• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Films Adds Utakata, Taisho Baseball Girls

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, for anyone who isn't willing to try Taisho Baseball Girls, I really suggest you at least watch the first few episodes. It's a really sincere show and anyone, especially girls, should be able to enjoy it.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
That reminds me, has there been merchandising of sorts for any of Sentai's titles even their supposed big ones?

From Sentai themselves? No, but Gintama, Clannad, and Tears to Tiara definitely have their share of goodies, and Hell Girl had at least a plush from as far as I can remember.

Anyway, hopefully these titles do well though I have no interest in them myself. I'm worried we'll see another "Big Wind-up" flop, but hopefully Sentai will be luckier.
darcerin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
*bounces up and down* OMG UTA KATA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*breathes* Ok, I'm good, really, I am.

I love that the "battle" outfits in each show were designed by different people. If I recall correctly, at least one of them was designed by a famous manga-ka - and I want to say Tito Kube, but I think I'm wrong about that. I'd have to see the episode again.

While I saw it a while ago, it was more down the scale of shouji-ai, and not yuri. I'd *highly* recommend it. I'm SO glad this has been licensed!!
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA

SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD

*ahem*

I don't understand the "Collection 1" business though. It was a 12-ep series with a 1-ep OVA. 325 minutes is the whole thing.

Now, Sentai23, license Manabi Straight and I will sacrifice my firstborn in honor of your glory.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA UTAKATA

SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD

*ahem*

I don't understand the "Collection 1" business though. It was a 12-ep series with a 1-ep OVA. 325 minutes is the whole thing.

Now, Sentai23, license Manabi Straight and I will sacrifice my firstborn in honor of your glory.

"Utakata's first English-subtitled DVD collection will ship on November 2, ..."
Maybe they simply meant "the first ever English-subtitled DVD" for this series? Just taking a guess here, because you're right, there won't be a second dvd collection.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
I love that the "battle" outfits in each show were designed by different people. If I recall correctly, at least one of them was designed by a famous manga-ka - and I want to say Tito Kube, but I think I'm wrong about that. I'd have to see the episode again.

They are all listed in the encyclopaedia article under "Ending Illustrations" (as well as designing the costume for that episode they also created artwork for that episodes ending sequence). The famous mangaka involved were Ken Akamatsu (Negima, Love Hina) and Koushi Rikudou (Excel Saga).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, nothing here for me this time, but seeing how they picked up the subsequent seasons of Hell Girl, I can only hope that they'll pick up the subsequent seasons of things I actually want, like Higurashi. I'm still confused as to why Higurashi Kai hasn't been picked up, the first season can't have done that badly (in terms of sales).

Uta Kata was a 2004 series, seems a bit "old" by today's standards to get licensed, but I do hope companies will license more old shows and not just the newest stuff coming out, there's plenty of older shows *cough*Kaiba*cough* that could still use a license, I hope this is an indication that they might license some more "older" stuff.
LuScr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Wow. This is a pleasant surprise--I'd given up hope of Uta Kata ever being licensed.

Now, if someone will just pick up Mahoraba...
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Uta Kata seems interesting... From what I've heard, it's a magical girl series with both yuri and yaoi elements? If true, that sounds fantastic.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:40 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I'm still confused as to why Higurashi Kai hasn't been picked up, the first season can't have done that badly (in terms of sales).

I'm wondering that too because it definitely hasn't sold badly. According to FUNimation its actually done quite well, and has often sold out at cons.
darcerin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
darcerin wrote:

They are all listed in the encyclopaedia article under "Ending Illustrations" (as well as designing the costume for that episode they also created artwork for that episodes ending sequence). The famous mangaka involved were Ken Akamatsu (Negima, Love Hina) and Koushi Rikudou (Excel Saga).

Whoops, I've been multitasking all night, didn't think to look at the Encyclopedia. It's Ken Akamatsu I was thinking of, because I *loved* his outfit that he designed.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:
I'm still confused as to why Higurashi Kai hasn't been picked up, the first season can't have done that badly (in terms of sales).

I'm wondering that too because it definitely hasn't sold badly. According to FUNimation its actually done quite well, and has often sold out at cons.

Maybe because Kai is far worse of a show than the first season?
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
doubleO7 wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:

Maybe because Kai is far worse of a show than the first season?

It's not that bad. Besides, Higurashi is incomplete without Kai. You can't have a mystery without the solution.
I'm interested in the concept of Taisho Baseball Girls; but does it deal with it seriously or is it more comedic?
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:25 pm Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:

I'm interested in the concept of Taisho Baseball Girls; but does it deal with it seriously or is it more comedic?

It's a good balance of the two, actually. It doesn't weight itself down in gender politics nor does it cheapen them. As many have said already, it's a very sincere series that has more genuine female empowerment than the majority of anime these days claiming to have such.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:22 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Uta Kata seems interesting... From what I've heard, it's a magical girl series with both yuri and yaoi elements? If true, that sounds fantastic.

Yes. You can find AMVs and clips on youtube highlighting both elements just by searching for "Uta Kata" btw

Also wish that they would release Taishou on Bluray... Sad Sad Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4