• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: K-On! Manga's Last Installment Listed for September

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorsean

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:40 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
(Same goes for "Akikan!," whose premise was so psychotically dumb that the creator of the show should've been locked away in a mental institution for even conjuring it.)

Well Akikan!, is what I considered a parody on anime as a whole. I laughed so hard because that's what it is. It's defiantly NOT meant to be taken seriously and even the show knew that, and the otaku's in Japan think it's a laugh-worthy parody.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
At last "K-On!" is dying a slow and painful death. The anime was one of the worst series I've ever watched. If I wanted to watch a show about a music club that only sits around eating sweets...on second thought there's no good show out there with a premise like that!

I'm going back to watching "BECK," a show about a newly-formed band that got it right!

I agree with you entirely. I wouldn't say it's garbage, but is even worth watching in this show? Moe girls pretending they are musicians and singing otaku based music?

If I wanted that, I'd watch Lucky Star. At least that show is just about cakes and moe.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Moe girls pretending they are musicians and singing otaku based music?

People who had their beloved ones killed and now pilot giant robots that defy gravity itself. Or a highschool girl who's actually the creator of the world. LOL, who'd watch that?
They're not "pretending". They are. Amateur musician is the term you're looking for. And that's pretty much how every musician begins their careers.
Sudo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:45 am Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
At last "K-On!" is dying a slow and painful death. The anime was one of the worst series I've ever watched. If I wanted to watch a show about a music club that only sits around eating sweets...on second thought there's no good show out there with a premise like that!

I'm going back to watching "BECK," a show about a newly-formed band that got it right!

K-ON! isn't about music, it's slice of life, primarily. The music takes a backseat. The manga has much less moe, and since it's a 4koma it's obvious that KyoAni had to add filler because there's not enough material to cover.
ac195

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:59 am Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:

Well, you know what? At least K-ON didn't have to cuss every 5 minutes to get a good show in. You wanna say that it's one of the worst shows you've ever seen? Apparently, you haven't seen Negima, Mitsudomoe, and Kiss X Sis. K-ON is WAY better than those shows, and it didn't even have to show a pair of -- *remembers the first performance episode* --,,,,,,,bras to get otaku viewers. And what do you mean "a slow and painful death"? If anything, it will go out in style and fans of K-ON and music alike will be asking for more in due time.

Rant over.

Mahou Sensei Negima! is the best running shonen MANGA series PERIOD... the anime is garbage though...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:11 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Moe girls pretending they are musicians and singing otaku based music?

People who had their beloved ones killed and now pilot giant robots that defy gravity itself. Or a highschool girl who's actually the creator of the world. LOL, who'd watch that?
They're not "pretending". They are. Amateur musician is the term you're looking for. And that's pretty much how every musician begins their careers.
So this can go two basic ways:
1) They continue after graduation practicing and getting better.
2) they break up and go their seperate ways.
If they were a UK band , they would be doing gigs in any venue that will have them, pubs, restaurants, school proms, local live events, getting in front of live people, getting tired and exhausted making music and hoping the crowd will cheer them for more and not harrass them instead. Maybe creating a blog with free listen and downloads keeping track of hit counts. It's what the Arctic Monkeys did. Wink

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:30 am Reply with quote
Seriously, those who are dancing on K-on's graves really need to look at some serious trash that has been animated... like Training with Hinako or Debutante Detective Corps.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:13 pm Reply with quote
ac195 wrote:
SonicRenegade84 wrote:

Well, you know what? At least K-ON didn't have to cuss every 5 minutes to get a good show in. You wanna say that it's one of the worst shows you've ever seen? Apparently, you haven't seen Negima, Mitsudomoe, and Kiss X Sis. K-ON is WAY better than those shows, and it didn't even have to show a pair of -- *remembers the first performance episode* --,,,,,,,bras to get otaku viewers. And what do you mean "a slow and painful death"? If anything, it will go out in style and fans of K-ON and music alike will be asking for more in due time.

Rant over.

Mahou Sensei Negima! is the best running shonen MANGA series PERIOD... the anime is garbage though...

I never said the manga. I like the manga, I hated the anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
superunature

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quote
kakifly's work is generally short, 3-5volumes long so the ending makes sense.
There are TONS of licensors making it's products, even if its a permanent end, merchandising will continue for a good while.
just because it makes money dosen't mean it won't be a permanent end. such as "Fullmetal Alchemist" manga sells nearly a million copys each volume but still ended.
I hope k-on can continue, Im sure now kakifly is famous because of k-on, he will probably make something similar if not sequeling it.
and kiss x sis is a terrible anime....rather disgusting (Trivia: Azusa's voice actress plays as one of his sisters in kiss x sis). And also a poor made april 2010 anime is mayoi neko overrun. clearly low budget (repeats scenes, plays slow motion ping-pong for a whole two hours). could have been better,(azusa's voice actress plays as nozomi, ritsu's voice actress plays as otome) I was looking forward to it.
well at least in fall 2010, there's motto to-love ru. rather ecchi, but at least I have something new to watch weekly.
honestly, anime with hundreds and hundreds of episodes aren't good, because it basically repeats itself. like pokemon,naruto,one piece,bleech.
we just need to wait to see what kakifly's next work is to see the future (if the end) of k-on will be =D.
however....I really perfer not to see their "college" life. most all animes are about girls and high school. few are elementory (doraemon,kodomo no jikan). but rarely college.
superunature

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
a good way to be remembered is that on the last issue, they all passed the exams, on the way home, an atomic bomb fell from the sky and kills them all. lololol
superunature

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
or even better, they all fails, and became NEETs. a year later, them and azusa go travel around the country tour. the end
the way its going. its not going to be a good "ending" so what can they put into one last 8page issue? they all pass the exam and go celebrate?, "the end"?
superunature

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:32 am Reply with quote
I hope kakifly will think of something to bring this back to life Razz
like toloveru....manga ended in 2009 ....then anime ended april 2010.... Then out of the blue, season 2 scheduled for fall 2010 as well as "spin-off" toloveru by the same author, which is really surprising o.o
superunature

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote
The way its going, I won't be surprised if kakifly draws more k-on as sequel or spin-off. reasons are
1. successful franchise, made him alot more famous and im sure he is getting paid alot more then his other works.
2. the four original main characters are all going to the same female only college.
3. the last issue of the k-on manga/anime will be them doing the college exams, which would not make sense as an ending to this kind of serie. (would expect more of a last-together concert as an final chapter/episode)
4. There are 9 blu-ray k-on!! disc to be released all at the same price, means all are x 3 episodes of k-on (27). So most likely there will be an ova episode march 25th, 2011.
5. it is very possible that when everyone think its the ending for a serie to suddenly becoming alive again. most recent example: to-loveru.
of course, I could very much be wrong
we'll see what happens, and see what kakifly's next work would be. hopefully he has a surprise for us Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2