• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Negima/Love Hina Creator Observes Moe Boom's Reported End

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I always knew moe was a fad. I never understood it anyway, never got why tons of people in Japan like it so much.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:37 pm Reply with quote
With a little luck, this can be a turning point in the moe-moe overload and otaku pandering anime. *crosses fingers*
KariOhki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I'd like the moe bubble to burst, maybe then I'd actually watch new shows again. Last fall's Tatakau Shisho being an example of something refreshing that I liked.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I say we all concentrate all of our energies on this more interesting matter!!!

Quote:
Akamtsu cited the third reason to argue with a friend that yuri works would be a hit this year, but he sadly feels that this did not turn out to be the case

I shall wait a couple more years for that to happen!!!
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I love the moe style ~

I'll never understand why moe is considered such a male-oriented thing ... it seems ... well, pretty damn girly to me. I mean, I'm surprised that men even like K-On. I can't imagine any non-otaku American guys being interested in a similar American show (about high school girls hanging out).
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I'd say moé's obviously beyond the expansion phase, which was inevitable, but as long as shows like K-On!! (and whatever similar shows succeed it after it ends next month) remain mega-popular, moé isn't going away anytime soon.

One big thing now is incorporating moé style into other types of anime, with a perfect example being A Certain Scientific Railgun getting a second season (or third, depending on how you break up "seasons" for late-night shows). Not that moé was ever a singular genre anyhow, just a vaguely-defined art style.

If moé did go away, I'd be buying a lot less recent anime.

EDIT:
jenthehen wrote:
I can't imagine any non-otaku American guys being interested in a similar American show (about high school girls hanging out).

I watch (the Canadian) 6teen, which is, while not on nearly on the same level as K-ON!!, Minami-ke, or Azumanga Daioh, still the closest thing to an animated slice-of-life show about teenagers I've seen since Daria.

Last edited by Tenchi on Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote
KariOhki wrote:
I'd like the moe bubble to burst, maybe then I'd actually watch new shows again. Last fall's Tatakau Shisho being an example of something refreshing that I liked.

That would be quite wonderful and would have more benefits than one would initially think. Moe may not be as bad as some of the harder core anime genres, but it's pretty bad.

And if Ken really thinks what he has said, maybe (hopefully) moe will eventually disappear or stopped being made all together.

There needs to be more normal anime shows that can appeal to more than a selected crowd or just one crowd. That might work for a little bit, but not for too long or forever.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A lack of series with male leads, versus many anime titles that have female-only main casts

So it's alright to have a billions females in anime and only just one male, as long as the dude is the lead character? Since Negima and Love Hina aren't exactly examples of masculinity, I don't really see the point behind that quote. :/

Not saying that he's wrong though, but Akamatsu isn't quite the best messenger for that kind of speech if you ask me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Insert NSFW Ken Akamatsu jab here.
Lenks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
Quote:
A lack of series with male leads, versus many anime titles that have female-only main casts

So it's alright to have a billions females in anime and only just one male, as long as the dude is the lead character? Since Negima and Love Hina aren't exactly examples of masculinity, I don't really see the point behind that quote. :/

Not saying that he's wrong though, but Akamatsu isn't quite the best messenger for that kind of speech if you ask me.

He's not saying it's wrong. However, male leads do sell more since it appeals to both genders more.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
With a little luck, this can be a turning point in the moe-moe overload and otaku pandering anime. *crosses fingers*

From your mouth to God's ears.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote
this was one of the smartest things I have heard from a mangaka in a while
Panon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
but but isn't moe killing anime? Rolling Eyes
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Moe dying? Hallelujah!

As for point 3, I found Marimite to be oddly compelling. I watched it because it was on Anime Network On Demand, but I wasn't expecting to get as into it as I did. Part of what I like about it is that it's sincere. It doesn't have the ulterior motive I usually associate with moe. It's about a group of girls and their drama, not a group of girls and their drama and hopefully we'll get a brief glimpse of their panties.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:51 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I'll never understand why moe is considered such a male-oriented thing ... it seems ... well, pretty damn girly to me. I mean, I'm surprised that men even like K-On. I can't imagine any non-otaku American guys being interested in a similar American show (about high school girls hanging out).

I guess now that you mention it, I do wonder what age demographic(s) in Japan does K-ON or other moe shows actually target? The claim I usually hear is that they target hardcore-otaku males college years and above or something like that, but considering Japan's culture towards general entertainment, is that the only age demographic K-ON targets? I mean in a rough estimate, how many Japanese teenage girls watch K-ON?

Tenchi wrote:
I watch (the Canadian) 6teen, which is, while not on nearly on the same level as K-ON!!, Minami-ke, or Azumanga Daioh, still the closest thing to an animated slice-of-life show about teenagers I've seen since Daria.

It's funny you mentioned that because last week, I thought of what K-ON and moe could be compared to not just American animation but American entertainment in general and in terms of the the type of setting and in terms of it riding the wave of popular, trendy entertainment, I thought K-ON was somewhat comparable to iCarly. It feels like that show is very popular and part of the live-action preteen/teen sitcom trend which I don't know about everybody else, but I feel like it has been flooded with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4