• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - The League of Extraordinary Supernerds

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Attention this is not the "argue with PetrifiedJello about the same crap he argues about in every single thread remotely related to piracy" thread. This will be enforced. Carry on.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Thank you.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:55 pm Reply with quote
EDIT: Zac ended the "Crazy argument w/ PetrifiedJellow" thing before I could. And thank god for that.

To start another line of conversation tho, I'm curious... If you (anybody here) were to psychoanalyze yourself and your relationship with the anime content itself, what about it exactly causes the positive response? What aspect of its fantasy fits into your life, or fills a need for you? Why do you respond to it more than other art forms?

Last edited by jsevakis on Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:08 pm Reply with quote
PenguinTruth already said it but basically it's merely entertainment. If a series has a theme than that's fine but a purely thematic show such as Paranoia Agent really doesn't do it for me. I still call it a great show, but it's entertainment value is not enough for me to buy it.

Theirs a reason Mic Sounders is my avatar.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:33 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
If you were to psychoanalyze yourself and your relationship with the anime content itself, what about it exactly causes the positive response?

The cause for me is generally a compilation of the simplistic representation of an uncommon situation and the performances of characters whose designs are appealing.

Quote:
What aspect of its fantasy fits into your life, or fills a need for you?

The need fulfills an escape from the realities of life in the real world and I'm sure many can relate to this. Generally, the series I'm about to watch will be determined based on the kind of day I'm having.

For example, right now I'm watching Negima! simply because of the fun atmosphere the show presents. I can never tire of the first meeting of Negi and Asuna. The line "The last bear you'll ever see." makes me chuckle every time.

I'm thinking a little Azumanga Daioh is needed after this series. It's been a while since I've laughed at Osaka's view of the world around her.
FaytLein

Hrm...my emotional fuffillment from anime? I mostly watch anime as escapism/entertainment. I used to read and watch TV a LOT when I was younger, mostly mythological stories and cartoons/cop dramas. I spent a lot of time growing up secluded from kids my age so TV and books were a lot of my childhood entertainment, and anime and the internet became my new pastimes.

And I have a pretty severe case of either OCD or packratitis, in that once I find a new hobby/interest I kind of go overboard with it. I probably have a much bigger collection than I should (especially according to my parents) but I really enjoy anime simply as entertainment, even if I only see things once or twice.
Paploo

jsevakis wrote:
Why do you respond to it more than other art forms?

I'd say it's from watching Disney documentaries as a kid, and becoming fascinated with how things are made. I love drawing, and finding out how cartoons were made really enthralled me, so to me, animated films are more compelling, knowing how labour intensive it is. Even the most horrible show out there, like say, Glass Fleet, is the work of dozens of artists toiling away at animation desks and computer cozies till all hours of the morning to bring us our shiny cartoons. There's something amazing and just a little mad about it all.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:43 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
EDIT: Zac ended the "Crazy argument w/ PetrifiedJellow" thing before I could. And thank god for that.

To start another line of conversation tho, I'm curious... If you (anybody here) were to psychoanalyze yourself and your relationship with the anime content itself, what about it exactly causes the positive response? What aspect of its fantasy fits into your life, or fills a need for you? Why do you respond to it more than other art forms?

For anime series, similar to the reason that as a teenager I could buy or borrow a SF novel and sit down to read it and basically read it through to the end in one or two sittings. Any movie that works is basically a short story, and while short stories are fine, there is more satisfaction in getting immersed in a world or a group of characters.

And watching the ongoing series like Babylon 5 that have an actual plotline rather than being a "Golden Girls" set-up and one situation after another ... they take forever to fracking finish, or as in the case of Farscape to not finish until the follow-up movie is made.

And on the flipside, and especially for following the simulcasts, finding time to sit down and watch through a 24 minute anime episode is easy ... sometimes there's time to watch a 50 minute eg, Farscape / BSG episode, or a 1.5 or 2 hour movie, and sometimes there's not. Despite the vicious hat3r-ing of Legends^2 Evil or Very Mad I couldn't say for sure that I'd still be following it if it was 50 minutes a week.
starvtwalker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:01 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
EDIT To start another line of conversation tho, I'm curious... If you (anybody here) were to psychoanalyze yourself and your relationship with the anime content itself, what about it exactly causes the positive response? What aspect of its fantasy fits into your life, or fills a need for you? Why do you respond to it more than other art forms?

I don't respond to it more than other forms, but neither do I respond to it less than other forms. I just look for good entertainment. Entertainment is not really the right word either; I am looking for good stories, in whatever shape they take. Anime just happens to be one of these forms.

Although it is fiction, I find fiction is a lot better at portraying different aspects of real life than real life is (when done well). The reason reality shows suck is because they are filled with fake emotions. No one wants to be on camera when they are truly depressed or truly angry or truly heartbroken; reality tv only shows caricatures of this. Many times we even hide our true feelings in front of other people when there is no camera. Fiction can show those moments, and those moments are what I find fascinating. Even if the story is set billions of years in the future or with ridiculous monsters or something, as long as the character representations are realistic, then it usually manages to tell a good story and I am interested in experiencing those characters's moments.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

Well. I started out as a book nerd, my favorites being Sci-fi, Fantasy, Horror and Mysteries. I also am fascinated with the art that goes into animation. A friend who works at "this company that rhymes with Blixar", and with who I shared an interest in trippy Felix the Cat cartoons, turned me on to anime.

First thing I noticed was the subject matter was so similar in content to what I love to read. The art was great. Instant addiction!

(BTW, anyone who loves GiTS should really be reading the Takeshi Kovacs series by Richard K. Morgan) Wink
Almaz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:56 pm Reply with quote
No one mentioned this before. The PC gaming market is as bad or worse that the anime market. Most games are made on the consoles since they make it difficult to copy and play the game. Sims 3 was shared like gang busters to name one of the many games. Sales were horrible. Steam (online video game service) was one of the ideas the PC gaming industry came up with. It allows digital downloads and online validation. You only have to be on the Internet once to activate, and you can transfer the license from computer to computer. Something the anime industry is needing. DRM that works for the consumer, not against.

I do find some people asinine in the fact: black and white is great while they still do gray. To matter how clean you claim to be, I assure you that you are (in ways you are not aware) violating someone's property. Period. It cannot be helped in this environment. If you do not understand this, I feel for you. "Hard to find", "out of print," and even ripping (in some cases) will put you on the dark side.

I am not going to have an aneurysm that people are doing this or that. Absolute chaos is not good nor is absolute law. People should support the industry the best they can.

I find it amusing for adults to get their panties in a bunch over Zak's and Justin's statement about children not falling the rules of society. They are kids. Having a tiff over it is silly. They do have to learn but not in the way some people are suggesting. I did not know people came out a womb with infinite wisdom and knowledge. I must be getting old. Gee science is great!

As of how I am taking the comments, it has been assumed by some that many are furious. Sorry to disappoint some people. I find the issue amusing and sad. I have to face palm myself every few comments with a desk palm after a page. Don't worry about the blood. It is a common side effect.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

I don't know that I respond to it more favorably than other forms of entertainment -I enjoy movies, books, music, video games just as much, but for different reasons.

To me, anime/animation is, or represents, boundless and unlimited potential for storytelling, whose only constraints are the limits of imagination and the talent to bring such ideas to life (ignoring money and finances).

Any story you wish to tell you can, from the fantastical to the absurd, the surreal, or the realistic. Any actor, actress, animal, machine, god, spirit, creature, etc. you want (or can think up) you can have. Any special effect; any time or place; any situation; anime can deliver all these things in a visually appealing package, and do so in a manner that is MUCH more cost effective than if you attempted to do so in real life.

Imagine trying to make the movie Akira, or one of Studio Ghibli's classics, in real life (not animated), for the same money. I couldn't be done.
Zade

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Honestly with this problem involving the gaming and movie industry too I'm surprised they don't just close the analog loop-hole piracy needs to survive. Create a device that reads retinas (already done) and join it with a monitor+headset and then transmit your mediums only through those devices. Encode specific streams for each device so if anyone DOES break the loophole then you can immediate fine and disconnect that specific device pending research into the incident.

The financial incentives and technologies are there so I'm surprised no one hasn't done it yet...
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Which ANN host was it...one about educating fans about creative process behind Anime... Anyway, making animation is difficult and time consuming process. I've done it before and the process is not funny. If you want carpal tunnel syndrome, arthritis, and blurred vision in the future, please go ahead. Oh another illness, ulcer.

I'm glad that Animazement Convention is trying have a Japanese guest trying to shows fans how anime is made.

Speaking of Shinichirou Watanabe, he is not actively involved with normal Anime projects. Come on, the latest work he has done was "Genius Party: Baby Blue". I'm sure everyone knows that his real desire is to make live action film of his own and actively involved with music production.

For beginners, Anipage Daily's forum page is a good way to start.
www.pelleas.net/forum

Also, NHK's BS Anime Yawa is pretty entertaining show on behind-the-scene of major anime titles. Unfortunately, there is no subtitle for it. It's very educational and entertaining.

For hardcore fans,
There isn't much in-depth information about Japanese creators in English. Here are some useful Japanese books about them and creative process.

1. Creating characters taught by top (anime) creators (トップクリエイターが教えるキャラクター創り方) ISBN 978-2-901972-94-9

It's a book about how Manglobe produced "Samurai Champloo" and "Ergo Proxy". It shows how they pitched their ideas to clients with plenty of artworks and story concepts. It also covers must- have technical skills to be in the industry.

2. I want to hear this person's story (この人に話を聞きたい アニメプロフェッショナルの仕事 1998-2001 (ANIMESTYLE ARCHIVE)

It's a collected interviews of major Anime creators who are not Miyazaki, Tomino, and Oshii. Each interview is long enough (10,000 Japanese words) to cover their backgrounds, industry entry, personal preference, and etc.

Right now, I'm trying to get hold of anime/manga fan oriented publishers to license this book. There is "Notenki Memoir" which covers Gainax and "Starting Point" is all about Miyazaki's interviews. So it wouldn't hurt to try.

Last edited by reanimator on Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Almaz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Zade wrote:
Honestly with this problem involving the gaming and movie industry too I'm surprised they don't just close the analog loop-hole piracy needs to survive. Create a device that reads retinas (already done) and join it with a monitor+headset and then transmit your mediums only through those devices. Encode specific streams for each device so if anyone DOES break the loophole then you can immediate fine and disconnect that specific device pending research into the incident.

The financial incentives and technologies are there so I'm surprised no one hasn't done it yet...

Yeah....... Being on the computer side, I know, for a fact, that the analog hole is trying to be closed. Don't fret. When everyone gets moved to the digital side... What the #$#% happened? Please do not give any more ideas to the monkeys. I will move to a place far far away and enjoy my old collection. It is the reason I am buying much of what I enjoy. I will tell the world to stick it and go watch what I have already. Cool

reanimator wrote:
Which ANN host was it...one about educating fans about creative process behind Anime... Anyway, making animation is difficult and time consuming process.

It would be nice if it would worked. We are such an entitlement society now. Actually having the people do the work would be entertaining. Twisted Evil

Last edited by Almaz on Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9