• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Eva 2.0, Hetalia Film, Summer Wars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GloriousMaximus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote
YES If Eva and Summer Wars comes to my theatre (and normally it does) I will TOTALLY go see it I've been dying to see both films and was contemplating buying the Manga UK dvds if I didn't hear anything from North American licensors. YAY this totally made my day!
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Both Summer Wars and Eva 2.0 have already been confirmed for theatrical releases. I've been wanting to see what's so good about Summer Wars for a while, so I'll try my hardest to see it when it shows up in theatres. Never watched Eva or any of its movies, but I might as well start now--maybe I'll see what cheap prices I can get on the series, get the 1.0, and go see that in theatres too. :/

Edit: Wait, isn't there a batch of other movies that continue the story from the series?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Just the TV series, End of Evangelion, and now the Rebuild movies need to be watched.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Cool Summer Wars I wanted to watch that one
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Hot [expletive] damn-they licensed Eva 2.0-but I really don't give a shit about the rest of it, though.
Chappers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what crazy price the licence for 2.* was in the end...
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Well it turns out Funi was just holding out on the Eva 2.0 announcement until Otakon after all, huh? Maybe not exactly. I think they had the contract at the time of AX but they just hadn't put ink to paper yet...for "dramatic" effect!

Wow, Funimation just scared the hell out of us all and then turned around and delivered! Take note, Kyoto Animation; THAT'S how you trick the anime fanbase (or at least the Eva fanbase), not with lame recurring-time arcs that take up half of the TV
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Edit: Wait, isn't there a batch of other movies that continue the story from the series?

Aside from the new movies there are 2 others. Death & Rebirth which is basically just a recap of the tv show condensed into movie form. And then theres End of Evangelion which is an alternate ending to the tv series (IIRC it would replace episodes 25 and 26)
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:42 pm Reply with quote
YEEES! I'm definitely looking forward to picking up "Eva" & "Summer Wars" on Blu-Ray. I'll admit that I was slightly disappointed with them, but that was probably mostly because of my extremely high expectations (although I do have issues with "Eva 2.0"). I really hope I get to see them both in theaters (here's hoping the dub casts are good).
Otaku Teahouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
And we can maybe expect the theatrical releases in late winter/ early spring.

Nope, even earlier:

animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2010-07-30/funimation-entertainment-acquires-japanese-academy-award-winner-summer-wars-from-ntv

"FUNimation Entertainment will release the film theatrically in 2010 and on DVD and Blu-ray in 2011."
wizardz199

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Yes, yes, yes! I am so happy to hear that EVA 2.0 coming out! Summer Wars is also a title I am psyched about coming to the states! I loved both films and once these films come out, you bet your bottom dollar I will put down the bucks to purchase them!

As for Hetalia... Eh... I can do without...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
marzipan.dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Wish I could preorder all three already!
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Thank Christ Eva 2.0 is licensed at last. Can't wait for the Blu-Ray release. That film is effing BOSS!

Also really enjoyed Summer Wars, and might give it a buy, but was it just me, or did it feel more than a little similar to that Digimon movie from way back "Our war game"? I know the two movies shared some staff and all, but even with that there was a lot of deja vu going on with the plot and visual stylings.
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:39 pm Reply with quote
*sound of jaw dropping*

Really? ... OMG REALLY?!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

F* YEAH!!!1!11!!1!!one!!1!1!!

Eva 2.22 is sooooooo effing great -- I'm glad FUNimation finally got it Very Happy And Summer Wars is certainly a great movie as well. Can't forget Hetalia either Smile Thank you FUNi, thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gwern

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:11 am Reply with quote
Eh... I just keep wondering how much that theatrical run is going to cost Funi (and by extension, the fans since ultimately the customers pay all the bills), and whether it is really worth it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9