• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Films Adds Utakata, Taisho Baseball Girls

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
WHOA! Man, Sentai sure picks up titles that are under the radar. Geez, it has been awhile since I've seen Uta-kata; a LONG while. Shocked
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! I love Taisho Baseball Girls, even though I'm surprised that this got picked up because it's got baseball in the title. Maybe if this does well enough they'll consider picking up Big Windup! Season 2. Yeah yeah, I know, even though they're both baseball the subject matter is completely different. But I can dream, can't I?

I've never seen Uta Kata but it's yuri so I'll probably try it out if it gets streaming on the Anime Network. Though I have to say Funi beats them out because they just licensed Ga Rei Zero. What I would really love is to see Sasameki Koto get a release over here. Sentai seems to be picking up a fair amount of yuri, so why not?
Weiss_Yohji

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Hell Girl season 3...Sentai and Section 23 had better go back over and dub it and season 2 later. And get the FUNimation dub cast back together, if possible.
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty psyched for Taisho Yakyuu Musume; I've heard really good things and was interested in it when it first came out, though i never got a chance to see it.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Weiss_Yohji wrote:
Hell Girl season 3...Sentai and Section 23 had better go back over and dub it and season 2 later. And get the FUNimation dub cast back together, if possible.

One can hope.

Personally I think it's kinda likely that they will at some point go back and dub it. That said if they do I don't know if they can get the original cast back. Even though they are also in Texas where all the actors from Funi are I don't really know if many of the actors do much outside of Funimation.

For example Brina Palencia plays Ai and she does a TON of stuff for Funi but I don't recall seeing her in anything from any other company.(although I could be wrong I'm too lazy to look)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Major win for Section23 for me. I'll definitely pick up both of these titles as I enjoyed both quite a bit. Maybe I'll finally be able to see the specials for Taisho with subtitles if Section23 decides to include them in the release.
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
LeanGreen - Having watched Uta∽Kata it is way more on the shoujo-ai end of the scale. Honestly I'm kind of surprised it is tagged with yuri at all. Very good show though, I really enjoyed it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
LeanGreen - Having watched Uta∽Kata it is way more on the shoujo-ai end of the scale. Honestly I'm kind of surprised it is tagged with yuri at all. Very good show though, I really enjoyed it.

Good to know, but with a recommendation like that I'm only more excited. Wink I think the line between yuri and shoujo-ai tends to be less defined than yaoi and shonen-ai anyway; I see a lot more shows with both the yuri and shoujo-ai tags than both yaoi and shonen-ai.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! I was among those who assumed that Taishou Yakyuu Musume had no chance after Big Windup flopped. I'll be pre-ordering just as soon as it hits Right Stuf!
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Nice! I enjoyed Taishou Baseball Girls; it was a nice lighthearted cute anime. No brainer buy from me.

If Section 23 manages to get Big Windup Season 2, I would die of happiness.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
LeanGreen wrote:

I've never seen Uta Kata but it's yuri so I'll probably try it out if it gets streaming on the Anime Network. Though I have to say Funi beats them out because they just licensed Ga Rei Zero. What I would really love is to see Sasameki Koto get a release over here. Sentai seems to be picking up a fair amount of yuri, so why not?

Sasameki Koto seems a bit likely for Sentai to go for with the way things are (hopefully Media Blasters gets better). Though I kind of wish it'll be a company that's willing get some merchandising rights along with it; this goes for the same for the other yuri titles that are left. I am willing for at least a wallscroll of a yuri title which I seriously have not gotten yet!!! Crying or Very sad

That reminds me, has there been merchandising of sorts for any of Sentai's titles even their supposed big ones?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote
LeanGreen wrote:
I've never seen Uta Kata but it's yuri

While it has elements of both shounen-ai and shoujo-ai (or whatever the favourite terms are these days), I would hesitate to label it a "yuri anime".

--edit--

article wrote:
Utakata's first English-subtitled DVD collection will ship on November 2

While it is called "Collection 1" it is actually the entire series - it says "UTA-KATA- THE COMPLETE SERIES!" in the description and is 325min long which accounts for all 13 episodes including the OVA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:

One can hope.

Personally I think it's kinda likely that they will at some point go back and dub it. That said if they do I don't know if they can get the original cast back. Even though they are also in Texas where all the actors from Funi are I don't really know if many of the actors do much outside of Funimation.

I think the best answer to this issue is if the sub-only DVD sales does well enough, then they might go back and re-release the series with a dub (e.g. Clannad, Legends of the Dark King, Tears to Tiara). If it does extremely well, then they might bring back the original cast.

As for the new releases. The only show that interests me is Utakata even though I'm not a big fan or yuri or magical girl. But I'd need to wait a few months for my final decision.

Last edited by Dark Paladin X on Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm mildly interested in checking out Uta~Kata. Hopefully they'll place the series up on ANoD.

spoiler[inb4 any possible "no dub no buy" rant]
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Just Hell Girl season 3 part 2 for me. As for Ghost Sweeper Mikami part 1, it'll all depend on if the movie's decent since i'm waiting for it to come through the mail.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4