• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Japan Expo 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:33 am Reply with quote
Since I refuse to ever to go France again, I guess I'll never attend this, but it does look like it would be interesting. I'd like for companies like that to have a presence at an American con. Not sure if I could put up with that many people though, Anime Expo is big enough for my tastes, and I think cons like Anime Boston with their 15,000-20,000 attendees are perfect.
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:40 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
The whole purpose of going to Japan Expo was to decide if we should cover it in full in the future.

You'll have to wait 11 months to learn the answer :-p

-t

Thanks for posting all those pictures. I also appreciate the captions at the bottom of the photos. Looks like all of the Con attendees were having a good time. News about the health of anime in the rest of the world is interesting. I also like the other end of the spectrum with news about Euro anime fandom. So all in all, I would def be interested in future coverage. That way I don't have to go myself and enter panic mode when surrounded by 100,000 people. *shudder*

Does ANN have "connections" in Europe? From prev articles and the podcast it sounds like ANN has a lot in the States and Japan. I ask because I don't know if expanded coverage would be more difficult because of lack of connections or does a Press Pass negate that?

Again, thanks for the coverage.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:03 pm Reply with quote
KrebMarkt wrote:
Great that you covered the Japan Expo 2010.

The evolution is this year the Japanese companies came in force: Shueisha, Kadokawa , Hobby Japan, Tezuka Productions, Cospa, Good Smile Company...

A small correction, Ki-oon just has the manga rights over Pandora Hearts. The anime right seems to go to Kana home video.

For Shueisha-Shogakukan holding aka Viz Media Europe, acquiring Kazé was the most logic choice for two reasons. First Kazé is centered on a media-mix development axis with a manga publishing side (Asuka), an anime publishing side (Kazé) and a music record label (Wasabi Records). Second French Manga market and by extension whole Comics market is a cut-throat so better for them starting with an experienced team rather from scratch.

Covering the Japan Expo can be worth it especially if you cover anime/manga publishers from the #3 anime/manga market worldwide. Going there just for some photos and guest interviews isn't worth.

The point to going to Japan Expo beyond the event is to get opinions & insights from the participants about the "craft" and the "business".

I find this interesting though:
Quote:
In fact, there are no industry panels. According to Thomas Sirdney, Japan Expo tried panels in the past, but French fans are less interested in this sort of programming, and even those who attend the panels do not participate with questions and feedback the way North American fans do.

so I guess ANN would have to do some digging behind the scenes with company reps there? But judging from the pics before reading that, I already got the impression it was more fan-oriented.

Also, I knew the French market was big, but didn't know it was that big! (#3) It, and perhaps the rest of EU's and Asia's markets, also seems quite.... different than the US's. Maybe it's just me, but I don't ever see most of anime becoming as marketable mainstream or as accepted by populace here as it is there. For example, having something as successful as those AnimeLand magazines
animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/convention/35132/img_0750.jpg
or a weekly TV show like Ultra Manga
animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/convention/35132/img_0658.jpg
Kosaka

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
KrebMarkt wrote:
Kosaka wrote:
Thanks for posting so many photos and captions. Re the caption:

Noémie Alazard - The presenter of Ultra Manga gives autographs to fans. Ultra Manga airs weekly on MCM, a cable-TV station that focuses on manga (and anime), music, video games and "Glisse".

I'm curious, what does "Glisse" mean in the caption?

Surf/Slide/Glide pick one.

manga (and anime), music, video games and surf
    manga (and anime), music, video games and slide
    manga (and anime), music, video games and glide
    manga (and anime), music, video games and surfing
    manga (and anime), music, video games and slides
    manga (and anime), music, video games and gliding

Could be web surfing or web sites.

A translation of anime glisse gave me animated slides, so could be slides, perhaps in a carousel, shown quickly one right after another to produce rough animation.

I don't mean to belabor the point, but I'm still unclear about what "Glisse" means in the caption.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Also, I knew the French market was big, but didn't know it was that big! (#3) It, and perhaps the rest of EU's and Asia's markets, also seems quite.... different than the US's. Maybe it's just me, but I don't ever see most of anime becoming as marketable mainstream or as accepted by populace here as it is there.

One difference in the French media markets is that people are used to a lot of their content being dubbed or subbed, while most Americans are used to getting 95%+ of their content originally produced in English, and mostly American English at that.
KrebMarkt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:34 pm Reply with quote
@configspace
I confess that i may be going overboard tagging the French as the #2 in importance but still. In 2009 the French manga market was the #2 worldwide in volume sells and there were 1341 manga releases and re-releases. Yea, an insane rate of +25 manga hitting the shelves each week.

For anime i don't have recent number, you can give a look to an out-dated JETRO (Japan External Trade Organization) report on 2008 numbers http://www.jetro.go.jp/jfile/report/07000025/005001665.pdf (in Japanese)

Unless i mistaken Animeland run is around 50K per issue.

TV channel with a lot of Manga/Anime: Manga TV, Kazé TV, Nolife. All available through IPTV. Kazé TV has Kara no Kyoukai first & second movies broadcasted this summer.

@Bored_Ming
ANN is well know in France among people really interested in the anime/manga stuffs. Not unknown to have French anima/manga webcites mentioning ANN as source. Getting a press pass won't be a problem.

@Sailor S
It's a matter of getting critical mass to get the Japaneses joining the party Sad
I don't like the crazy attendance of the Japan Expo yet i know that some participants come just because the event is becoming too big to not be there.

@fuuma_monou
This year cosplay winner is probably "Vampire Knight"

@tempest
We don't know each others Wink Going there isn't cheap so having better reasons than just "tourism" to go there is required. As i think the expense to cover Japan Expo would be enough to cover 2-3 conventions in North America.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that is an intense con. The set up really reminds me more of images I've seen of ComicCon than the comparatively MUCH smaller cons I have attended.

I've always wished that American conventions would incorporate more cultural aspects like the food and festivals games. However, I greatly envy our panel rooms! It's interesting to learn about conventions outside of America and Japan though! Occasionally I get to see some cosplay from around the world, but this was truly a treat.
GloriousMaximus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Very cool to see a con from overseas. It looks like it was a big con at that!
Also.... did those two guys cosplay as Hard Gay?
If so.... awesome.
Mytopia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Very true; anime in Europe has long been popular and on TV for ages, even moreso than in the US. WMT shows, in particular, and stuff like Captain Tsubasa have been popular in Europe and Asia for decades. Tsubasa is so iconic and influential that it even inspired FIFA World Cup winners and legends Alessandro del Piero and Francesco Totti to take up their choice of careers.
configspace wrote:
KrebMarkt wrote:
Great that you covered the Japan Expo 2010.

The evolution is this year the Japanese companies came in force: Shueisha, Kadokawa , Hobby Japan, Tezuka Productions, Cospa, Good Smile Company...

A small correction, Ki-oon just has the manga rights over Pandora Hearts. The anime right seems to go to Kana home video.

For Shueisha-Shogakukan holding aka Viz Media Europe, acquiring Kazé was the most logic choice for two reasons. First Kazé is centered on a media-mix development axis with a manga publishing side (Asuka), an anime publishing side (Kazé) and a music record label (Wasabi Records). Second French Manga market and by extension whole Comics market is a cut-throat so better for them starting with an experienced team rather from scratch.

Covering the Japan Expo can be worth it especially if you cover anime/manga publishers from the #3 anime/manga market worldwide. Going there just for some photos and guest interviews isn't worth.

The point to going to Japan Expo beyond the event is to get opinions & insights from the participants about the "craft" and the "business".

I find this interesting though:
Quote:
In fact, there are no industry panels. According to Thomas Sirdney, Japan Expo tried panels in the past, but French fans are less interested in this sort of programming, and even those who attend the panels do not participate with questions and feedback the way North American fans do.

so I guess ANN would have to do some digging behind the scenes with company reps there? But judging from the pics before reading that, I already got the impression it was more fan-oriented.

Also, I knew the French market was big, but didn't know it was that big! (#3) It, and perhaps the rest of EU's and Asia's markets, also seems quite.... different than the US's. Maybe it's just me, but I don't ever see most of anime becoming as marketable mainstream or as accepted by populace here as it is there. For example, having something as successful as those AnimeLand magazines
animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/convention/35132/img_0750.jpg
or a weekly TV show like Ultra Manga
animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/convention/35132/img_0658.jpg
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Kosaka wrote:
I don't mean to belabor the point, but I'm still unclear about what "Glisse" means in the caption.

Sorry, I should have translated that, but there isn't an accurate single-word English translation

Glisse is skateboarding, roller blading, surfing, windsurfing, skating, wakeboarding, bodyboarding, snowboard cross (and all snowboarding), skiing, Kitewing etc...

All sorts of modern "X" sports that involve "sliding." The more on the alternative/X side, the more it has to do with glisse. So while ice-skating belongs on the list, people don't typically think of skating when you say "sports de glisse." Downhill ice-skating on the other hand...

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote
KrebMarkt wrote:

@tempest
We don't know each others Wink Going there isn't cheap so having better reasons than just "tourism" to go there is required. As i think the expense to cover Japan Expo would be enough to cover 2-3 conventions in North America.

Ahh, I see your point.

But no, the cost of covering Japan Expo next year, should we do it, will be lower than what we spend at Anime Expo.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
GloriousMaximus wrote:

Also.... did those two guys cosplay as Hard Gay?

I thought it was obvious (yes they did), otherwise I would have included a caption, sorry. I'll go add one.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I seem to remember somebody only a few years ago mentioning that Japan Expo attracted crowds of 120000. It would be amazing if it has grown by 50% in such a short time!

In any case, cool to get a snapshot of the French scene.

agila61 wrote:
...and mostly American English at that.

Yes. I'm certain this makes a Vast difference. Razz
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:18 pm Reply with quote
KrebMarkt wrote:
Unless i mistaken Animeland run is around 50K per issue.

Spot on correct.

Bored_Ming wrote:
Does ANN have "connections" in Europe?
Yup, we do.
Kosaka

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Kosaka wrote:

Sorry, I should have translated that, but there isn't an accurate single-word English translation

Glisse is skateboarding, roller blading, surfing, windsurfing, skating, wakeboarding, bodyboarding, snowboard cross (and all snowboarding), skiing, Kitewing etc...

All sorts of modern "X" sports that involve "sliding." The more on the alternative/X side, the more it has to do with glisse. So while ice-skating belongs on the list, people don't typically think of skating when you say "sports de glisse." Downhill ice-skating on the other hand...

-t

Thanks, tempest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3