which is going to create an even bigger rift in the fandom :\ Might as well split into sub-elitists and dub-enthusiasts now and get it over with.
championferret

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:

So basically they're... well, they're kind of bastardizing the actual content in favor of going for easy/edgy laughs, which isn't what Hetalia is supposed to be about.

Exactly. One of my biggest problems with this is exactly how they are going to handle the more serious portions of the show (ie, America's Storage Cleaning, Chibitalia and HRE's parting, Leichtenstein and Switzerland's history). If they 'bastardize' these parts and try to make them funny as well, it will be even more jarring...plus I'll lose all respect for the company.
(Of course it'll be 'jarring' if they try to respect these segments, seeing as it'll be all 'LOL POLITICALLY INCORRECT" and then "SUDDENLY, SERIOUS BUSINESS".... which is just one of the reasons I find the dub changes so annoying to begin with)

Since I can't watch the dub episodes due to region constraints (I've only seen some clips that someone else has managed to reupload, plus had parts transcribed to me by people who could view them); are they up to any of the episodes that are more serious yet? If so, how did they handle this?
Saturn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:06 am Reply with quote
They apparently showed the first 10 eps at the otakon panel, but I wasn't there to see them so I can't comment on the quality personally (just that there's a huge wankfest going on right now because of another extremely racist comment put into Germany's mouth), but that wouldn't have gotten to any of the more serious parts, anyway. I think they'll do fine with those unless, like you said, they try to make them funny (which I don't think they will). Except for the Chibitalia parts. I think Funimation considers those to be fair game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2