• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What is an anime fan?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gundam83

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:01 pm Reply with quote
This thought came up because of my last post that I started about English dubs and I was amazed by the detailed answers that was given. And I wondered I guess I'm not much of a fan as a thought I was lol. I'm just a person who watches anime and that's it,I'm really not interested about the names of voice actors or the directors of anime(I can't name any Shocked)Does that make me less of fan than you guys who know a lot about those things?
So how do you define an anime fan? Someone who watches a lot of anime or is it more than that? Very Happy
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I define an anime fan as this.
"Do you like anime?"
"Yes"
"Are you aware of the existence of anime besides Pokemon, Bleach, Naruto and Dragonball Z?"
"Yes"
"Have you actually watched any of those?"
"Yes"
"Congratulations. You're an anime fan."
RHachicho

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
That's elitist nonsense you don't need to do anything more than like Anime to be a fan. Alot of people like to spin nonsense like you're not a real fan if you don't (Insert geeky behavior here) but all that really comes from is the desire to establish some sort of pecking order it's got nothing to do with actual desire for products or knowledge. Alot of these so called "fans" don't even know and/or own all this stuff out of any particular desire for the items themselves but for the chance to look down on people who don't have what they have.

Now before people go crazy on me I am sure there is a core of fans that really have an interest in all that stuff. It's just that I believe that a lot of people follow their example out of a kind of snobbery. It's the same in any community some people will care about trying to place themselves at the top.

It's sad to say though that this "real fan" stuff probably sprang from back when Anime was a niche thing that people looked down on you for getting too into. People would style themselves as hardcore anime fans and seek others like them who would accept their hobbies. This is probably when people this side of the border started calling themselves Otaku not really understanding it's meaning.

Note the "elitist nonsense" remark is not directed at the poster above I was writing when that appeared Smile"
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote
First of all anime fan is a person, not thing, so maybe "who", not "what"?
Second. There were toons of topics like that eg
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=130353&highlight=
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I think Anime fan is Legion
RHachicho wrote:

Note the "elitist nonsense" remark is not directed at the poster above I was writing when that appeared Smile"

Oh good, cause I was really trying to not sound elitist and as general as possible and I was hoping that didn't come across wrong.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
What is an anime fan? An anime fan is....

Totally predictable!

Sometimes from Japan!

May or not be a kid!

.... Okay, sorry. I just can't hear any sentence containing the words "what is" and "anime" without thinking about ADV's wonderful educational campaign.

Anyway, the whole "you're not a real fan if you don't do/think/know X" attitude annoys me to no end, but at the same time I don't really know that the only bar for entry into the Anime Fan Treehouse is whether or not you watch anime.

Let me put it this way- I like Star Trek, and I watch it sometimes if it's on, but I wouldn't consider myself a Star Trek fan. To me, that label implies some greater level of dedication than just liking the show. I think to be a fan, simply watching it casually isn't enough. I would need to go out of my way to track it down and enjoy it instead of just encountering it every now and then.

Of course, with anime that's not really possible any more since it's an almost exclusively DVD-bound product these days. With a few exceptions, you don't encounter it on TV when you're flicking through the channels on a Friday evening. You have to go out and look for it. I think we can conclude that anyone who does that, whether it's buying DVDs or watching stuff online or downloading fansubs, is an anime fan. If it was possible to just randomly come across this stuff every now and then with no effort, I think someone could like anime but not be a fan of it in the same way that I can watch Star Trek and not be a fan of the show.

It also goes without saying that anyone who would bother to post on a forum like this one is automatically a fan unless they're just looking for information on the subject.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:

It also goes without saying that anyone who would bother to post on a forum like this one is automatically a fan unless they're just looking for information on the subject.

IT'S A TRAP! *jumps out window*
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:29 pm Reply with quote
A fan of anything be definition is simply someone who likes/enjoys something. Do you actively enjoy "X"? Well then you're a fan simple as that. I refuse to see levels of fandom. I refuse to rate or grade people as better fans then someone else. Yes some spend more money and time invested in the subject then others but that doesn't make the others any less of a fan. They still enjoy it all the same. Limiting and putting stipulations on what shows you have seen or not to be a fan is pure idiocy btw. You can only have watched a few generic anime shows and still be a fan. Did you know they were anime and did you enjoy them? That's all that is required in my opinion.

Now if you are a fan of something you should WANT to support that thing as much as possible. If you don't it might not be around for long and then you'll lose that hobby. But supporting it or not doesn't mean you're less of a fan or not. It just means you're a smart and good person who supports their hobby to keep it going, or you're a shallow douchenozzle who does not. That's all about the person themselves though so that's separate from being a fan or not.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:40 pm Reply with quote
gundam83 wrote:
So how do you define an anime fan?

A person who can name all the girls in the following image:

Quote:
Someone who watches a lot of anime or is it more than that?

It's actually less than that. A fan is simply someone who enjoys anime regardless if they can really name the girls or not.

Even a person who reads one manga a year can be considered a fan.

Now, if you want to get into the otaku territory, well... let's just say the image above takes on an entirely different perspective.
Novium

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Love and dedication is all you need to be a fan. All you need is some curiosity so you can seek out different works from an animation studio, writer, director, etc. But liking a medium for its art and style is a good start for a fan.

Now if you were trying to figure out which voice actor, writer, artist, animation studio, or director were involved let alone looking at the end credits of every episode, that would make you an aficionado; you could probably land yourself in the industry with that kind of passion lol.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
gundam83 wrote:
So how do you define an anime fan?

Balsamic Vinegar, Choco Cornet, Jenny Craig, and Encyclopedia Dramatica. See what I did?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Why is Miyuki now named Encyclopedia Dramatica? Shouldn't she be little Miss Moe or did I miss something about her character.

Anyway, I think more than just enjoying anime, a fan should be willing to support the industry (such as buying manga or DVDs).
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote
An anime fan is someone who likes anime first and foremost and not just one titles. He or she probably should like multiple anime titles to qualify as a fan of "anime" rather than just a show. Secondly, he or she also should buy the shows they really like or least be willing to if they had the economic means. This distinguishes a fan from a leach or pirate and is fairly important to me, because if nobody supports the people putting this stuff out then they can't continue to do business. Pretty much if you own at least one or two legit titles on DVD or BD you're cool with me. It show you had the willingness to give rather than just take.

Quote:

I guess, I'm not an anime fan then, despite have seen about 800 titles. Laughing

I could tell you which series they're from though.

EDIT: A year later I thought this could used an amendment.

Last edited by Kruszer on Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total
RHachicho

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah that at least is true. Nothing wrong with watching fansubs but if you don't respect the industry enough to put some money back for the shows you love then it's not really fandom.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote
What is an anime fan? A miserable little pile of secrets!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
RHachicho

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to burt yer bubble but that describes everyone on the planet.

Anime fans just let themselves in on their secrets. Making them fundamentally more honest than most Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4