• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ms. Answerman: The Award Goes To...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biliano

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:56 pm Reply with quote
vherub wrote:
I also recommend www.dvdpricesearch.com while this is not a seller, it is a powerful price engine that updates lowest prices as well as coupons/specials on the front page and has a great price comparison tool if purchasing multiple dvds. While it does not pricecrawl all the good anime stores (like rightstuf) it does include the main ones such as ddd, digitaleyes, dvdempire, etc

Wow, what a great recommendation! Very Happy Looks like I'm going to add this site to my favorite list. Wink
mystyc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca,
The most annoying/strangest email awards was quite amusing. You should do that more often, perhaps it may increase the awareness of submitters to such question, or even be cathartic, hehe.

On a similar note, this weeks questions (the others) seemed to have a much greater quality than some past weeks.

~Kevin
chrismage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:33 am Reply with quote
Hi I first found this seller on ebay.The seller(Store) is reliable and the prices cant be beat. Shipping costs are awsome!
You can go to either thier ebay store or the Non ebay store.

http://stores.ebay.com/Torrencia

http://www.torrencia.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cowpunk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:07 pm Reply with quote
On the flipping of Japanese names.

Not all companies flip names, or all names.

For example in the credits for the Ghibli titles Buena Vista leaves the names in Japanese order, as does AnimEigo.

In Manga Gutsoon did not flip author names.

I'd have to check to see if these companies also left character names in the original order.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Ms. Answerman:

Here are two more Japanese merchandise retailers that haven't been mentioned yet and I've used before:

- J-BOX / J-List (http://www.jbox.com): The mecca of Japanese items. They carry a large assortment of anything you could want from Japan and they get new items in all the time.

Here is a quote from their newsletter:

J-List Newsletter wrote:
J-List carries over 2000 unique items from Japan, including a wide range of items that would make great gifts for anyone you know who has a fascination with Japan. Whether it's a birthday, anniversary, or any special event, a gift from J-List will surely be remembered for years. Also, you can purchase J-List Gift Certificates year round, a delightful way to give the gift of Japan to a friend of loved one. You can choose electronic delivery (with a printable PDF) or physical delivery (with an attractive gift box).

Also, once you buy from them, they subscribe you to a very informative newsletter that goes over a lot of facts about Japanese life:

J-List Newsletter - March 14th wrote:

Today is White Day, the day that Japanese confectioners and retailers have
decreed that men give a return gift (o-kaeshi) to women who gave them chocolate
on Valentines Day, one month ago. While white chocolate is a favorite, other
popular items include candy, cute character goods that say "thank you" and more.
As with many aspects of gift giving in Japan, there's often a lot of "giri"
(obligation, what you're expected to do) and very little "kimochi" (feeling,
what you earnestly want to do), so that there's a built-in falseness to the
whole thing -- but of course, no one is supposed to take a day like White Day
too seriously. If you're a man and got some chocolate from a woman on Valentines
Day, be sure and give her something today to show your gratitude!

For everything Japanese, I highly recommend this site.

(J-Box, which I posted above, is the version of the site for under 18 customers or those who want the general items. J-List, on the other hand, is the adult version of the site for 18 and over, with adult and over-18 items in addition to the stuff found on J-Box.)

- Himeya Soft (http://shop.himeya.com): A store that distributes mostly multimedia items -- import games, CDs, and DVDs. They have great shipping options and really get things out fast. (One time, I placed an order on Friday afternoon, and got it the following Monday -- and the shipping was USPS Priority. Now that's fast.)
Reol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I used http://www.digitaleyes.net one day and I've never gone back to any other webpage for DVD's. The service is great and as far as I know they have the cheapest prices. Great customer service too, I pre-ordered Wolf's Vol 3, when I got it, the case was crushed and the dvd was more or less destroyed, I emailed them, they sent me another one, I got a new DVD before a mailing label to return the old one.(3 days from the email)
hkrok76

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:38 am Reply with quote
I can vouch some more for www.deepdiscountdvd.com ^^

Just got my Koi Kaze dvd + artbox...great show. Everyone should go and watch it...and then buy it....
Saphiro01

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really interested in the politics of anime fans. I genuinely love the medium of animation in general and don't scoff at anything that is in good taste and I'll even test the waters as far as supposed bad taste every now and again. (Otherwise I would be blissfully unaware of under the radar titles like Vandread and Samurai Shamploo due to a sense of first impression blues).

In a weird way I envy new anime fans. I have been watching anime since before I knew what it was. I was always interested in the story telling elements and genuine humanity of the characters as aposed to more 2-D (no pun intended) cartoons like Bugs Bunny. I still do however love all types of animation and do not put down the efforts of Walt Disney and Warner Brothers. Mel Blancs portrayal of Bugs Bunny and Company is still one of the best voice acting jobs ever concieved. I just simply have a preferance. A personal one at that of which I am quick to say is simply my opinion, of which I hope is shared by some out there.

To my original point of envy, I wish I could look at anime with new eyes again. Just simply enjoying new things, as aposed to seeing overly used subplots, fanservice and pretty girls/guys in place of real story and character and overly used stereotypical character types. (Boy I'm gonna get flamed for being truthful aren't I? Anime smile). I still LOVE anime. I won't stop loving anime even if it is relegated back to the stone age of third generation raw bootlegs. I just hope that we can keep anime for the most part at an intelectual level while still being entertained. Seeing boobs, butts and blood splatter is all well and good, but without good story telling.... It's just plain pointless.

I hope my words fall on someone who appreciates them.

http://www.tmpanime.com/
My online store recommendation is a store that is located in Orange County, California and is 100% legitimate products. Run by a good friend of mine, Tamim, Twin Moons Anime is a small but growing store with prices WAY under MSRP. Instead of hype, I'll give you an example:

Ai Yori Aoshi DVD 1 - Faithfully Yours:
MSRP - $29.98
TRSI - $26.98
Amazon.com - $26.98
Bargainanime.com - $25.98
Outpost.com (Fry's) - $24.99
Anime smile Twin Moons Anime - $22.85

The only place I could find that beats TMP Anime is
Overstock.com - $21.75

The percentage of discount is pretty much universal at TMP Anime. The shipping is the best part though! Tam is very personal with all his customers and deals with everything in a fast and high quality manner. I have recieved little goodies in my packages, as well as having all packages packed and safely secured in every way possible beyond delivering it himself LOL. I use UPS Ground for speed and quality of service, but on a lot of items TMP Anime gives free basic shipping.

(I shopped for comparison ONLY at shops that DO NOT have bootlegs next to legits as this would make it confusing to the buyer as to which was which... D A DVD's has BOOTLEGS abounds... How Do I define bootleg? Regionless, chinese subs/language, high anime volume with really low price.)
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Nobody seems to have mentioned Sasuga Japanese Bookstore. I've heard good things about them.
Freak24/7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:46 pm Reply with quote
For Japanese (reigon 2 disc) and lots of wacky and neat Japanese stuff (everything from kanji flash cards and Totoro Chopsticks to Adult material), I reccomend http://www.jlist.com/

If you missed it above, there is an adult content section so view at your own discresion.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:56 pm Reply with quote
tiredgamer wrote:
Nobody seems to have mentioned Sasuga Japanese Bookstore. I've heard good things about them.

Yeah, they are good. At Kcon this past weekend, I dropped several hundred dollars on some art books.
K.o.R

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I live in the UK and have always used Digital Eyes DVD (www.digitaleyes.net). Great prices, fast delivery and free money off coupons every month Smile

If you just want anime titles, then try www.animeonestop.com. It's basically the anime section of Digital Eyes (which is so big it needs a separate site Razz )

Only ever had one problem the very first time - got lost in the mail, but a quick email and a replacement arrived by express airmail within a week Anime smile

Totally recommended.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4