• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Anime-Related Figures Thread.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Didn't know about either site, I will certainly check them out. Thanks!
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:44 am Reply with quote
I guess no one is buying figures anymore, huh? Yeah, I've not seen any that really jump out at me as well. A few Nendos here and there, but that's about it.

I just wanted to post the new for anyone collecting the Alter Strike Witches girls. Alter has Lynette available for pre-order.

Enjoy. Very Happy
victor viper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this thread is surprisingly sparse lately. I haven't picked up any new release figures since about August; most everything lately has been tracking down old items on my wishlist.

But 2014 is looking up. There's Alter's Perrine (unfortunately delayed), Lucchini and Lynette!
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I've picked up quite a few releases here and there but I've slowed down on my purchases to save money. I was put into a financial situation because I didn't receive any Financial Aid for my class so I paid out of my pockets (goodbye $3000 that I could've used on figurines). Plus, I've been too lazy to poorly photograph my new additions.

I actually have two preorders that should be ready by the end of this month but that's about it for the rest of this year. I think I have a couple of preorders for next year but they're spread apart by a few months -- opposite of the case of when I first entered fig collecting and bought stuff monthly.

I also really need to put up the shelves I bought; my computer desk gets extremely dusty quickly and there's barely any space on it anymore. . . My figs need some cleaning as well. Perhaps it's time to lock them in ziploc bags and bathe with them.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Now that Belldandy has arrived I imagine I'll be looking for another figure before long. The problem is what. I haven't seen a whole lot recently that've gotten my interest.

Maybe in the new year.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
victor viper wrote:
But 2014 is looking up. There's Alter's Perrine (unfortunately delayed), Lucchini and Lynette!

Man, I am getting old! I didn't even see Lucchini!

Thanks for this! Now, she's in pre-order stasis as well. Very Happy

I believe these last three make the collection complete. Looking forward to building my Strike Witches alter... er, collection shelf.
Wink
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:21 am Reply with quote
This thread has been quiet for a while.

Tonight Akemi Homura was waiting for me at the post offce.

She's now a proud member of the family.

Homura set me back AU$186.45 second hand from Japan Otaku Anime via ebay. She was the cheapest one on offer. Happily she's in pristine condition. Unhappily I didn't have the money when she was originally released.

I prefer this version to both the you are not alone version (the red ribbon is fine in the anime but unbalances the figure & I never liked the plaits and glasses design) and the upcoming timeshift version (the face is wrong and I dislike the lifted skirt and the crap around her feet).

I think it was worth the price. (What? Me rant about Aniplex prices? Never!)

On the subject of Akemi Homura I see this bit of graffiti each day from the train window on the way to work.

Last edited by Errinundra on Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:18 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
It has become lonely posting here. The thread starter, The Naked Beast hasn't been seen on the forums since May last year, the thread's one-time most prolific contributor, Poonk, hasn't posted here for even longer, and all the subscribers seem to have permanently retreated to the security of the community forums. It's altogether sad and disappointing.

On to happier matters. Last night Nadie was waiting for me at my local post office - just a few doors down from where I live. It has become quite the pick-up joint. Wink

The paint job for the maroon border of the cape could be better and there's a weird lock of hair sticking out from the front of her head but otherwise she's a beautiful and dynamic figure. I bought her secondhand from Terraformer in Japan through Ebay for AU$180.09. As with Homura Akemi she is in mint condition.

Here's the current collection (except for nendoroid tsunami fundraiser Miku Hatsune, who's at work):

I'm pleased to have added a redhead to the team.

(There's a weird effect from my mobile phone's flash. You can see light reflected from the individual base plates on the wall behind the figurines.)

Getting back to the gloom and doom, poor Rin Tohsaka is melting. It began with some 40ºC+ days a couple of summers ago (Edit: this post indicates it was happening before that even) and has been getting steadily worse ever since. She's now quite sticky to touch so that dust and lint are adhering to her. In addition the skin sections are becoming variable in tone. Oh! Oh! The Melbourne climate is compromising her wondrous Zettai Ryouiki!

I'm hoping that, to coincide with the upcoming Fate / Stay Night adaptation, a new figure will be released that captures her mischievous intelligence (something that none of the many previous figures have managed to do), while avoiding making her hair look stringy / ratty. I've always thought this Kotobukiya version was the best of a mediocre bunch.

Rin Tohsaka aside, there are no longer any figurines that I wish to buy. Unless something comes along that makes me go WOW! the way Sabre Lily and Shiki Ryougi did or I come to love a character, as I have with Mireille Bouquet, Rin Tohsaka or Homura Akemi, that's it for me. I've decided to be picky. I've ended up with two figurines I don't like much - Yami whose underpants are visible from almost any angle (which is fine for some but not to my taste) and Rider who compounds a similar problem with her watermelon breasts (hey, I'm a leg man, not a breast man, which should be apparent from the collection) - and, for the first time, my collection seems to be a wall of girls instead of a collection of individual girls.

So, unless something special comes along or some interesting discussion takes place here, I'm signing out also.

Last edited by Errinundra on Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:42 am Reply with quote
@errinundra
Sorry to hear about your Rin Tohsaka figure. I have what appears to be the same figure but with out any problems so far. She has collected a bit of dust but isn't oozing yet. We keep the temp about 22C in the house year round and I try to keep all of the figures out of direct sunlight. My wife has dolls that ooze like that. So far there is no cure.

Is that the original stand for your Mireille Bouquet? The stand mine came with is of substantially larger diameter and about 3/8 inch thick.

I respect your stand on obtaining additional figures. For me the only limit is what I have display space for.

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Last edited by Alan45 on Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:45 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
...Is that the original stand for your Mireille Bouquet? The stand mine came with is of substantially larger diameter and about 3/8 inch thick...

She's a resin copy of the Yamato original (which I've never seen for sale) that I bought online from Thailand. I had to assemble and paint her. The way I attached her legs to her body has left her on a crazy lean. She came without a stand so I've glued her to a painted blank DVD. Being resin she's quite heavy so I have to put another weight on the base to stop her from tipping over - hence where I've put Rider's. Mireille has already toppled and broken once so I figure I'll wait till it happens again and then I'll straighten her out, so to speak.

I really should pre-empt the coming disaster. Something might break that isn't easily fixed.

And Tohsaka? Sigh.... I don't have air conditioning so it can get warm in here during January and February. (On the flip side the weather has been cold this week, with snow in the foothills around Melbourne. Yes, I do have a heater.)

I'm no K'On fan but your complete band looks really good. On the other hand, the characters on the bottom level just aren't going to get enough attention.
victor viper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:59 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
This thread has been quiet for a while.[/img]

To be honest, I'd almost forgotten it existed. I was very surprised to see the new posts this morning.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:16 am Reply with quote
@errinundra
Have to use the bottom shelves for something. Very Happy I've noticed that non anime people see the cabinet and don't notice the specific contents.

Did you note the Shiki Ryougi to the right of the band?

I just noticed that if you click the posted photo it will give you a slid show of mostly figures. Just ignore the weirdness you may see.

After some checking I note that the Mirelle and Kirika resin statues were both solicited by Diamond (the only US comic wholesaler) in February 2004 and delivered in October of that year. They had a MSRP of US $99.99. I would have paid about US $70 each. They came assembled and painted.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:10 am Reply with quote
I did notice Shiki. Also Angel & Yuri from Angel Beats!

Hey, that cat figure is very realistic. And its head moves!

There are so many anime characters I don't know. Confused
dudebro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:34 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
For me the only limit is what I have display space for.

I have around 30 figures and more coming all the time, and aside from space constraints it's becoming a real bother to clean them. Have to buy a display cabinet soon. This one seems good, though I'm not sure if they ship outside Britain. Cabinets like that are not sold to consumers here, and I have no idea where businesses buy them from.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:32 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Quote:
Hey, that cat figure is very realistic. And its head moves!

That would be Noir. When I was trying to think of a name for her the anime was in plain sight. It seemed appropriate. If you can describe any specific figure by location I'll try to identify it. I'll admit some are there just because they looked good.

@dudebro
I suspect it depends on where "here" is for you, apparently not Britain. If you are in the US they certainly do sell good display cabinets. The one in the photo above came from an ordinary furniture store. I've also gotten cabinets from consignment stores, antique malls and flea markets. Stores going out of business will often sell their display cabinets. Some of the cabinets I have came from a former Teddy Bear store. If you go back this thread you will find some posters who were happy with cabinets from IKEA.

If you are not from the US you need to tell us where you are and see if other posters from your area can help. The main thing is to keep your eyes open for possible display options.

About cleaning figures, I tend to consider dust to be a preservative. I don't mess with it unless it becomes obvious. The more you handle your figures, the more likely something will break. Even fairly flexible plastic figures will break if they hit just right. Those odd strands of hair anime is so fond of are easy to break off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 96 of 111