• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: American Artist Posts Manga-Inspired Wonder Woman Pitch

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_V_

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
What I think is ironic is that Bruce Timm, the guy that created the DC Animated Universe, is a big anime fan.

Particularly of Evangelion -- there was one episode (when they go to the alternate dimension where its Golden Age Comics) where at the beginning they fight a giant robot that looks an awful lot like an Eva.

Also, Bruce Timm has personally made fanart of Rei and Asuka, as they would appear if they were in the DC Animated Universe's animation style.

so the big animated DC guy loves anime, and they're trying to make an anime-ified DC Wonder Woman.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:42 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
Also, Bruce Timm has personally made fanart of Rei and Asuka, as they would appear if they were in the DC Animated Universe's animation style.

Hah, just googled the pictures. Asuka looks pretty good, but I'm not sure about Rei having an actual defined lip. Razz
PBsallad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
A Wonder Woman manga would be interesting...

Big Hed wrote:
_V_ wrote:

Hah, just googled the pictures. Asuka looks pretty good, but I'm not sure about Rei having an actual defined lip. Razz

Wile searching around I see he also made a Sailor Moon pin up. Ohh... and some Dirty Pair too.

And sorry to go further off topic, but looking at his drawings of none DC characters, especially ones from other comic companies, is quite fun. Very Happy

edit: a little more Sailor Moon. =p
Rolling Eyes
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:58 am Reply with quote
Insert obligatory official Wonder Woman bondage shots here. Laughing
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:24 am Reply with quote
Maybe if I squint really hard that looks like something I'd feel comfortable calling "manga", but I'm really seeing more Timm or Genndy Tartakovsky influences than anything.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:11 am Reply with quote
I think I'll call it "manga-inspired" rather than manga; I can see some Eastern influence but it's more of a mid-Pacific thing. It definitely looks WAY better than the Marvel Mangaverse which missed the point and just made everyone really bad manga stereotypes. Although THIS comment irks me: "kids comics are 'loss leaders' that never turn a profit."

Y'know, maybe if this attitude never arose the comic industry wouldn't have collapsed back in the 90s.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:41 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
What I think is ironic is that Bruce Timm, the guy that created the DC Animated Universe, is a big anime fan.

Particularly of Evangelion -- there was one episode (when they go to the alternate dimension where its Golden Age Comics) where at the beginning they fight a giant robot that looks an awful lot like an Eva.

so the big animated DC guy loves anime, and they're trying to make an anime-ified DC Wonder Woman.

Not only that, Warner Bros (whom I believed owns DC Comic) has been getting involved with the anime business like getting Batman the anime treatment aka Batman: Gotham Knight, handling several anime title like Appleseed Ex Machina, Halo Legends, and now they want to make a new Thundercats series to Studio 4C. So yeah it's not a surprised to me that someone from DC like anime. Warner Bros also has a strong presence in Japan, so let's not forget that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shichimi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:49 am Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:
While searching around I see he also made a Sailor Moon pin up. Ohh... and some Dirty Pair too.

Pretty cool, although Adam Warren's take on the Dirty Pair is my favourite. The artwork is just phenomenal in Sim Hell and Run From the Future, and I would have some kind of joygasm ( Confused ) if Dirty Pair ever got animated in that style.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:33 am Reply with quote
Interesting. I guess in the wake of Scott Pilgrim, the big wigs at Marvel and DC might be scratching their heads a bit, and will now doubt want to emulate such success.

Thing is that their persistence to resell old characters in new clothing, is why they by and large can't appeal where manga can. I'm happy for Bryan O Malley, because his work is born from pure heart and ideas, not trying to keep pushing old stuff.

I'm sure some kids might be suckered into buying old shoes painted as new, but I'm older and older wiser. While I can also enjoy some american comics besides manga, they have to bring something fresh and unique to the table.

On a more positive note, Ben C has got the format and B+W art. because american comics focus so much on art these days, they rarely release books in B+W. If Marvel and DC ever hope to capture any of that wanted audience, they need more B+W art books like this. Add a good original non super hero story, or one too entrenched in manga tropes, and they might have a hit.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Is this "Manga inspired" like how Scott Pilgrim and Avatar is "Manga Inspired" or is it "Manga inspired" like how near every other attempt at such is?
rockman nes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:20 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
It definitely looks WAY better than the Marvel Mangaverse which missed the point and just made everyone really bad manga stereotypes.

Please never mention that trainwreck ever again on these forums.

spoiler[I f*cking HATE Ben Dunn... Evil or Very Mad]
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
rockman nes wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
It definitely looks WAY better than the Marvel Mangaverse which missed the point and just made everyone really bad manga stereotypes.

Madhouse would like to have a with you about how they design about Wolverine. Should we hate Madhouse also? Also, did you forget Ben Dunn could've inspired Trinity Blood, Chrono Crusade, and Hellsing. There's a reason why I'm glad he exist. As a matter of fact, WNA almost became the first OEL manga to became a anime.
Frazmataz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:10 pm Reply with quote
rockman nes wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

Ugh, yeah.

However, they did do something called 'New Mangaverse: The Rings of Fate'. The artwork is vastly improved, and the story is actually ok.

mdo7 wrote:
Also, did you forget Ben Dunn could've inspired Trinity Blood, Chrono Crusade, and Hellsing. There's a reason why I'm glad he exist. As a matter of fact, WNA almost became the first OEL manga to became a anime.

Be that as it may, it doesn't change the fact that Dunn's art is excrutiatingly bad.

As for this Wonder Woman pitch, this is no more 'manga'-ish than your average slightly-more-cartoony-looking western comic.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
rockman nes wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

Oh trust me, I didn't enjoy saying it anymore than you enjoyed reading it. Just reading a plot synopsis made me convulse. It was obvious that NO ONE on that team had any clue about the nuances of the medium. The best thing to do would have a manga-ka write about a superhero in their own style, though that would probably never, ever happen -thinks about Masamune Shirow writing Batman and subsequently starts drooling-
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:34 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
rockman nes wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

Oh trust me, I didn't enjoy saying it anymore than you enjoyed reading it. Just reading a plot synopsis made me convulse. It was obvious that NO ONE on that team had any clue about the nuances of the medium. The best thing to do would have a manga-ka write about a superhero in their own style, though that would probably never, ever happen -thinks about Masamune Shirow writing Batman and subsequently starts drooling-

I don't know if having Masamune Shirow doing Batman is a great idea, I would want Shirow to maybe adapt one of William Gibson's Sci-fi work into a manga. Well I know one manga-ka that could do a decent Batman manga (not talking about Kia Asimiya, Katsuhiro Otomo), Masakazu Katsura. Katsura is a big Batman fan and seeing his drawing I think he can do a good job with Batman. I know some other manga artists that could maybe do DC and Marvel Superheroes comic like:

Akira Toriyama doing Superman (What?? Son Goku's and Superman's origin was not a coincidence)

Yasuhiro Nightow doing a Venom or Spawn manga (if you watch Trigun, you'll probably noticed that Monev is Venom backward. Nightow acknowledged that he's a big fan of Todd Mcfarlane's work).

That's all I can think of.

Frazmataz wrote:
Be that as it may, it doesn't change the fact that Dunn's art is excrutiatingly bad.

As for this Wonder Woman pitch, this is no more 'manga'-ish than your average slightly-more-cartoony-looking western comic.

Actually, I think you may want to look at this, it's called Roots of Japanese anime. I want to note that pre-Tezuka anime have took animation styles from Max Flesicher and other American toons from the 20's and early 30's. I even recalled Tezuka used Disney as a influence for doing his manga. I don't see anything wrong with Westerner drawing manga, if people don't like it then according to this same logic, we should not allow Japan to turn western thing into anime like Halo, Batman, and other Japan-US anime co-production. Also we should not allow Japan to draw toons that look "cartoony" (as in western cartoon).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2