• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - The League of Extraordinary Supernerds

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fellistowe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:15 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
To start another line of conversation tho, I'm curious... If you (anybody here) were to psychoanalyze yourself and your relationship with the anime content itself, what about it exactly causes the positive response? What aspect of its fantasy fits into your life, or fills a need for you? Why do you respond to it more than other art forms?

hmm... initially for me when I started out as a collector who didn't know the internet or anyone else who collected anime, it was something I'd seen occasionally on TV as I was growing up and something about the style of storytelling appealed to me way more than western media. At the time I started seriously collecting (2005ish) I was pretty disenchanted with Hollywood cinema and the 2000th incarnation of generic American TV show with their cornball comedy and western morality forced down my throat (no offence). Anime instead offered me stories and entertainment that struck right to the heart of me. They made me think, they made me feel, and they made me laugh; at a time when little else was.
As time progressed I found my local anime societies, then the internet (and sites like this), and then conventions (urg...).
Now what binds me to anime is not so much the stories anymore (because kami help me they've gone downhill something chronic nowadays) but the friends and community I've found in the fandom. Yes, it's an exasperating fandom, but it's still one I like to call home no matter how oddball and dysfunctional...
Zade

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:27 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Don't see why the retina scanning is necessary.

It would be so you know someone is actually LOOKING at the screen, instead of, you know, holding a camera up to it. With them you could also probably track where your eyes are looking and replace the mouse.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:12 am Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
Wow! I spent $55 on this because i was so excited for Fist of the north star to come out. If I would have known it would have dropped in price so dramatically I would have easily waited a few weeks. Usually it takes a while for such a huge discount like this. I guess its not doing great. :/

What Daryl neglected to say that $36 is the price it goes on sale at at places like Rigth Stuf, like when they had the recent "everything sale" or when it's part of the Weekly Specials, like it is right now.

I mean, come on... The set just came out not even a month ago! No one lowers the permanent price on something that fast. You want the best proof, then look at Discotek's store, which is selling the set at $49.99 right now. Let's not get way ahead of ourselves already.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
This will be enforced.

Now that I've had some sleep, it's time to reply to this.

Zac, I find your position bias, ignorant, and insulting. I am completely baffled why it's okay for you to insult users as leeches who visit this site.

Your bias makes you so blind, you can not see these people are supporting anime simply by visiting this site. I sure hope the next time you call them leeches, they tell you to cram it because you called them out.

Rest assured, I wish I could carry the same feeling over your spending after what many of us have done to build anime through the years as to grant you gainful employment, but I can't. My goal has always been to spread anime through purchases. I buy. They don't. This is my choice to make, something you kids seem to forget. I don't expect you to understand it.

I've come to an understanding (yet disagreement) of your position, but you absolutely will not listen to anyone else regarding this manner unless it meets the ideology you posses.

The ignorance is something I can deal with and I don't fault you for having it. People are making statements which seem to have no foundation other than a questionable reliance to a system others (used to) disagree with.

It may seem like it's a tired argument, but that's because there's been so much news on it. This, by the way, is no different than:
-Listening to the other side in the past 3-4 ANNCasts
-Reading about it in the past 3-4 Answerman columns.

You could have warned me to shut the hell up, publicly if necessary, instead of taking it out on other users. You have crossed a line I find disrespectful, hence being insulted.

I don't dislike you, Zac. You're a passionate person regarding anime. Many of us are. But I do believe you owe the users of this forum an apology for the threat.

In return, and as an apology from me, no one will read another reply on the piracy matter from me ever again.

You may now enforce as you see fit.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote
@&^E%&^$%

is it too late to chime in on Pirating? I'm not directly continuing a previous thread.

dang

Seriously, I wrote something, posted it and removed it once I realized it might be too late.

Last edited by Cheesecracker on Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I'll be the first to admit I know very little regarding the production of anime, but it seems to me that the Japanese model is very convoluted, with too many fingers in the pie.

I'd be interested to know how the Japanese model would compare to a Western/American entertainment production model and whether that (the latter) would affect/pay the original artists and creators more for their work.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I actually enjoy reading piracy debates, because they are themselves a wonder. It's like a battle between two mortal enemies. The problem is, both fighters are immortal, and can regenerate, so the battle is endless. Both will continue to fight and neither will ever back down.

As for me, you all should know which side I'm on, and will continue to be for ever end ever.

Honestly, in WOULD be nice if the podcast would give piracy a few weeks break, cause everyone is repeating the same thing over and over. There's really nothing left to say that hasn't been said. Zac used to pirate, and still does some times, and he buys all his favorite shows. We know that, we don't have to be reminded each time.

Peace out.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:08 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I actually enjoy reading piracy debates, because they are themselves a wonder. It's like a battle between two mortal enemies. The problem is, both fighters are immortal, and can regenerate, so the battle is endless. Both will continue to fight and neither will ever back down.

You're a fan of the Israeli/Palestine conflict too? To be honest, I find the whole piracy/anti-piracy debate rather tiring, even though (or maybe especially because) I'm so firmly entrenched in the latter side.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I do think there's been a great decrease in the VALUE of intellectual property lately, mainly due to the Internet providing access to an great abundance of material. Why pay even 99 cents for a song when you can get thousands upon thousands of songs for free?

And as was mentioned in the podcast, there's not only access to current material but a whole history of material as well as new material created by amateurs who would never have been able to provide that material to the general public before.

Of course when it comes to anime, Japan does have to take blame for two major decisions. One was the mistake of thinking people would buy TV series just like they did OAVs. That was true in the beginning but then things dropped off. The other was the sheer abundance of material being produced. There's been a lifetime's worth of anime produced in just the last ten years.

People often have a certain total budget when it comes to collecting, although they don't often realize it. Whether it be music, movies or anime, once the person reaches a certain level, such as a few hundred items in the collection, they often tend to cut back.

There's less desire to just get everything and more concern for just getting those things which they really want. They don't want to buy something new because they're already got things which they have yet to watch and other things which they paid good money for so feel the need to watch again.

There are also those who just don't buy TV series. They'll buy movies and OAVs but they aren't interested in the TV series aside from the initial viewing. This is because they like to get things which they expect to watch a second time. Something that's meant to be watched (or used) once is thought to be disposable. So TV shows develop the stigma of being disposable product.

There is one difference when it comes to manga and comic books as opposed to TV shows. Manga and comics have always been sold to the public. For the most part, the public has never had a way to get these legally for free. But when it comes to TV shows there's been a long standing concept of "free TV," at least in North America, and as such business models have developed for TV that still allow TV artists to make money. And TV shows generally don't get pirated until after they air on TV. Yet since manga and comic artists have always been sales dependent, when someone tries to bootleg that material the artists feel the impact much more directly.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:00 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Honestly, in WOULD be nice if the podcast would give piracy a few weeks break, cause everyone is repeating the same thing over and over. There's really nothing left to say that hasn't been said. Zac used to pirate, and still does some times, and he buys all his favorite shows. We know that, we don't have to be reminded each time.

Peace out.

I think it's that Piracy is such a huge problem, it is a regular factor in anime, comics and manga news every single week. It's a topic of conversation, but also a party in major pieces of news that pop up each month. It's unavoidable, a big juicy cancer on both the industry and fandom that people desperately want to overlook but has started oozing it's puss over everything.

Some have the cognitive dissoncance of desperately wanting to overlook things or pretty much telling creators off rather then looking harshly at their own actions, and don't want to be confronted with these realities.

As such, you'll see artists, producers and industry people, along with more moral fans, getting worked up about it regularly, because it's not really going away.

I imagine ANNCast will continue to cover other stuff [the interview with 4Kids was fun], but whenever an appropriate time pops up, they'll probably cover it, because it's worth talking about.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

You may now enforce as you see fit.

So I owe everyone else an apology for telling you to knock it off. Gee, do I have your permission to ban you?

I didn't say people can't continue to talk about piracy. I said this wasn't the "let's all talk about PetrifiedJello's stupid ideas" thread, which would make it "let's all talk about PetrifiedJello's stupid ideas" thread #47462.

You need to take a couple of weeks off.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
You're a fan of the Israeli/Palestine conflict too? To be honest, I find the whole piracy/anti-piracy debate rather tiring, even though (or maybe especially because) I'm so firmly entrenched in the latter side.

Hey man, don't be a jerk. People actually DIE over there.

BTW, I'm not complaining about the podcast at all. I love it. And I really do like the piracy talk, I do. It's just that I don't think anything more can be said right now. And I'm not blaming Zac or Justin for that, it's just that neither side will budge. You'd have more luck converting Star Trek fans to The Next Generation.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:29 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

However, it is at a minimum a three-cornered argument, and probably more, so there are the added side-arguments when someone tries to pigeonhole everyone who disagrees with them as being all in one opposing tribe.

There are those who pirate and consume the product of the piracy who want to continue to pirate and consuming the products of the piracy. "Piracy defenders"

There are those who argue that piracy is a moral wrong, and should be eliminated wherever practicable. "Piracy moralists"

There are those who argue that piracy is threatening the viability of the industry and we need to find a way to pull out the biggest weeds to make room for an actual market. "Piracy pragmatists"

And there may be a kind of piracy is a moral right group ~ the "information wants to be free" internet anarchy line ~ though its hard for me to tell them apart from bootleg consumers making excuses to keep doing what they have been doing, so I don't know if its a group or a favored line of argument.

Its seems like piracy defenders focus more effort attacking the piracy moralists, and characterizing people who disagree with them as piracy moralists, and don't focus so much on the piracy pragmatists, for a range of reasons.

One reason is that in the social networks that are organized around bootlegging, its common for everyone to agree that bootlegging is either benign or beneficial ... and on the other hand, when its a values argument its easier to just shout contrary values at each other, while when the argument is about how things things are working in the world, there are things like cause and effect arguments and supporting evidence and any given argument runs the risk of being proven actually wrong.
Ryand-Smith

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:20 pm Reply with quote
[quote="ZakuAce"]
jsevakis wrote:
EDIT: Zac ended the "Crazy argument w/ PetrifiedJellow" thing before I could. And thank god for that.

To start another line of conversation tho, I'm curious... If you (anybody here) were to psychoanalyze yourself and your relationship with the anime content itself, what about it exactly causes the positive response? What aspect of its fantasy fits into your life, or fills a need for you? Why do you respond to it more than other art forms?

I've always had somewhat stressful jobs, because I work best under pressure, but work hard, play hard, or in my case, play fantasy, since I watch either the random Sketch style "cute girls do things," or "Giant robots battle each other, talk about politics, then combine/shoot other robots."

Also, the dorm piracy, if you want to see that piracy, come down to any major ship, its terrible with people swapping everything because after a while, you run out of your own entertainment, and swapping becomes king.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I didn't say people can't continue to talk about piracy.

Thanks. I kinda thought that's what you meant. I didn't want to appear to be abusing a loophole.

Anywho, I actually did a 30 page comic for a job. It was a drag. At the time I was used to using lots of detail. Up til then I had always done single images. I realized that I couldn't sustain the pace using that approach. I cut back and back until I reached a do-able level. At that point I didn't recognize my own style and was pretty unhappy with the outcome.

Perhaps there'd be more sympathy if people would actually try the walking in the other person's shoes.

***Take the Piracy Schmiracy Challenge***

Pick your favorite short story and illustrate it.

1. in pencil
Layout 10 pages - 2-9 panels each - that's at least 20 to at most 90 separate drawings.

2. Submit it for review.

3. make changes

4. repeat steps 2and 3 until you get approval.

5. ink your art - you get to draw everything at least twice...at least

6. see step 4

Ready for color?

Now count how many pages are in your average manga volume. Multiply by how many vols are in your manga.

Bottom line- IT'S A LOT OF WORK. What hard work would you like to do for free?

Last edited by Cheesecracker on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9