• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mitsudomoe's 7th BD/DVD to Include Unaired Episode

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Seven DVDs and they're up to episode 13...

US anime boxset 13-26 episodes for $20-$50...

Why do I still see people whining about modern anime DVD prices? Not even comparing it to Japan, you can just look at the industry 5 years ago. A boxset would come out MONTHS after the last DVD, and you'd have a 26 episode series is 5-6 $20 DVDs and a 13 ep series in 3-4 $20 DVDs. Now boxsets are often times the ONLY release for a series and they're half the price (or less) of boxsets 5 years ago. What the hell?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I'll be on this like flies on Mc'Donnalds leftovers.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Oh hell yes!

Unholy_Nny wrote:

Why do I still see people whining about modern anime DVD prices? Not even comparing it to Japan, you can just look at the industry 5 years ago. A boxset would come out MONTHS after the last DVD, and you'd have a 26 episode series is 5-6 $20 DVDs and a 13 ep series in 3-4 $20 DVDs. Now boxsets are often times the ONLY release for a series and they're half the price (or less) of boxsets 5 years ago. What the hell?

Most of those people whining do not actually look at those kinds of figures from the past nor do they realize the Japanese would probably kill for some of our prices.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I hope CrunchyRoll ends up streaming it. Although considering how they (mis)handled the Soranowoto home video episodes, I wouldn't bet on it. I guess I'll have to wait for the (highly unlikely) R1 DVD licensing to watch this bonus episode.

Unholy_Nny wrote:

Why do I still see people whining about modern anime DVD prices?

Because they're leeches who wouldn't pay for anime no matter how low the price was, basically.
bored-otaku

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:36 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
I hope CrunchyRoll ends up streaming it. Although considering how they (mis)handled the Soranowoto home video episodes, I wouldn't bet on it. I guess I'll have to wait for the (highly unlikely) R1 DVD licensing to watch this bonus episode.

I'm not sure as to the validity of this, but I heard Aniplex is gonna start releasing their own stuff here in the states via Aniplex USA. If that's the case then consider the chances for Mitsudomoe getting released here in the US highly probable.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote
bored-otaku wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:

I'm not sure as to the validity of this, but I heard Aniplex is gonna start releasing their own stuff here in the states via Aniplex USA. If that's the case then consider the chances for Mitsudomoe getting released here in the US highly probable.

As much as I want to see Mitsudomoe released by Aniplex of America, Mitsudomoe is probably way low on their list of priorities. They include it in their usual panel demo reel, but it's not one of the shows they've been described as "actively" pushing like Katanagatari, Garden of Sinners, and Welcome to the Space Show (the two latter of which already have registered domain names).

So far all of Aniplex of America's releases have been mainstream male-character-dominated action shows (Gurren Lagann movies and Durarara), not any of their massive otaku moe hits like Angel Beats!, Working!!, Nanoha the MOVIE 1st, or Hidamari Sketch x Hoshimitsu.
bored-otaku

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
bored-otaku wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:

As much as I want to see Mitsudomoe released by Aniplex of America, Mitsudomoe is probably way low on their list of priorities. They include it in their usual panel demo reel, but it's not one of the shows they've been described as "actively" pushing like Katanagatari, Garden of Sinners, and Welcome to the Space Show (the two latter of which already have registered domain names).

So far all of Aniplex of America's releases have been mainstream male-character-dominated action shows (Gurren Lagann movies and Durarara), not any of their massive otaku moe hits like Angel Beats!, Working!!, Nanoha the MOVIE 1st, or Hidamari Sketch x Hoshimitsu.

Well Aniplex USA just started operating in the US, so we can't say for sure whether or not they're gonna be bringing more of their anime over here. What I meant was more of a hypothetical situation. Since Aniplex owns Mistudomoe and other titles like Angel Beats and Working!!, it stands to reason that if the rumor I heard is true then we can expect that the US licenses would be all but guaranteed. Besides Mitsudomoe has been very well received ever since Crunchyroll started streaming it so it probably won't be too long before it's licensed.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:29 pm Reply with quote
My point is: Aniplex has 119 different anime . Not all of them are going to get licensed, especially at Aniplex's current rate of about 5 titles per year (like they said in the interview on ANN).

bored-otaku wrote:
...Since Aniplex owns Mistudomoe and other titles like Angel Beats and Working!!, it stands to reason that if the rumor I heard is true then we can expect that the US licenses would be all but guaranteed...

I wouldn't quite call "Aniplex is gonna start releasing their own stuff here in the states via Aniplex USA" a "rumor" per se...they've released press releases, had an ANN interview, have a website (http://www.aniplexusa.com/), are already releasing things, and so on.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Cool this show is funny but waiting all that time for one more ep.
bored-otaku

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
My point is: Aniplex has 119 different anime . Not all of them are going to get licensed, especially at Aniplex's current rate of about 5 titles per year (like they said in the interview on ANN).

bored-otaku wrote:
...Since Aniplex owns Mistudomoe and other titles like Angel Beats and Working!!, it stands to reason that if the rumor I heard is true then we can expect that the US licenses would be all but guaranteed...

I wouldn't quite call "Aniplex is gonna start releasing their own stuff here in the states via Aniplex USA" a "rumor" per se...they've released press releases, had an ANN interview, have a website (http://www.aniplexusa.com/), are already releasing things, and so on.

Of course, of course. There's be no way a new company could license all that (even a company like Funimation would have a difficult time with that). But what I'm trying to say is that since these titles are owned by Aniplex, there's a much higher chance of them getting licensed than if we were to wait for another company to license it. As far as the rumor thing though.... I don't think I used a good choice of words for that. More or less I meant to say that it's something I've heard and not confirmed. I was aware that Aniplex announced that they had a website and were releasing some anime (Durarara, Read or Die (though a re-release), and possibly Darker than Black season 2 (though I think Funimation said they got it so I don't know about that one)). What I had heard was that they were gonna start releasing their stuff here in the states (I for some reason interpreted this as saying that they're only gonna be releasing titles the company owns in Japan).
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Cool beans, that comes out the day after my birthday. It'd be nice is stuff like this and Working came out on BD in the US, but I'm not holding my breath for it. I think Haruhi flopping was a nail in the coffin for school girls that isn't super fan service or mixed with violence coming out in the US.
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:05 pm Reply with quote
That's great! I love this show. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1