• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Improved Spoiler Tags

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:13 am Reply with quote
I think this is the right place to post this topic.

I’m sure everyone has been blindsided by an unwanted spoiler once or twice on this forum. For example, “I loved the scene in episode two, it brought back the same thrill I felt when spoiler[ character X died in anime Y]” No warning or context to suggest that a major spoiler was about to be unleashed, just a unwanted piece of information that might ruin a major surprise in an anime you intended to watch.

So I was wondering, is there was any way to improve the spoiler tags? Perhaps there is a way to add a title on top of the black bar of a spoiler tag, such as “contains Anime Y spoiler”. I understand that spoiler tags mean "look at your own risk", but it would be a great addition to this site to be able to improve the spoiler tags so users know what the spoiler tag intends to spoil. I know the inclusion of such information before a spoiler tag should already be common knowledge for any user on this forum, but unfortunately, many users still continue to blindside us with unwanted information. Heck, I’d be happy just with an asterisk that pops up when you click on the spoiler tag button that says,” Please remember to include what series or episode you are spoiling outside of the spoiler tag”.

Thanks

GeminiDS85
Skylark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:19 am Reply with quote
This isn't usually a problem as people know and are requested to place the anime being spoiled outside of the spoiler tags. Whether such a feature is implemented would still rely upon the courtesy of the poster. I think rather than an amendment to the simple css highlight hover script, it should be made clear in the rules that if the series being spoiled isn't the one being discussed in the topic, than it should be made completely clear which series _is_ being spoiled outside the tag. It might already be in the rules, I didn't check. Your second idea, in this way of thinking, is better than the first I think. That said, a lot of people don't use the buttons up top but simply type the tag in literally, so that isn't exactly foolproof either.

Most people are pretty good about this though, I haven't ever run across this problem with anyone that hasn't done it on purpose to troll; and usually said posts get removed quickly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't want anything more intrusive than the current system, like having to click to read and/or spoilers having to be in a separate block rather than inline (although perhaps an optional collapsible block for large blocks of spoiler text wouldn't be a bad thing alongside inline spoilers)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1