• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Black Butler Author Decries Illegal Videos, Downloads

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

also I support funimations edited release of dance in the vampire bund, when I said uncut I was refering to 4kids one piece or even yugioh. one or two scenes that do not contribute to the plot or the story in a meaningful way are by no means a reason to boycott a release.

Just so you know, Funimation went back on their decision to censor Vampire Bund. They recently said at a convention (either Otakon or Anime Expo, I forget which) that the DVD release is 100% for sure going to be uncensored now.
scchan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:44 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

But the majority of fansubs by views today are not subbing anime that it has become clear is likely to not be licensed ... they are either subbing already licensed series, or subbing series as they are broadcast long before it has become clear whether or not it will be licensed, and sometimes despite the fact that its a likely to be licensed.

For the sake of argument, the definition of licensing is very US/Canada-centric view. The subber and tracker sites can probably ban leechers where licensed copy is available, and they are not doing that as well. The tracker sites are not going to turn away leechers to pretend to be "legal" and "moral", and reduce their Internet ad income. And there are subbers are doing subs because Big-Download-Count-Syndrome for E-Peen enlargement.

I do think more subbers should work on more old school shows to get them out - that may actually benefit the industry. That is also in consistent with the old school ethics for fansubs. Oh, no E-Peen enlargement and tracker sites don't like reduced traffic... ooops!
BuckwheatNoodle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Right now I'm posting just for the sake of posting on the 25th page because 25 is my favorite number.

I think after 25 pages, we've reached a pretty darn good conclusion, no? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Toboso is not a batsh** crazy lady if you read the original transcript.
a. She has every right to be upset at those "fans" who send her those completely insensitive e-mails.
b. Indeed, the industry is in trouble.

2. "I'll buy it later" and "I'm just testing it to see if it's worth buying later" is not a legit excuse. My analogy linking bootlegging to a more punishable crime (shoplifting) seems appropriate. "Oh, I steal from ABC mart but I also buy from them from time to time, so I'm still supporting them" would not fly if I were caught by the keisatsu.

3. Borrowing from libraries is NOT the same as scanlations. Our tax money supports libraries and libraries pay for every copy they have. They lend it out to one person at a time; it's not being copied infinitely and passed on.

4. Most "fans" are penny pinching hoodlums who do not value how much work goes into printing, publishing, licensing, etc. and don't want to pay shipping costs to third party vendors. Boo...hoo....and these are the leeches of our anime society. The obvious excuse is "oh, the publishing company/record label gets all the money anyways" or "they make a lot of money anyways." Wrong.

What else am I missing?

Last edited by BuckwheatNoodle on Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
scchan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:52 pm Reply with quote
strawberry-kun wrote:
Just so you know, Funimation went back on their decision to censor Vampire Bund. They recently said at a convention (either Otakon or Anime Expo, I forget which) that the DVD release is 100% for sure going to be uncensored now.

Even if they is some censorship, one cannot always blame them doing them. You won't feel as bad when you are avoiding a bunch of lawyer letters, and Tea Party and fundamentalist obstructing the parking lot of your office.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:52 pm Reply with quote
BuckwheatNoodle wrote:
What else am I missing?

Kanagawa's kind of a pain if you're on the Nambu sen and not near Noborito.

Shukugawara, represent!
BuckwheatNoodle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:
BuckwheatNoodle wrote:
What else am I missing?

Kanagawa's kind of a pain if you're on the Nambu sen and not near Noborito.

Shukugawara, represent!

Anime hyper Nice.

I actually take the Den'entoshi to get into the city. Wink Which is not bad if you're on the express.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

4. Most "fans" are penny pinching hoodlums who do not value how much work goes into printing, publishing, licensing, etc. and don't want to pay shipping costs to third party vendors. Boo...hoo....and these are the leeches of our anime society.

Seeing as how transparent those things are to fans, "fans", and the general public it would be hard for us to get how much work goes into them.

3rd party vendors are just parasites that latch on to other businesses products for a chance at a free meal.

Okay, are we there yet?
BuckwheatNoodle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

4. Most "fans" are penny pinching hoodlums who do not value how much work goes into printing, publishing, licensing, etc. and don't want to pay shipping costs to third party vendors. Boo...hoo....and these are the leeches of our anime society.

Seeing as how transparent those things are to fans, "fans", and the general public it would be hard for us to get how much work goes into them.

3rd party vendors are just parasites that latch on to other businesses products for a chance at a free meal.

Okay, are we there yet?

I think we need a death threat or two for this thread to lock lol.

From now on, my posts will be about the effects of aging population on Japan's economy, and why women here in Japan should just chill and have babies.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote
strawberry-kun wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

also I support funimations edited release of dance in the vampire bund, when I said uncut I was refering to 4kids one piece or even yugioh. one or two scenes that do not contribute to the plot or the story in a meaningful way are by no means a reason to boycott a release.

I know but I prefer to have the loli-con aspects edited out
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

Either some of the money goes to support the artist or the people who paid the artist ... or it doesn't. If its only 10% or 20%, that makes it all the more important to get numbers sold.

If a higher quality print on demand printer takes away jobs in warehousing (I worked in a warehouse for a while when I could get a class) and shifts them to print on demand machine repairment well, wevs. For me, its about supporting the artist.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:21 pm Reply with quote
You can explain as much as you possibly can. It does not change the point that the cost of doing business remains transparent for fans.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
So, any chance of a lock yet, Zac?

Not just yet, the right comment hasn't been said yet and thus not warranting a lock.

Soon though, my guess is today or tomorrow at best.

How long did it take for the death threats to pop up in the Onemanga thread? We should be getting some gold soon, at any rate.

Yeah, the personal insults haven't really started flying yet.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
You can explain as much as you possibly can. It does not change the point that the cost of doing business remains transparent for fans.

You mean obscure, but what difference does it make, except for people trying to excuse trampling on the rights of the creators based on what percentage they get?

Except for the excuse makers, its simple. Either the creator gets paid, or they don't. While the details might be of interest to those of us who are interested in that kind of thing, they don't change the basic division between legit copies and bootlegs.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:40 pm Reply with quote
scchan wrote:
agila61 wrote:

But the majority of fansubs by views today are not subbing anime that it has become clear is likely to not be licensed ... they are either subbing already licensed series, or subbing series as they are broadcast long before it has become clear whether or not it will be licensed, and sometimes despite the fact that its a likely to be licensed.

For the sake of argument, the definition of licensing is very US/Canada-centric view. The subber and tracker sites can probably ban leechers where licensed copy is available, and they are not doing that as well. The tracker sites are not going to turn away leechers to pretend to be "legal" and "moral", and reduce their Internet ad income. And there are subbers are doing subs because Big-Download-Count-Syndrome for E-Peen enlargement.

I do think more subbers should work on more old school shows to get them out - that may actually benefit the industry. That is also in consistent with the old school ethics for fansubs. Oh, no E-Peen enlargement and tracker sites don't like reduced traffic... ooops!

Precisely. All of the arguments, "but I'm in a country that doesn't have ..." to defend leechers who are, in the case of this article, IN JAPAN.

Since most copyright violation in most countries are civil offenses, enforced by rights holders bringing a lawsuit, any leech streaming site that filtered regions that had licensed content and forwarded the link to Crunchy or Hulu or Youtube or wherever the licensed content was available would be likely to escape enforcement attention. They also would be less likely to get their links copied by US-based sites to get taken down that way. But they would sacrifice the precious hits, whether for ad revenue or ego strokes.

Jaymie wrote:
... How long did it take for the death threats to pop up in the Onemanga thread? We should be getting some gold soon, at any rate.

Lots of "same day members" in the OneManga thread, used to a quite different style of discussion.
MisterH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
scchan wrote:
subbers are doing subs because Big-Download-Count-Syndrome for E-Peen enlargement.

If I knew how to rip shows and subs from CR, I'd buy a subscription and anonymously distribute the rip.
Why?
Altruism. A hard concept to grasp for those only motivated by self interest.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 28