• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hellsing GN 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yamiangie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:17 am Reply with quote
Yeah it was sort of a meh ending and it does fail at quickly trying to tie up any lose ends. The strongest feature this thing has it he cover art work.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:28 am Reply with quote
Sounds like Ultimate will drag around when the ending comes around...
At least we'll be able to see it comin'!

Once we think it'll get better, it won't. And that's... pretty much it.

Still, Hellsing offered top-grade seinen for the most of it's run, and if it loses a bang of an ending, then that's a small tradeoff!

Good review as always Carl.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:41 am Reply with quote
Pretty much agree, but, OTOH, I think it ended rather maturely for its genre, considering the directions it could have gone. But hey, you can take it up with the manga-ka on Twitter, I guess. As for me, I need to go through the older volumes again to really evaluate it.

Quote:
And while we're nit-picking the back cover, the age rating (13+) is also obviously wrong. No series that details the inside of a girl's split skull is appropriate for thirteen-year-olds.

I brought that up in another thread. Is it just because it doesn't have tits that it gets away with that rating?

Quote:
to make it quite clear that Hirano would probably be quite annoying in person.

Haven't seem him at cons, but he sounds like Shirow with a sense of humour.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:29 am Reply with quote
It's been a bit since I read it, but I recall being happy that there WAS an ending at all. Could have really used about 3 more volumes to wrap this up, but with that said... the ending was well enough. I think rating it a B based on the other volumes was a bit harsh, only in comparison to other volumes in the same series is that true.. I'd think a B+ to A- is more deserving.

I guess, overall, my lasting impression was "That's it? Well, it had a decent ending.. cheers!".

I'll need to read it again from the beginning to fully judge though.
Oh darn Very Happy

Great review, by the way!
Pirkaf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:54 am Reply with quote
"rushed and anticlimactic"? It's quite typical for manga ~_~
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote
The rating system for manga has always seemed strange to me. Hellsing has a 13+ rating, but Aria is 16 and up... I know that there is no MPAA for comics and I appreciate that different publishers take the time to label their manga, but a lot of the ratings are just plain weird.
Beni_Hime

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:25 pm Reply with quote
It was definitely rushed! It had about 2 more volumes left! That's how I feel. It was a fun ride up until the last volume anyway. *sigh* Ah well... Thank you Hirano for all the previous volumes which were highly entertaining! Razz
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:50 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
The rating system for manga has always seemed strange to me. Hellsing has a 13+ rating, but Aria is 16 and up... I know that there is no MPAA for comics and I appreciate that different publishers take the time to label their manga, but a lot of the ratings are just plain weird.

Not quite. Hellsing have a very very high rating than 13+ if you saw the back. However the 16+ for Aria is kinda weird for me unless they think it's yuri.

Also the ending to me is not too rushed but kinda predictable.

spoiler[EVERYONE obiviously knew Alucard is still alive after the fighting ended. For the ending they should have allowed Alucard to finally achieved death. they did that with light,so why not him too???

and i also kinda predicted that Integra would make the hellsing bloodline die out with her. they should haved allowed a next gen of the hellsing famlily.]

Overall it's average. not to bad, and a solid ending but just too damn predicable for people watching hardcore over the top violence series like me.

Hopefully if Hellsing: The Dawn ever comes to the US , it's not this predictable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Not quite. Hellsing have a very very high rating than 13+ if you saw the back.

I don't know if you have a different version or edition, but all of my Hellsings (volumes 1-10) have a 13+ rating. I have the ones released by Dark Horse. Here's a picture of the back...
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/maiyura/IMG_0782.jpg

It's funny to me that they say "mild language" when they drop the f*bomb.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1