• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Did the Grandis gang in Nadia inspire Pokemon's Team Rocket?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerv1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
For those who have seen Nadia, do you guys think/believe that the trio of Grandis, Samson and Hanson inspired such trios such as Pokemon's Team Rocket? I feel that the character designs of these characters and personalities are almost strikingly similar in some respects, what do you guys think?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
There's definitely a lot of similarities, but the Duo in Pokemon are completely ineffective at everything they do and are pretty much a big laughingstock. The Grandis gang actually saved the main cast quite a few times.
Opera Floozy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:25 am Reply with quote
The Grandis Gang was actually based on someone else (no, not the Dora Gang from Castle in the Sky). However, being based on something else certainly doesn't prevent something from being the inspiration for others, as Star Wars shows.

No, I don't think the Grandis Gang is like Team Rocket. The team dynamics are quite different. In the Grandis Gang, Grandis is obviously in charge, as shown by the fact that it bears her name, and Sanson and Hanson wear the same uniforms while she wears an obviously different one. In Team Rocket, James and Jessie wear the same uniforms, while Meowth is the odd one out, but Jessie is the effective boss of the operation. However, James neither wears the same uniform as Meowth nor is seen doing the same activity as him--he shares these similarities with Jessie. Thus, James appears to be categorized with Jessie.

While the Grandis Gang may have influenced Team Rocket in some way, certainly it's not a close inspirational relationship.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:46 am Reply with quote
Actually, I'd wager that Team Rocket was probably more inspired by the villains of Time Bokan, which was released in the mid-70s, some 10+ years before Nadia.
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote
If anything they resemble Doronjo's gang from the Yatterman series. Except that Team Rocket is a team while Doronjo is clearly the leader with two henchmen.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:51 am Reply with quote
I do remember watching Nadia and half way through realizing that the Grandis gang was a lot like Team Rocket.
Beltane70 wrote:
Actually, I'd wager that Team Rocket was probably more inspired by the villains of Time Bokan, which was released in the mid-70s, some 10+ years before Nadia.
Imperialkat wrote:
If anything they resemble Doronjo's gang from the Yatterman series. Except that Team Rocket is a team while Doronjo is clearly the leader with two henchmen.
Huh. So this is the case where one wasn't copied from the other, but both of the shows were copying from a third older source. Interesting, but not surprising. Nadia was far from original anyway. Wasn't a lot of the Atlantis tech and story from Super Atragon?
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:18 am Reply with quote
The two they pointed out Xenos are one in the same. They share the same in the Tatsunoko universe. Old school cross over mix up is all.

And yeah, in my opinion the Grandis gang in Nadia was the inspiration behind Musashi and Kojiro. It's dead obvious with Musashi.

Great job noticing stuff like this. I though I was the only one.There are a ton of them out there. I was blown away when I saw Keroro in Korori, recently. Great crossover.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1