• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Eva 2.0, Hetalia Film, Summer Wars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Awesome confirmations!

Now we just need Funi to come through on Tiffany Grant for Asuka and looking forwards to who they pick for Mari Smile

Last edited by DangerMouse on Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Twilightmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I think this is the first time in a long while that I've been excited to hear liscensing news. I'm definitely buying both Eva 2.0 and Summer Wars.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:24 pm Reply with quote
JLightstar wrote:
Sweet and pretty darn fast that they licensed both the Hetalia Film and Third season.

Its not just season 3. According to bayoab's liveblog they've licensed both season 3 and the upcoming season 4 already.
Quote:
18:39:20 <bay> Hetalia World series (Seasons 3 and 4)
18:39:29 <bay> coming in 2011, streaming episodes coming soon, funimation.com/video
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:26 pm Reply with quote
This is great news! I already have the JP BD of Eva 2.22, but as long as Funi releases this on BD as well (and I'd be shocked if they didn't) then I can skip buying the Hong Kong BD release.
Summer Wars looks interesting, and there's been a lot of high praise for it. Hopefully it'll get a BD release too.
To whoever said that Mari Makinami is the new Asuka - YES! She easily has joined the ranks of Asuka and Misato in awesomeness. spoiler[And all it took was unlocking Unit 02's 'the Beast' mode.]

Edit: Regarding the theatrical run of Eva 1.01 in Canada, it honestly depended on the city. Toronto and Calgary, it makes sense that the theatre was packed, since those are large cities. When I went to see it, the theatre was pretty empty - maybe 30 or 40 people, tops. I realize it's unrealistic, and not good for Funi, but a theatrical release of 2.22 in Canada would be awesome.

Last edited by Quark on Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Taco-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY!!! I've been waiting for Summer Wars! So excited! It is one of my favorite anime movies!

Also, Hetalia should be good as well, but I'll wait a while before I invest in that.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Can today get any better? Very Happy So many good things have happened this past week, today in particular. Summer Wars, Eva 2.0, Strike Witches 2, Durarara, and R.O.D. I probably missed something so many things that made me happy happened.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:40 pm Reply with quote
awesomeness!!! :3 I'll be buying all 3 of these movies when they come out

Thank you so much Funimation :3
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:40 pm Reply with quote
2.0? Really? I'll be waiting for 2.22...
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'll be buying all three Very Happy I hope Eva and Summer Wars get theatrical releases, but it's very doubtful and I can't blame them if they don't.

But didn't the Japanese company realllllly want Funimation to put Evangelion 2.0 in theaters, which was why it took so long for a license? Maybe they lessened their unrealistic demands?

The Hetalia movie had a great deal of clips from the episodes, so...I'll still buy, but won't be expecting any great quality.
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
1 - will Tiffany Grant reprise her role as Asuka?

2 - who will play Kaji? did you get Aaron Krohn back?

3 - who will play new character Mari Illustrious Makinami?

4 - did any minor cast members have to be recast, due to someone leaving in the past year, etc? (will Caitlin Glass still be able to play Maya even though Caitlin lives in Europe now?)

Quote:
I hope we can get 2.0 on Blu-Ray by year's end. Or whatever the best version is. 2.22?

Rebuild of Eva 1.0 had a very bizarre, drawn out release schedule; in Japan there were 3 versions; "1.0" (original theatrical version), "1.01 - special DVD edition" (which, in fact, had severe darkness issues and is unwatchable), and "1.11 Blu-ray" (which fixes the darkness problems and surpasses the original theatrical version in image quality)

FUNimation reps have a habit of pronouncing it "Eva one point one one" which only confuses people; I call it "Eva one point eleven" to avoid confusion.

In America, Eva 1.0 only ever ran in theaters and wasn't given a DVD release (nor should it have)...and FUNimation raced off Eva 1.01 "in time for Christmas", even though Eva 1.11 had already been out for *months* in Japan (which I have criticized them for, because then they had trouble explaining that "okay, the real version is Eva 1.11")

Rebuild of Eva 2.0's release is ridiculously simple: even the "Eva 2.0" theatrical version, was NEVER given a DVD release in Japan, and existed only in movie theaters.

Then, realizing the new movie series was a hit after the success of the first movie, *they avoided making a "Eva 2.02" version at all; it doesn't exist.

They skipped right to making "Eva 2.22 Blu Ray"

So the ONLY version that exists for home video, even in Japan, is "Eva 2.22"

So the confusion from last time should be avoided entirely.

Next question: dear god, you guys at FUNimation did finally realize that Taliesin Jaffe is in fact NOT an Evangelion expert, and has no idea what he's talking about? Why turn to him, instead of *the ADR director on the original series who volunteered to give you any information you asked for?*

Last edited by _V_ on Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Definitely will be checking out and picking up the Hetalia film (and future seasons of Hetalia as they are released and dubbed), as well as checking out Summer Wars. SW looks very interesting and with the right dub, I'm sure it'll be just as excellent. ^^
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
BeanBandit wrote:
Really? I always thought the TV series was a better dub honestly.

The TV series dub was awful. Like most ADV dubs, it doesn't hold up at all. Spike Spencer's Shinji was especially heinous, a ridiculous exaggerated caricature of what Shinji is really supposed to be. But for the Rebuild dub he seemed to have toned him down.

I'm worried about Tiffany Grant returning as Asuka, because the woman does not know what subtlety means. Granted, Asuka is a loud-and-proud character, but she's not always over the top the way Grant portrays her, especially not in 2.0. Maybe she'll improve like Spencer did.

But yeah, I would say the Japanese cast definitely gives the characters more humanity than any English cast has.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Expected news, but completely awesome and welcome news! Eva 2.22 and Summer Wars are instant buys on BD (now just have to get that PS3...). Dub casting for both shows will be interesting, given Eva's past and the size of SW's. Slim it may be, it would be really nice if FUNi put karaoke on the chorus songs in Eva, since the lyrics go great with the film and the scenes they accompany. A possible theater run for SW (however small)?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Yes! This is great news. I'm happy to hear Funimation has picked up Eva 2.0 and Summer Wars. I'd love to see Summer Wars get as nice of a release as Girl Who Leapt Through Time did. And let's hope Eva gets a theatrical run here in the U.S. Very Happy
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I'm worried about Tiffany Grant returning as Asuka, because the woman does not know what subtlety means. Granted, Asuka is a loud-and-proud character, but she's not always over the top the way Grant portrays her, especially not in 2.0. Maybe she'll improve like Spencer did.

Really? Cause I thought she had a pretty good voice considering the role. I mean, I see other character types and she could have sounded way worse
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9