• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Anime-Related Figures Thread.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:57 am Reply with quote
Remember when the site first changed over? They were saying how 100 pixels are what most people find comfortable. I wasn't happy with that at the time because the sides of the page were stark white and hard on the eyes. That's been fixed with the addition of the skins system.

So no, I'm not about to change my post width settings just for one thread. Though I don't think it would matter because as I said the post will stretch anyways to fit the image. The problem is when the image goes off the screen and requires scrolling. Were it just the images I wouldn't mind so much but it causes the text to run off the screen too.

And I don't mean the scroll bar appears on a single post, I mean the entire page stretches out.

I've actually had this complaint for awhile but I didn't say anything about it. It wasn't until errinundra told Hikari14 her posts in the character pic thread were too big that I decided to point out a similar problem.

But I'm fine with the 800 pixel width you currently have. It might knock my sidebar down to the bottom but at least it fits on my screen.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
@Vaisaga

I remember them saying 100 characters was most comfortable but I didn't buy it because it wasn't for me. It left me with a forum that was a narrow band down the center of the screen. It meant that a lot of posts required scrolling down to read. I experimented with several settings and found that 150 was what I was comfortable with. I certainly wouldn't recommend you changing your settings for one thread but you may find that a wider text width works for you overall.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I think the "100 pixels is most comfortable thing" comes from the predominance of smart phones. People usually keep those vertical.

Anyways, I'm fine with how it is now. But like I said, my text width wouldn't matter if the picture runs off the page anyways.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:28 pm Reply with quote
@Vaisaga

I still have to wonder why the picture never runs off the page for me. nobahn's screen shot took up all the message width on my screen but did not extend beyond it at all. Now I'm willing to admit that by coincidence he could have made it exactly the right width for my 150 text width. However, the same occurs with all those photos on page 98. That is stretching coincidence a bit too far. There has to be a setting we are missing.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Hm, I was only looking at page 99. Page 98 is fine for me and it appears the images did auto-shrink to fit.

Now I remember. I think it's specifically errinundra quoting that Rin picture that causes the problem. Maybe putting it in quote negates the auto-shrink function? Quoting does knock things over a little bit anyways.
StatuesFigsMore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Thought I would start a topic see how the forum members like it, or not and if postings like this have an audience in this forum. I am an anime fan, and love collecting figures

This is my unboxing/review video for my Yoshino 1/7 Scale Figure by Plum from anime Date A Live.

Hope you enjoy, if people on this this forum enjoy this sort of thing I will post future videos I make, if no one wants these videos I will not post any new ones.

Feedback on the videos are more than welcome, shooting ideas, requests for videos on figures in the background, or just a show of support ( this is more than welcome).

Quick thoughts on the figure - Very cute, has some paint issues but not enough to stop me from liking this figure, they might put some people off though.

Hope you enjoy the video and the pics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_Kd-E7ErQs

Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
I'm interested to know what impact does changing your text width to 125 have on the other things you like to have displayed on the ANN page?

I tried it and I prefer the default setting. 125 makes the rows too long and less comfortable to read since I have to move my eyes left and right more. It's a rather small difference and I'm sure I could get used to the wider option. Anyway I don't have any massive issues with the pics on the page 99. The message portion stretches a bit, but it isn't too annoying.

There are some pics here in this thread that are too high though. For example Alan45's picture of Nyaruko. Her legs are so long that she won't fit into my screen even if I go into full screen mode. But this is just a small problem for me. Like it's a mild annoyance, but you won't find a severed head of a horse in your bed if you post pics that are a bit too large.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
@StatuesFigsMore

We have this official thread here for anime figures and related topics/questions. So I took your post and merged it here.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:26 pm Reply with quote
@Cam0

Nyaruko was a bit big. I'll try to keep them at 600 to 800 tall in the future and see how they work out. Uh, the only horse I ever owned was a rocking horse my father made out of plywood and his grandmother's porch rockers. You would probably have trouble finding it in any case. Wink
StatuesFigsMore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:45 am Reply with quote
Feedback, Suggestions or just comments would be great - help me improve my videos for you to enjoy
This is my unboxing and review video of my Yuki Yuna 1/8 Scale Figure from Anime Yuki Yuna is a Hero (Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru) by FREEing

CLICK FOR VIDEO : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbV7M3e7A6k

These pics lose some quality after I resize them to fit the forum.

Last edited by StatuesFigsMore on Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:47 am Reply with quote
Careful, there. You're beginning to sound like all your here to do is advertise your channel.
StatuesFigsMore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:59 am Reply with quote
I'm just sharing my videos for collectors to enjoy. I only started making these videos about three weeks ago so brand new to making vids, so I'm sure there's a lot of room for improvement and if people have suggestions I would love to hear them. I couldnt embed the video so had to link to youtube.
I have been collecting for many years and watching anime for even longer but just started posting stuff on 'social media' of my collection recently so my posts might come across a little blunt or formal. Any problems with me posting here I can stop just shout no problem, just thought these vids would interest people here,
Vaisaga wrote:
Careful, there. You're beginning to sound like all your here to do is advertise your channel.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:20 am Reply with quote
There's no problem with posting your videos. But maybe you should post more pictures too? You only posted one for Yuuna and it comes across, to me anyways, as just an advertisement.
StatuesFigsMore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:24 am Reply with quote
Sorry, I got lazy, have to resize them before posting but will do - thanks for the feedback on the posts much appreciated. I will go back an add some more pics now
Vaisaga wrote:
There's no problem with posting your videos. But maybe you should post more pictures too? You only posted one for Yuuna and it comes across, to me anyways, as just an advertisement.
StatuesFigsMore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:21 pm Reply with quote
This is my unboxing, view and thoughts on my Takao Nendoroid figure 503 by Good Smile Company from anime Arpeggio of Blue Steel

*** CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO ***
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn3cjCYEMJE

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 101 of 111