• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Anime-Related Figures Thread.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:25 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
I've always wanted to ask this of a group of collectors: If you display your figures in the open how in the world do you keep them clean? Do you dust them every week or every month (or more or less frequently)? Do you go all out and clean them thoroughly with a Q-tip? Or just run them under tap water, or give them a once-over with a damp cloth, etc.? I've never had to clean one yet (see below) so I'm not sure what will or won't damage the material or the figure itself.

I dust mine gently with a light cloth. Some of my figures I've had for two years, and I've yet to detect any damage because of this method. If anyone knows an even safer method, please feel free to let me know.

As for my collection (I'll restrict details to bigger figures and not trading or small ones):

http://myfigurecollection.net/collection/Doom85/&view=icons&status=2&root=0

Yui (K-On!): bought at Ikasucon this year for $45. I've liked the series so far as I saw some this year on fansubs (and will pick up the DVDs when they come out, thanks Bandai! Smile ), and while I'd rather have gotten a Mio figure first, this is the only character they had. I'll pick up a Mio PVC (and one of Yui too, as this is just a nice smaller one) later.
L (Death Note): bought at Ikasu in '08 for $25. L is my favorite DN character, and I just had to have this cute version.
Reika (Gantz): ordered for $55 at Amazon last year, and came with a Japanese copy of vol. 26 of the manga! Hard to put together but worth it. They have a Kei figure as well, I'll probably hunt him down sometime.
Asuka (Eva): ordered for $35. Like Reika, hard to put together the way you want her, but worth it at the end.
Mikuru (Haruhi): bought at this year's Ikasu for $70. Actually my least favorite (but still good) Haruhi character, but the figure is so well-done it just had to be bought. But now I have to find the Tsuruya that matches her outfit, and I still need Figmas of Kyon and Itsuki to complete the gang! Money-consuming hobby!!!
Rei (Eva): bought at Ikasu at '08, and I was very lucky as it was the top Rei figure I wanted to find! Her blue dress looks so good on her, and they designed the face perfectly! Since Rei's one of my favorite characters, I'm picky about how her figure should look.
Christina and Feldt (Gundam 00): ordered both simultaneously for $20 each on Amazon last year. Both characters were very cool in 00, and the figures are very well-done for such a cheap price.
Deidara (Naruto): bought at FYE for $20. For such a cheap price, he's very well-done.
Kyou (Clannad): easily my favorite Clannad girl, and I was very happy to see her appear on Amazon suddenly for $55. Now I'd really like to find the Tomoyo figure carrying a pot for a reasonable price, it's so cool!
Rika (Higurashi/When They Cry): I went crazy about this series after seeing it for the 1st time, so I had to have figures immediately. After getting the trading figures I've got, I went through several sites to order this PVC figure and met failure (websites: don't say "available/in stock" if it's not! Update your statuses!!!), but finally found one for $120 on Ebay (......I really wanted it Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop ). I'd like to get the matching Hanyuu figure sometime, and for the love of god Japan, is it too much to ask to make a non-rare, non-fanservicey Mion figure?! She's my favorite character! Sad Rena's my 2nd, but the only PVC I like is her original, and good luck finding that for a reasonable price.....
Luffy (One Piece): ordered him this year for $45. Obviously have to start with the main character, though I'm not sure how many Portrait Of Pirates figures I'll be able to afford in the long run. I'll at least hunt down Ace soon, as certain people can understand why I'd want him next.
Yuki (Haruhi): my first figure! Smile After going "OMG, that's the cutest outfit ever!" after seeing her wear the witch outfit in the episode 0 of the series, I raced online and ordered her figure on Amazon for $80.
Gin (Gintama): Gintama is one of the best comedy series ever, so locating this figure made me very happy. $95 on Amazon, but worth every penny.
Eri and Yakumo (School Rumble): bought at Ikasucon last year for $30 each. Since they're both my favorite girls in the series, I was very pleased to find both. Now to just find a Harima trading figure.....
Sesshomaru (Inuyasha): this was hard, as I found him at Ikasu this year along with Inuyasha and Kagome, but could only afford one. I went with him as I didn't want either hero in the couple by themselves. I'll get the other two eventually.
Shana (Shakugan no Shana): most Shana figures are too fanservicey for me, so I was pleased to find this at Ikasu last year. $55 seemed a little much, but I considered it worth it.
Haruhi Suzumiya: her playing the guitar was one of the coolest moments of the show, so I was pleased to find her at Ikasu last year for only $35. Her striking a Gurren Lagann-style pose is an extra bonus.
Wang Lui Mei (Gundam 00): bought at Ikasu last year for $30. Very well-done figure, but for the record (00 spoilers!), spoiler[I didn't realize she was going to drop the whole cute/innocent appearance later on and gain a less than likable attitude, as I was only up to episode 17 when I went to Ikasu that year. She was one of my favorite characters initially, now not so much (but have yet to start Season 2, so we'll see). Oh well, it's a good-looking figure still, so I'm cool with it].

That's it, I'm very proud of my relatively small (compared to a lot of people on that figure website!) but growing figure collection. It's rough when so many of them vanish or go up in price way too much so quickly! Sad
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:37 am Reply with quote
I would think a feather duster might work well for dusting figurines. (Not that I have any personal experience with this. . .)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lkplkplkp3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:17 pm Reply with quote
If you think about it, if someone is really concerned about keeping their figures clean & free of dust, then just cleaning them with a cloth or a duster definitely isn't the best solution, especially when you're talking about complex figures (like mecha) or even just pvc statues, any figure, dusters & cloths can't be as thorough. Try getting 100% of the dust out of a figure or statue's eyes with a duster or a dry cloth, won't happen. The best idea is to display them in a cabinet or shelf that has a glass door, or you can even buy a glass figure display case, which looks quite like a fish tank, or some come in the form of a see-through cabinet or shelf. You get the idea, anything that's protective & see-through. Alternatively, you may benefit from vacuuming your figures, but it won't remove old (sticky) dust, so do it often. If you asked me, vacuuming them once a month with a powerful vacuum sounds like a plan.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
When I CAREFULLY pack them up to move, I was always thinking of just using a compressed air can... Just go gently of course^^ Just a couple puffs around the hard to reach places, especially since it has that little extension tube.

*sigh* I DO wish I kept all their boxes, just to be able to transport them :/ Not that it'll help for the ones that I bought used/without boxes and ones I had to put together. I'll figure it out. But I'll cry if someone's head falls off :'( I already broke off Ashura's sword (which now looks like a dagger...) in my CLAMP no Kiseki chess set, thanks to a roomate :/ The chess set is still nicely packed up in a box, so I can one day display them WITHOUT any problems.
lkplkplkp3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
When I CAREFULLY pack them up to move, I was always thinking of just using a compressed air can... Just go gently of course^^ Just a couple puffs around the hard to reach places, especially since it has that little extension tube.

*sigh* I DO wish I kept all their boxes, just to be able to transport them :/ Not that it'll help for the ones that I bought used/without boxes and ones I had to put together. I'll figure it out. But I'll cry if someone's head falls off :'( I already broke off Ashura's sword (which now looks like a dagger...) in my CLAMP no Kiseki chess set, thanks to a roomate :/ The chess set is still nicely packed up in a box, so I can one day display them WITHOUT any problems.
There's another idea, keep the boxes so that they stay clean, transport safer, and retain at least some of the resell value.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm.. upon seeing this... I have a compulsion to post a pic of my collection of figures of Rei from Evangelion.

One of these days I gotta finally reorganize my room and the rest of my figures and send a pic into Shelf Life.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:41 pm Reply with quote
So much Rei! I'm not a HUGE Eva fan, but I adorable Asuka and Rei figures (moreso Asuka, because my guilty pleasure is the long, flowing hair that many figures have^^ So pretty!)

So far, I only own the Rei and Asuka mermaids, 3rd version (the best ones, IMO). I was close to getting the gothic lolita Asuka, until I stumbled upon them. I still do want to get it some day, but I cannot decide on red or black (even if red is her colour, the black just looks real nice as well...) I also REALLY want the Rei and Asuka 2.0 statues... I saw an imported Asuka one and it looked beautiful, but the price tag was something to make me wait on...

Of course, I've seen my share of bizzare Eva figs, like the gladiator ones 0_o Those were just a little... far fetched^^
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I HAVE QUESTIONS

Can you guys assist me in finding figures of Kei and Yuri from Dirty Pair? I specifically want ones from DP: Flash, but I won't be too picky. I just don't know where to look since I've never bought a figure and have only recently become seriously interested. I checked Rightstuf and they have nothing. RACS has nothing. And Amazon has these two, but they're ugly.

My second question is: How good is RACS when it comes to figures? I noticed that while they don't have a lot of figures from shows I want, they have a decent selection, specifically for fanservicey ones. I guess what I want to know is are they more expensive than other places?

I have the same questions about Rightstuf.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shichimi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I always use YesAsia for my figures, personally. Their service is very good, never had any problems with 'em. Smile
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Oooh yay! Figures thread :3 I literally just starting collecting this summer but so far I have two already and three preordered for various months in the upcoming year.

Yotsuba Revoltech- Uggh I spent waaay too much for her, ($44 from Amazon) but I was afraid I wasn't going to have to chance to get her since she was discontinued. That is of course, until I was so kindly remembered about repaints and she was available for her normal price of like ~$20 earlier this month. Oh well, at least I still own her. Just seeing her on top of my shelf makes me happy and her being posable is a bonus, so I try to rationalize the extra $20 as I please haha.
Bonus Photo (Wow cool, golly!) : http://myfigurecollection.net/picture/93838&ref=user:belvederefoist

Azusa Nakano Nendoroid- Yeah I really am attracted to pose-able figures! I couldn't pass up Azunyan, she's one of my favorite characters and she's just too freaking adorable. I spent $38 (HLJ) on her. I should also mention that almost all of my prospective figure orders are going to be of her. I'm slightly obsessed. Though I won't go so low as to order ones that I am not completely in love with....as of yet. Haha.
No photos as of yet...!

My questions to everyone else-
Do you find yourself zeroing in on a certain character and making what seems to be a shrine to them? (Such as How a Girl Figure's 16 Yoko's..., or The Xenos with Rei figures!)
Also one of the reasons I finally began to start collecting was for figure photography. I love photography in general and I thought I'd try my way with figure photography. Obviously I'm still starting out but I was wondering if anyone else is dabbling in that as well?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Do you find yourself zeroing in on a certain character and making what seems to be a shrine to them? (Such as How a Girl Figure's 16 Yoko's..., or The Xenos with Rei figures!)

To quote Highlander, "There can be only one." Wink

Anyone got any suggestions for where to find this Revy (Black Lagoon) figure?
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:16 am Reply with quote
There are character designs I definately love, but I couldn't bring myself to collecting JUST that one. However, since I've seen SO many nice figures of the same char, I'll pick and chose the ones I like to add^^
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:07 am Reply with quote
[quote="Kruszer"]
Quote:

Anyone got any suggestions for where to find this Revy (Black Lagoon) figure?

My curio cabinet. Wink It's one of my precious favorites. I suggest Amazon.com or eBay as I think the figure is discontinued. I'd follow HobbyLinkJapan to see if they ever get anymore back in stock. As for cleaning I use one of the swiffer duster wands. Works like a bloody charm. I hardly have to move the figures and the thing gets up all the dust. Takes me 5-10 minutes to do my entire collection. Do it once every other week or so.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:47 am Reply with quote
Damnit, because I'd so buy that thing. Maybe if there was one of Lenali from D.Gray-man that wasn't in super deformed mode I'd pick that up too.

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shichimi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:08 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it's probably quite common to focus on just a few characters; I have a small but steadily increasing collection of Ryoumo and Kanu figures. I'm trying to find at least one figurine for each show that I own, but it's not always possible. I'd love to grab some of the spiffier Tachikoma figures, for example, but they're just ridiculously pricey.

As for cleaning, I just go over them with a dusting cloth every so often.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 111