• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pirated Anime Seized in Hong Kong

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:34 am Reply with quote
Finally, there is some progress in the endless seek for these bootleg Chinese firms. This is just a little success since it's very much still going even though a few are found.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I was a little disappointed to see that these were VCDs and not DVDs, but then again, VCDs are actually more popular in SE Asia.

I'm assuming this is not the same raid that was made a couple months ago.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:21 pm Reply with quote
So why were they sold in retail outlets if it's illegal over there?
Darkener

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:00 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

because they can... also it isn't hard to find an anime shop selling bootleg anime in the US too... O.o
Nabeshin_1040

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes it is almost undetectable with things like this. I am however very upset that the stores are back in opperation. they should be shut down for good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Nabeshin_1040 wrote:
Sometimes it is almost undetectable with things like this. I am however very upset that the stores are back in opperation. they should be shut down for good.

It's not that it's undetectable when it comes to HK boots, it's that not much usually happens about it, and when it does, the stores just wait a little while, and then go right back to selling them.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:12 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Look at it this way...ever been to Chinatown in New York, Boston, LA, etc? There's bootleg goods all over the place; even if you don't go looking for them, you'll find some just walking around, as people peroidically sell bootleg DVD's right on thr street. The police simply can't get rid of it all-they try, but in the end things like drugs and violent crime have to take priority.

Now imagine how big Chinatown is VS how big Hong Kong is, and you begin to see how hard this problem is to stop. The recent string of arrests is promising though-it goes a long way as a deterrent.
Saito

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:36 pm Reply with quote
hmm..
but I can't help but wonder which Japanese studio complained to authorities.
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Much like the gophers in my yard, I think I got one, but they just keep coming back. *Googles for a fix.* Anyhoot, I'm sure some of this blame can be placed on the Internet and the fact Hong Kong is friggn' big.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:52 am Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
I'm sure some of this blame can be placed on the Internet.

And it will, too. Unfortunately, probably too much of said blame.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:17 am Reply with quote
more like someone didn't pay there bribe money.

atleast thats my take.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kokopelli

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:04 am Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
more like someone didn't pay there bribe money.

atleast thats my take.

bingo
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:48 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

Look at it this way...ever been to Chinatown in New York, Boston, LA, etc? There's bootleg goods all over the place; even if you don't go looking for them, you'll find some just walking around, as people peroidically sell bootleg DVD's right on thr street. The police simply can't get rid of it all-they try, but in the end things like drugs and violent crime have to take priority.

Now imagine how big Chinatown is VS how big Hong Kong is, and you begin to see how hard this problem is to stop. The recent string of arrests is promising though-it goes a long way as a deterrent.
It's just the tip if the iceberg. Sadly the sale of bootleg goods is usually run by the same gangs who sell illicit drugs and perpatrate violent crime to protect their operations. They're all related.
ojamajolilac

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:19 am Reply with quote
Now the Hong Kong goverment is sorting bootle anime! I mean they seized the people for doing bootleg films like 5 yr ago. But sometimes you have to buy bootleg anime, due to there isn't a lisenced DVD/VCD version. TAnime cryT e.g Daa! Daa! Daa! (my friend bought this because we're really eagar to watch the rest, but we'll buy the lisence version if it EVER comes out)
But I do know someone bought a bootleg version of Dragonball and Slam Dunk, that's wrong, there is a lisenced version of VCD out.

But I think the Hong Kong goverment should seize the people who letting other people download bootleg anime from the internet. I been in this website, there's MILLIONS of anime/manga to download.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:23 am Reply with quote
ojamajolilac wrote:
Now the Hong Kong goverment is sorting bootle anime! I mean they seized the people for doing bootleg films like 5 yr ago. But sometimes you have to buy bootleg anime, due to there isn't a lisenced DVD/VCD version. TAnime cryT e.g Daa! Daa! Daa! (my friend bought this because we're really eagar to watch the rest, but we'll buy the lisence version if it EVER comes out)
But I do know someone bought a bootleg version of Dragonball and Slam Dunk, that's wrong, there is a lisenced version of VCD out.

But I think the Hong Kong goverment should seize the people who letting other people download bootleg anime from the internet. I been in this website, there's MILLIONS of anime/manga to download.

You can't download manga/anime from this website. This is only an encyclopedia/news source.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2