• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interest Feed =/= News

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:50 am Reply with quote
I know the Interest Feed is still pretty new, but comments like this are already becoming very annoying; there's about 2-3 in every interest feed talkback. What I'm wondering is if there's a way to drive it into peoples heads that the interest feed is different from the news feed? Maybe we can make it a rule like "No Soapboxing" so we can report it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrightxRingxFirefly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:04 am Reply with quote
I agree; it doesn't seem like it's getting through to people even after it's been addressed three or four times in one thread. I second the idea of putting it in the rules.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Oh, they'll be there for a while. The problem with news like this is that it's like troll bait to create a topic about famous people nowadays. Some very funny comments are being generated, so why not. Laughing
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Maybe we can make it a rule like "No Soapboxing" so we can report it?

Here's a possible better solution: ANN allows amnesty to posters who really want to return to them a piece of their mind.

Within reason, of course. Nothing like a dose of condescending sarcasm to lift the spirits so much, some of it gets honored in the "Perfect Quotes" thread.

Right, Zac? Wink
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:21 am Reply with quote
Why not just have some way to differentiate various topics in the Talkback Forum? At the moment we have a white circle with a blue border, and inside it a white or orange piece of paper. Well, why not include a change of design as part of the "change our icons" contest, with interest feeds and news and convention reports each getting their own design? And then there is no way for people to argue that they didn't know about how the interest feed is different to the news.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:48 am Reply with quote
Yeah, once the icon contest is over we'll have to start color-coding the website with the winning iconset so that there can never be any doubt about what kind of article you're reading.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Another option might be two separate forums: a "Talkback: News Feed" and a "Talkback: Interest Feed." It seems natural that anyone who only wants to read the news feed would probably only want to read forum posts about news items.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand why there's any controversy. The icons very clearly distinguish between 'interest items' and 'news items'. If you're not interested in the 'interest items', don't read them. It's really not complicated.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:35 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Another option might be two separate forums: a "Talkback: News Feed" and a "Talkback: Interest Feed." It seems natural that anyone who only wants to read the news feed would probably only want to read forum posts about news items.

Piggy backing off of this: Why not just have Interest threads read "Interest: Article Title"? Every other piece has it's tag in the title thread like "News: Article Title", "Review: DVD Title", "Shelf Life - Title", "Anime News Nina - Date" and so on and so on. It makes a ton of sense to have Interest labeled in the threads so that you can see it on both the front page and in the forums.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1