• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bookstores Struggle, Blockbuster Nears Bankruptcy

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Live, Borders!

And Blockbuster just started renting out video games through the mail. If Netflix suddenly starts doing that, then it's over...
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm honestly still surprised Blockbuster is still holding on. I guess old people who don't own computers still need to rent movies from somewhere though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sheleigha

The problem I think with Borders/Barnes, is it's two businesses struggling, not to mention, having a competitor... I'm sure they wouldn't be doing AS bad if there was a merge... It's how most companies have ended up surviving in the past couple years.
jenthehen

I love Borders ... I don't understand why Barnes and Noble always beats the crap out of them? Why?? Borders rewards is FREE and their coupons are plenty and amazing ... Barnes and Noble has a pay card and you hardly save any money by being a member. I support Borders!!!
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
I'm honestly still surprised Blockbuster is still holding on. I guess old people who don't own computers still need to rent movies from somewhere though.

I'm 25 (not "old") and I still like to rent/buy movies ... I'd much rather watch a blu-ray on a giant HD tv than hunch over my laptop watching movie/shows for hours. I know you can connect them, but it seems like such a huge pain. ... and the quality may not be as good.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I love Borders ... I don't understand why Barnes and Noble always beats the crap out of them? Why?? Borders rewards is FREE and their coupons are plenty and amazing ... Barnes and Noble has a pay card and you hardly save any money by being a member. I support Borders!!!

Seconded. I never understood why Barnes & Noble always did better than Borders, considering all the awesome coupons they hand out. I guess it boils down to bad corporate spending decisions. =/
sepherest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Not too moved by Blockbuster going bankrupt, the three video rental places where I live already went out of business within the past few years.

That's a huge downer for Borders, though, They're the only bookstore closest to me and it's nearly a forty minute drive to get to it. I don't purchase books online that often either, since you can just order them at Borders and they can either have you pick it up at the store or get them sent to your house (and for free, last time I checked).
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Because B&N is cheaper, even without the card. 30% off MSRP requires a coupon at Borders, while that's almost standard price on newer stuff at B&N.

Last edited by bayoab on Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seca

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
brand wrote:

I'm 25 (not "old") and I still like to rent/buy movies ... I'd much rather watch a blu-ray on a giant HD tv than hunch over my laptop watching movie/shows for hours. I know you can connect them, but it seems like such a huge pain. ... and the quality may not be as good.

I believe what they meant was that older folks would still prefer to go to a store to rent movies instead of the younger generation that has more likely moved to Netflix for their DVD rental.

Of course I think the Red Box has also helped in the demise of video rental places like Blockbuster and Hollywood Video as those are much cheaper, don't need a membership for and have popped up just about everywhere. And Blockbuster probably took too long to create their own version of Netflix to keep themselves afloat though they are probably still doing better than Hollywood Video.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry for sounding like an unsympathetic bitch, but I don't care if Blockbuster goes under. It has become irrelevant in today's society, and I'm surprised that it lasted as long as it did.

It's sad about Bookstores, but they're also a dying breed as people rely more and more on online shopping. They will last far longer than Blockbuster ever will, but eventually they will die out as well.
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Seca wrote:
I believe what they meant was that older folks would still prefer to go to a store to rent movies instead of the younger generation that has more likely moved to Netflix for their DVD rental.

Of course I think the Red Box has also helped in the demise of video rental places like Blockbuster and Hollywood Video as those are much cheaper, don't need a membership for and have popped up just about everywhere.

I don't have netfilix but I have the impression you need a computer to choose what you want to rent from them be it a stream or a mailed dvd. I might be wrong, though. There are a surprising amount of people out there that don't have computers or the internet so I can see that keeping Blockbuster around, if just barely.

Though for me I still haven't upgraded to a new TV so I pretty much watch everything on my computer. I just turn my monitor so I can view it from my sofa.

Also I totally forgot about the Redbox but yes, I think that is like one of the final blows to the big rental chain. Why go somewhere else when you are already the store?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_V_

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:44 pm Reply with quote
if they wanted to survive as companies they should have gone digital; they arguably had more "resources" than digital distributors.

While I'm worried for those losing their jobs.....these companies should have tried to change with the times instead of clinging to the old business model, perfecting how to fight the last war just in time for the new one.
scchan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Border's price cannot match Amazon. I often find myself in a dilemma to buy from the local Border's store with the friendly folks that works there vs. the cheaper Amazon. The choice is hard when your landlord and insurance companies try to raise my cost.

Days are changing - the Internet is a big game changer. Business is dog eat dog. I just wish it does not go down the way of people getting laid off, but idealism quite often don't fit with reality. Of course, an Amazon employee and shareholder won't feel the same way Sad
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I live about ten minutes away from a Barnes & Nobles and they are NEVER empty. Seriously, you could go there Christmas morning and I guarantee there would be at least twenty people within.

I also live near a Blockbuster. They are always empty.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:59 pm Reply with quote
scchan wrote:
Border's price cannot match Amazon. I often find myself in a dilemma to buy from the local Border's store with the friendly folks that works there vs. the cheaper Amazon. The choice is hard when your landlord and insurance companies try to raise my cost.

Days are changing - the Internet is a big game changer. Business is dog eat dog. I just wish it does not go down the way of people getting laid off, but idealism quite often don't fit with reality. Of course, an Amazon employee and shareholder won't feel the same way Sad

Not everyone can buy online, so Borders is the next best thing for many. And for it to possibly go bankrupt would be an awful thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6