• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Touchy Subjects

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Licensed yuri/Shoujo-ai anime:
Blue Drop, Kashimashi (gender switch), MariMite, Strawberry Panic , Kannazuki no Miko, Simoun, Puni Puni Poemy, Utena

Wow! There's just so many titles! And if you want to talk manga the list becomes pathetically smaller.

Actually, it becomes rather larger, depending on your definition of yuri: I don't even read yuri and just at random I have tripped across Sweat & Honey, 12 Days, Blue, Hayate X Blade, Makka Makka...

And Brian is most probably wrong; the yaoi audience, as far as I can tell, skews rather older than the mainstream manga audience. As a matter of fact, publishers and retailers have cited this as a reason yaoi has been as successful as it has; it attracts older readers who have disposable income and will spend it on books.
The_Q

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:52 pm Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
purplepolecat wrote:

I think it's partly this, and partly the fact that in the Western world, all adult males are viewed as potential pedos. If you see a little girl fall down and skin her knee, you DON'T go and help her up.

the hell?

yes, yes. if a child hurts his or herself, make sure not to help the poor kid off the ground or anything, BECAUSE AMERICA'S BACKWARDS MORALS WOULD SEE YOU AS A SICK YUCKY PEDO.

sometimes the self-victimization of the loli defenders reaches astoundingly weird new heights.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-06-15/news/os-mike-thomas-juvenile-arrest-06151020100615_1_edwin-girl-s-mother-store

This isn't the only case. A man is Iowa saw a young girl being careless around a busy street. So he stopped his car, took her by the arm, and lectured her about her carelessness.

Iowa said that was a crime, but not a regular crime, a sex crime (forceful restraint of a minor), and now he's on the offender list for the next decade. He should have just let her go, granted, she probably would have been hit by a car (it happened to a girl in Canada, but it was a Greyhound), but at least he would not have gotten in trouble.

Oh yeah! In the UK, a British man saw that a small girl (3,IIRC) was without a parent (wandered from a daycare,IIRC again). The man did nothing, because he felt that anything he would do would be considered abuse (don't blame him for thinking that), so he went about his business. So, what happened to the lost girl? She fell into a pond, and drowned.

Finally, in Russian, a little girl fell from a 3 story window, and not a damn soul called for help until the parents noticed and finally did.

purplepolecat wasn't exaggerating with his post, and perhaps you should do a bit of research before making such a sarcastic comment. Because the recent child abduction hysteria that has spread across the world has "taught" (or indoctrinated), that adult males are all on the "potential pedo" list, even though actual social science proves otherwise, but when have we let science get in the way of moral hysteria!

PS: a duckduckgo search can net you the 2nd story. As for the 3rd story, bbc should still have it in its archives, Wendy McElroy also wrote a piece on it (she talked a lot about the hysteria). Finally, Russia Times has the info on the final story, in case anyone here doesn't believe me. Arrow
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote
@ agila61

I like that way of going on about it. Since social networking sites are rising, there is a chance for streaming to spread more that way. I'm still cautious about it after reading some of the other issues I wasn't aware of, but its better than nothing.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
About the con thing, I'm sorry, but I think the whole thing about the raves is true. If they just took the raves away, there would probably be less trouble. I'm sorry, but like someone already said, the raves just attract all the "troublemakers" who go doing annoying, stupid or destructive things. Am I saying they should take away the raves? Well, yes, but I think they should replace it with something even better. It may cost money, but I totally think they should hire bands instead. Rock bands! Then everyone's too busy watching the band and screaming they're heads off, cheering the band and rocking out, than getting in the way and causing trouble. It would be like having a mini-concert. Just a thought. Cool Someone's probably gonna hunt me down now for saying all that. Rolling Eyes
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
purplepolecat wrote:

I think it's partly this, and partly the fact that in the Western world, all adult males are viewed as potential pedos. If you see a little girl fall down and skin her knee, you DON'T go and help her up.

the hell?

yes, yes. if a child hurts his or herself, make sure not to help the poor kid off the ground or anything, BECAUSE AMERICA'S BACKWARDS MORALS WOULD SEE YOU AS A SICK YUCKY PEDO.

sometimes the self-victimization of the loli defenders reaches astoundingly weird new heights.

This is a documented social phenomenon and has been mentioned in a number of news articles, books, and studies. For example:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,190586,00.html

Quote:
On Nov. 28, 2002, 2-year-old Abigail Rae died by drowning in a village pond in England. Her death is currently stirring debate because the ongoing inquest revealed an explosive fact. A man passing by was afraid to guide the lost child to safety because he feared being labeled "a pervert."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08012/848765-51.stm

Quote:
In a society where pedophiles are outed and shamed as part of prime-time entertainment, it has come to this: Tony Taylor, a Pittsburgh father, says he wouldn't come to the aid of a crying child lost in the mall.

"For a guy to think he can walk up and say, 'Can I help you, kid?' he obviously does not watch the news," said Mr. Taylor, a retired military officer who lives in Turtle Creek. "Being a human being, I would call the shopkeeper. But I wouldn't approach the kid myself."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1299818/Half-men-steer-clear-children-trouble-fear-branded-paedophiles.html

Quote:
Nearly half of men would be too scared to help a child in need because they fear being branded a paedophile, a survey has found.

Forty-four per cent would be wary of coming to the aid of youngsters in their neighbourhood in case they were suspected of attempting to abduct them.

Of course, anti-loli activists (and ANN editorialists) reserve the right to ignore all facts and logic with the declaration of "hurrr yuor just defendin pedofiles!!1!"
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:51 pm Reply with quote
@ youkai warrior As someone who is into music, I love the idea of rock bands, they should at least give it a try. Who knows, it could prove to be better than the raves.

I never much cared for raves anyway, and I can't stand techno music. Bring on rock!
Imperial_Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
fmagrave wrote:
Gunslinger Girls had a sexual subtext?

Yeah, don't you know? Everyone's pedo for Triela.

EDIT: And I hope people caught on, but obviously this was meant to be sarcastic.

Last edited by Imperial_Commander on Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
I'm asking for a series that depicts relationships with taste and realism, and I'm under the impression the others would like that as well.

From Erica's reviews of Japanese language yuri serials, there are some serials that have a mix of different takes on Story A and some actual stories that start or pass through the Story A climax.

But I'm still thinking that getting that on a regular basis will require digital distribution and crowdsourced translation, as in what OpenManga might be able to offer. Just as with Crunchy we were able to get Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
I'm asking for a series that depicts relationships with taste and realism, and I'm under the impression the others would like that as well. The titles I'm looking for do not necessarily have to be sexual, either. When I look at what is available in Japan, there're not many series that truthfully show a romance. Then we get almost none of that over here. The few titles that do seem to go by relatively unnoticed; I never actually here an announcement for them, though who knows when the last was actually brought over.

And you think there aren't thoughtful yaoi titles people are dying to get? You think I wouldn't LOVE to get some of Oki's stuff licensed since I love her art? We finally got some Tenzen in the last year & her stuff is great.
You think homosexuals are happy with the yaoi that's been licensed? We all know BL is hardly representative of actual homosexual life & this has indeed been discussed on this forum in the past. The reality it back when it was no longer called shonen ai but not yet all called BL, it was pretty accepted that yaoi was fantasy about boys in love written by females for females & at that same time it was pretty much accepted the opposite was yuri written by men for men in the same fantasy realm & that it was smaller because there was less interest in actual female romance as there was interest in the usual guy view of lesbians.

You're looking for the stuff like they were talking at the panel on the best & worst manga at CCI last month-the small-publisher quality stuff that is few & far between.

RestlessOne wrote:

I'm not a guy, though. I'm a straight female interested in a deep romance between two people who must face society's hurdles. We were discussing the licensing of series that don't pander and throw in random sex scenes, but truly observe a romance between two females. We weren't complaining that so much BL is brought over--we understand why it is--but we don't like how few GL titles there are.

Wow. That's sort of what a lot of us are looking for in yaoi only between 2 guys. The fantasy that even though it is a "forbidden" love, that the one fears the other will leave him to "do the right thing" & marry a female to provide his family an heir. I think you might enjoy Est Em. Deux got out 3 of her titles before folding. They aren't explicit, but I & the gal I share manga with both had the same weird reaction to the stories. They're good, but disquieting. There's one title-I believe Melting Love-my daughter & her friend HATED, but I loved the way the author captured the uncertainty of adult relationships-the partner was the type to be gone in the morning without a trace which is what the perspective partner feared constantly would happen

If you aren't complaining about how mich yaoi is brought over why is the original question a comparison of the fact there are yaoi publishers vs only 7 Seas that in the questioner's view is the only party bringing over yuri. What does the amount of yaoi have to do with the amount of yuri? When I went to TRSI to load my cart with what I needed off the last Viz sale, I was more concerned over whether they had the next volume of Gintama or if they had the next Bastard-no? Damn, did they drop it? I did not curse Viz for not licensing more titles like Descendants of Darkness. When I go into a bookstore, I look for titles I'm interested in. I do not look over the shelves & curse that no one has licensed Meine Liebe.

RestlessOne wrote:
I'm Also...These types of stories don't hold appeal to just males. They're the type that can attract a wide variety of people if they look past their initial reaction of "Oh, two girls, must be for guys".

I don't care what you are reading. Honest. I LOVE Akahori-or at least the older stuff like Sorcerer Hunters & Abenoboshi. It was funny stuff. Haven't tried his yuri one-keep thinking about it, but afraid it's not Saber Marionette funny jiggle.

Megiddo-there's not that much yaoi domestically licensed-maybe 1000 volumes. The only reason I can push past one bookcase is because I am willing to include stuff like GetBackers with a male couple & I arrange by author, not title as many do so Saiyuki may not be yaoi, but she did Wild Adaptor so all her stuff goes there. Princess Princess is crossdressing but it's in that bookcase

Don't you think I hate the blackmail position TP put us all in a couple yrs back when they cancelled so many damned titles (GOD-one Lilling Po left to go!) & the comment to the effect they couldn't guarantee continued publication of anything so if one wants it one has to buy it from day one-not wait to see if they print the entire thing. TRSI put BTx 16 up the other day & I ordered it today, praying it'll actually come out finally. (Oh. It's shonen, not yaoi.) I so hope we'll see more Saiyuki & Wild Adaptor & I hope for the final volumes of everything I was in the middle of. Hell, I'll take the titles that were within 3 volumes of finishing. Loveless...

Were I to separate yuri by topic as I do yaoi, I would have to move from the general group Steel Angel Kurumi (Saki loves Kurumi) & also the author's Key Princess. CCS-Tomoyo is in love with Sakura. I would have to place a lot of Clamp as at least borderline yaoi & yuri so ultimately it's just Clamp, but I would put Miyuki-chan in the yuri laden camp. Azumanga has a girl crush. Doki Doki School Hours a student is obsessed with the teacher. Sailor Moon. Bleach. (remember-one couple's all it takes). Depending on how Your & My Secret ends it might be yaoi & yuri but I'm thinking it's going to settle for straight (male Akira is body-swapped with tomboy Momoi who wastes no time moving in on her girlfriend while Akira falls in love with his best bud. Angel Sanctuary qualifies as having yuri undertones in my book
I know there's more...

The flaw to all this Twilight conspiracy theory is Ring Finger from DMP came out August 2004 & Twilight came out in hardcover in October 2005. Fake was apparently released in may 2003 & Gravitation in August 2003. I'll gamble the American yaoi market had a bit more to do with those 2 titles.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2004-05-13/cpm-launches-yaoi-label
This announcement launching Be Beautiful is obviously May 2004.

And let us not forget the anime where male characters were changed to female to hide they were gay. Tekkaman Blade. Kimera. Sailor Moon. Maze-they couldn't decide if Ran Chiki was a guy or a girl in the dub.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:55 pm Reply with quote
"that's the nature of nerd-dom, I guess, to find immense fault in the things we love the most"

Great line. I've heard it phrased differently before, but that doesn't make it any less (unfortunately) true.
darcerin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote
I'm going to put my two cents in here about why I don't attend cons anymore: Fanboy Funk.

I got sick to death every time I'd be in a panel, be in line, be in the dealer's room, whatever, I'd smell it. And it wasn't just 'that day's sweat" it was "people haven't bathed in at LEAST a week before the con" smell.

I figured since I don't read or speak Japanese, I wasn't interested in any manga or Japanese-only DVDs, limiting me to US releases. So why not save my money, stay home, read about the con from the ANN news page, and buy whatever I want in stores or online? Thus saving me also from fanboy funk, and dealing with obnoxious people who think bathing is some sort of crime.

There are other elements of cons I'm glad to be rid of, but that was my top pet peeve. *gag*
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
derp

here's how i see it;

if you're too afraid to save a poor kid from drowning because you're afraid of being labeled "a pervert," then you have a problem. it's not "society's" fault. it's YOUR fault.

what does this have to do with anime? man i dunno, i didn't bring it up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:
derp

here's how i see it;

if you're too afraid to save a poor kid from drowning because you're afraid of being labeled "a pervert," then you have a problem. it's not "society's" fault. it's YOUR fault.

Agreed, however all of the previous examples and comments were talking about less serious incidents, like a lost or crying child. The incident about the child drowning said that the man saw the child wandering, only later did the child fall in and drown.
Another article also mentioned a disparity in how many kids were allowed to play outside unsupervised compared to previous generations for fear of their child being abducted.
Quote:

Nor do I, but that doesn't mean it isn't an interesting social phenomena to discuss.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:47 am Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:

Personally, I could live with the accusation much better than I could live with the knowledge I let a child come to harm through my inaction. And the threshold would be far less than a fatality.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:36 am Reply with quote
The_Q and einhorn303
Yep, I can completely understand that phenomenon. Heck, analogously, I've been told by some relatives not to help strangers for fear of being sued! Which btw, did happen to one!

einhorn303 wrote:
Of course, anti-loli activists (and ANN editorialists) reserve the right to ignore all facts and logic with the declaration of "hurrr yuor just defendin pedofiles!!1!"

That's just what goes for 'reasoned and intelligent' discussion unfortunately.

LordByronius wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:
derp

here's how i see it;

Tell that to the Iowan mentioned above who now has his life is completely ruined. So it's his fault that he's now a registered sex offender simply getting the girl out from playing in the streets? And it would have been his fault too had he done nothing and let the girl get hit by a car. Nope, the guardians or parents have no responsibility once their kids are out of sight. It's bystanders duties to take care of strangers around them, but it's also their fault if they are mistakenly labeled or even unjustly charged with a sex crime. Yeah that makes sense.

Quote:

Because "the fandom" here always loves to equate virtual shit with real life shit which is always how we end up with discussions like this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9