• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Paint It Black Jack

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It may look pretty now, but you'll think nothing of it later.

Isn't this how much of anime and manga lately have been?
perroloco

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
"Say Hello to Black Jack" it said at the first paragraph of the preview of this review...
Am I the only one who thaught that somehow someway "Say Hello To Black Jack" by Suho Sato was gonna be reviewed?? Damn I thought that somehow I had missed the news that some publisher had picked this lost gem from the hands of the only-in-japan hell...
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:50 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit disappointed this week that "Peepo Choo" is in the "World manga" section when it is clearly not.

Definition of Manga (courtesy of Dictionary.com):
"A Japanese graphic novel, typically intended for adults, characterized by highly stylized art."

Definition of Manga (courtesy of merriam-webster):
"A Japanese comic book or graphic novel"

Of perhaps I should even do this:

ANN definition of "Manga" (see here:Manga)
"But in Europe and America the word manga is used to refer specifically to Japanese comics."

ANN definition of "World Manga" (see here: World Manga )
"World Manga - A term used to designate manga-style comics originating from countries other than Japan."

They all say:
1) Originally in Japanese
2) From Japan
3) In traditional Japanese style

But none actually say: "Needs to be a Japanese person creating it".

Smith move to Japan, made the comic over there in Japan, talked to Japanese companies and Japanese editors, published in a Japanese magazine, original language was Japanese and he even speaks the language.

I'm sorry but Peepo Choo is manga. Not World Manga. Even by ANN standards.

Just want to clear that up because it seems unfair that he moves to the country, conforms to it and then still gets the label of "World Manga". Not that it is a BAD thing just it isn't fair to Smith. What does he have to do? Get surgery? Even ANN lists Peepo Choo as manga ... so ...

Quote:
Is this the greatest attempt at manga yet by a non-Japanese artist?

You can't attempt manga. It is either is or is not. In his case, it is.

Anyway, I have been thinking about ordering Peepo Choo ... but I'm not sure if I should read MBQ first. Checking out Black Jack 12 as we speak ...
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:54 am Reply with quote
^
I have to agree. Peepo Choo would be considered manga...It was intended for a Japanese audience and published in Japan first, and was only later licensed by an American company. Seems unfair to label it as anything other than what it is. It's not like he was living in Japan and it was only being published in an English-speaking country. If foreigners or expats have comics published originally in the US, the comics are still considered American comics. It should work the same for other countries.

That said, I'll be picking up Peepo Choo with my next order. Seems rather interesting.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:19 am Reply with quote
Wait, so SnQ was actually licensed? Tokyopop has hit a new low...
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:25 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Moonsaber wrote:
A question to throw out... I don't recall seeing any reviews in the column about any Alita (Gunnm) Last Order releases, have they?

I'm not sure whether there have been any in Right Way Only, but volumes have received individual reviews several times. You should be able to find links if you got to the encyclopedia entry for the manga. Smile

Ah right, Duh.

Hmmm, not a lot of reviews, not for a long time. Wonder why?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
There's no one in Quaser with dominion over ununoctium...but there is one joke character whose element is meitnerium.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm upset by the characterization of Peepo Choo, too. If Peepo Choo is some sort of (originally written in Japanese) OEL, than Hetalia, which was originally written in Japanese while the author lived in New York, is OEL, too. Or "World Manga". Or just another darned webcomic (reguardless of language or creator's country of origin). Where will it show up in the column?

Anyway, the reviews: Hooray for Black Jack! I don't get the American flag color scheme on vol. 12, but every volume Vertical puts out is shelf-worthy all the way! And kudos to Vertcal for putting out something from the 1970's and proving how very relevant it still is!

What is wrong with Del Rey?! They're starting anothermediocre teens-with-powers manga when I'm still waiting for them to finish/catch up with the two mediocre kids-with-power that they're in the middle of (Psychbusters and Alive: The Final Evolution, which is actually above average). I'd give them the benefit of the doubt that it's too financially difficult to release new volumes if they didn't turn around and release new titles in the same genre! Not to mention all the other DelRey stuff I like that's coming out at a snails pace, if at all: Moyasimon, My Heavenly Hockey Club. DelRey, please, don't make me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry! Wink uggh!
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I love Planet Ladder. I hated how long we had to wait for that last volume-almost as bad as how much I love Dragon Knights but we took about 8 yrs to hit the last volume. I think it was titles like this that helped kill the license the hot new title because if it was on-going, the American release invariably caught up & was relegated to ultra-slow release. This also makes for the whole fansub problem because fansubs don't need to be collected & printed as volumes do.

It's really worth it. It's been to long. I can't remember the prince's name, but I loved the joke manga where she drew a day in his life & it was just a bunch of panels of him laying there not moving until the last panel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2