• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Japan Expo 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KrebMarkt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:42 am Reply with quote
The Japan Expo can be split in 3 events
First the fans event signing, cosplay, doujin area, lot of activities from zen meditation to kendo initiation.
Second the crazy consumerist event with its lot of counterfeit products.
Third de-facto the backstage event, everyone who matter in the French anime/manga industry are presents.

For someone outside France, the best place & event to get the pulse and pick the brain of the French industry is clearly the Japan Expo. This is a good place to initiate contacts or do some muscles flexing.

For those interested for more images:
http://www.manga-news.com/index.php/report/Japan-Expo-2010-Premiere-Partie
http://www.manga-news.com/index.php/report/Japan-Expo-2010-Deuxieme-Partie

Vids on some fans who started the queue at 6 a.m. the opening hour being 10 a.m.
http://www.manga-sanctuary.com/news/9549/reportage-japan-expo.html
Ashurachan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:47 am Reply with quote
I would like to correct a couple of mistakes I read in the captions :
* first, 180,000 is not the number of unique attendees, it's the number of 1-day attendees. The number of unique attendees is probably roughly half of this (there are no official numbers, because it's very hard to count : people who come for 2 days buy two one-day tickets, because there's no specific discount for two days). Which is still impressive, but actually a bit smaller than Comic Con.
* There are stages separate from the main hall. There's actually another hall behind, with two stages in it, one of them for concerts and the other for various events like honor guests panels, cosplay contests, fashion shows... The concert hall could hold roughly 8,000 people, the other one about the double. The small cosplay stage you photographed is for cosplayers who don't want to compete (or did not apply in time, the contests are full *very* quickly).

If some people have questions about Japan Expo, feel free to ask. Or other French cons, for that matter ; I've been attending them for something like 13 years, so I'm pretty knowledgeable in the area, I think Wink
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Ashurachan wrote:
* first, 180,000 is not the number of unique attendees, it's the number of 1-day attendees.

I'll double check this with Thomas. It is not the way I understood the situation, but if the article is wrong, I will correct it.

Quote:

* There are stages separate from the main hall. There's actually another hall behind, with two stages in it, one of them for concerts and the other for various events like honor guests panels, cosplay contests, fashion shows...

You're talking about Hall 6, or something in addition to hall 5 & 6 ?
Ashurachan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:46 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
You're talking about Hall 6, or something in addition to hall 5 & 6 ?

Hall 5B, actually, the plans only showed 5A ; at the back of 5A you had the cosplay stage in the center (the one on the picture), in the right corner there was the access to the main stage, and in the left corner access to the concert stage ("JE Live House").

Last edited by Ashurachan on Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:53 am Reply with quote
Thank you for covering an event outside N-America and Japan. We're sometimes left to wonder if there actually exist anime fans in other parts of the world, so it's very nice to see this report and photo gallery Smile

Do you know if there are more events like this in Europe? I bet at least Germany and the UK have something.
Ashurachan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:50 am Reply with quote
Anime conventions in the UK are few and quite recent (I know of London Expo and MCM Expo). Unlike in most other European countries, there were no anime on UK television... so anime fandom is small and mostly developed thanks to the American translations. It's growing, though ^^

In Germany, France, Spain, Italy... there have been anime on TV for a long time, and two generations grew up watching them. So there are a lot of anime fans, and several large events in each country. For example in Germany, there's Animagic and Connichi, and probably several others I haven't heard of.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Ashurachan wrote:
Anime conventions in the UK are few and quite recent (I know of London Expo and MCM Expo)

Same thing. There are other cons like Amecon.
Quote:
Unlike in most other European countries, there were no anime on UK television...

Maybe not nowadays, but I watched Battle of the Planets, Ulysses 31, Mysterious Cities of Gold and Laputa on TV as a kid, and while I wasn't allowed to watch it there was Akira, there's also been anime on Sci-Fi and a couple of dedicated channels on Satellite.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Remember that Film4 occasionally plays the handful of Ghibli films they have in their repertoire. Optimum are always healthily represented on store shelves as a possible result.

Still, the continent fares far better than us regarding television. Things may change in our favour, though I am in want of any news regarding planned small-screen ventures.

At least I have my cherished scapegoats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3