• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Streaming Preview: High School of the Dead full episode 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
Is this ANN newest fav?

I was quite surprised that Sentai announced a dub as soon as they licensed!
From the scenes I've seen it reminds me of Resident Evil, and if it's anything like that then this will probably turn out to be America's newest fav.

If this is ANN's way of planting that seed, then... make sure to fertilize!
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:29 am Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:

From the scenes I've seen it reminds me of Resident Evil, and if it's anything like that then this will probably turn out to be America's newest favorite.

Its not anything like Resident Evil at all besides the fact that there are zombies. I don't recall any of the RE games having boobs jiggling around the whole time anyways. I have only seen the first few episodes but it doesn't seem to be anything amazing.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:05 am Reply with quote
Fletcher1991 wrote:
Otaking09 wrote:

From the scenes I've seen it reminds me of Resident Evil, and if it's anything like that then this will probably turn out to be America's newest favorite.

Its not anything like Resident Evil at all besides the fact that there are zombies. I don't recall any of the RE games having boobs jiggling around the whole time anyways. I have only seen the first few episodes but it doesn't seem to be anything amazing.

Nitpicking aside... This is an anime after all...
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:22 am Reply with quote
I watched it here at ANN. I normally avoid live action horror flicks but have enjoyed anime horror (mermaid's scar/forest, blue gender, when they cry). I am looking forward to getting the dubbed DVD release and seeing what the rest of the characters contribute to the story.

Is watching "anime horror" cheating? I admit to being creeped out at the beginning of the zombie infestation but calming down towards the end of the episode. I think watching cartoon people getting chewed up by cartoon zombies is just less visceral for me, allowing me to watch scenes I would turn away from if portrayed in non-animated form. It might be similar to why I can accept and enjoy ridiculous panty shots and magical ki energy blasts in animation but not in live action film.
ac195

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:03 am Reply with quote
zombie horror + pantsu = genius
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:26 am Reply with quote
I'm an Anime Network subscriber and have watched all the episodes so far. I am no prude, but do we really need sound effects when the teacher's boobs jiggle on a show that is suppose to be at least somewhat serious? It's stuff like that that really cheapens the series in my opinion. I guess if it isn't fanservice-laden, it just won't sell in Japan anymore. Rolling Eyes
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:07 am Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
Is this ANN newest favorite?

I was under the impression Zac hates this with a firey hot passion like the sun.

Not as bad as his hate for Kiss x Sis though I imagine. Not only was that about incest, but it was just a totally shitty show.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:14 am Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:
I'm an Anime Network subscriber and have watched all the episodes so far. I am no prude, but do we really need sound effects when the teacher's boobs jiggle on a show that is suppose to be at least somewhat serious? It's stuff like that that really cheapens the series in my opinion. I guess if it isn't fanservice-laden, it just won't sell in Japan anymore. Rolling Eyes

I always love to point this out - this is a show that has a fair amount of gore and violence, yet it's the sound of jiggling boobs that "cheapens" the show for you? Excellent priorities!
Otaking09

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:11 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
Otaking09 wrote:

I was under the impression Zac hates this with a firey hot passion like the sun.

Not as bad as his hate for Kiss x Sis though I imagine. Not only was that about incest, but it was just a totally shitty show.

I hear ya. When Zac dislikes something, he simple doesn't resort to the numeric "0 out of 5" system, he'll use "whatever means necessary..." to demonstrate is pure disdain.
And if he justifies the points, one can't help but feel he's doing nothing more than throwing a cyber tantrum.

Kiss x Sis? Nah, he was more perturbed at Queen's Blade!
Sis just just made him stop watching. Tough... I don't really know if there's a difference. You can always look forward to Zac coming up with new ways to hate!
His Strike Witches 2 was toned down a little, so I was disappointed(impressed?).

I, personally, enjoyed Kiss x Sis for a variety of reasons. Hopefully none of which will be the reason I'll enjoy Highschool of the Dead.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
Otaking09 wrote:

Actually, if you read his review during the Summer he appreciated it for what it was, the review basically being "it's zombies. What else?"
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:14 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Zac rated HOTD's first episode as "who cares, zombies", and then he went on to say that if you like zombies then you'll probably like this.

But then I dropped it after the girl is like "they only react to sound" and then spends the next 5 minutes screaming her little head off.
kakitamike

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I find this show to be fantastic. It's not literature or something that needs to be dissected. It's the equivalent of a summer popcorn flick. It reminds me of Black Lagoon where I'd just fasten my seatbelt for 20 minutes and enjoy the ride.

Maybe it just takes very little to bother Zac, or it just takes a lot to bother me, but I still don't know what episode he means when the girls are jiggling provocatively while being mauled by zombies. I've seen every episode that's aired and I don't have a clue what he means. Although I also don't understand the view that fanservice is there to whip it out and get off to. Though I've never been to Japan, so if that's what it is, I can't counter-argue.

If you like action, I can't recommend this enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
snl67 wrote:

I always love to point this out - this is a show that has a fair amount of gore and violence, yet it's the sound of jiggling boobs that "cheapens" the show for you? Excellent priorities!

Come on! It's a horror show - the gore and violence is to be expected, the idiotic sound effects during fanservice scenes are not. That is like saying just because I watch something involving gore and violence that I somehow condone it - patently ludicrous.

Many horror films include "Fanservice" with the violence, but stupid sound effects to emphasize her big jiggly bust is just plain ridiculous. Also, name me any TV show movie, etc. outside of anime that has bouncy noises for bouncing boobs.

God, I can't believe I am even having this discussion!
him61

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:21 pm Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:
Come on! It's a horror show - the gore and violence is to be expected, the idiotic sound effects during fanservice scenes are not.

If you ever looked at the source material, you'd realize that it's just as much of a fanservice piece as it is horror. The mangaka normally does hentai! How could you NOT expect that type of stuff?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote
@ ani67 - yeah, I'm not sure where you got the idea that HotD was supposed to be a deadly serious rumination on the impact of a sudden zombie outbreak. Perhaps that's the version you would prefer, but it is clearly not the version the creators wanted to make. The show constantly undercuts the horror of the situation with different types of comedic techniques, including jiggly breast sound effects. Besides, using your argument of what "cheapens" something, there are those who would argue (I'm not one of them, by the way) that the horror of the HotD premise could be conveyed without resorting to gore and that doing so is exploitative and cheap. One man's cheap is another man's "awright!" I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2