• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Perfect Blue/Paprika Director Satoshi Kon Passes Away

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote
I'm in a state of shock.

Paprika is one of my favorite movies.

A tremendous loss. That's all I can really think of to say right now.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:58 am Reply with quote
Susumu Hirasawa just confirmed a site update on his Twitter and said he was at the funeral. But it's being overwhelmed by traffic, which makes it hard to load. I think he claims they tried to keep the story low-key out of respect for the mourning period. Crying or Very sad
lem

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:12 am Reply with quote
I love Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika, Paranoia Agent, Perfect Blue. As for other works that he was connected with in some degree or manner, they are also on my shelf - Magnetic Rose, Roujin Z, Jo-Jo's Bizarre Adventure, and even one of the Patlabor movies - I'm crying now, so I can't recall which one it is at the moment, but anyway...

Thank you Satoshi Kon for all of the quality viewing time you afforded me. May you rest in peace good sir, I already miss what you offered to the world of anime - Something imaginative, something that dared to be different from the rest..., that "something" that I am always looking for!

God knows I was so looking forward to your next project "Yume Miru Kikai". damn, 2011 feels like a million years away now. Sad
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:17 am Reply with quote
It's been hours since I first saw my friend's plurk about this and I still can't wrap my head around it. I haven't cried, I just feel numb, like it still doesn't seem real. Paranoia Agent is one of my favorite series, and I never saw a film of his that I thought didn't show a real talent. Just yesterday I was talking to a friend of mine about Paprika. Lately I've been really looking forward to his latest film. I felt like he still had a ton of new ideas left to give to us.

The fact that his upcoming film is probably his last? I don't know if anything could be sadder. I can only echo the sentiments in this topic--I don't know if there was anyone else in the industry that had the vision he did. It's hard to know where the industry will go from here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:36 am Reply with quote
Here's Madhouse's statement:

(in the news section)

http://www.madhouse.co.jp/

If I'm to trust babble fish, it apparently WAS cancer.
daedelus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
I can't find the words.

Rest in Peace Satoshi Kon. Thank you for all of your magnificent contributions.

I can't seem to stop the water works. Damn cancer.
Mikuru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:53 am Reply with quote
What can I say that hasn't already been said...this is tragic. A talented man who passed away too soon. I hope this somehow reaches the people who love him so they can read about how much he was loved all around the world. Thank you, Satoshi Kon for help making Perfect Blue, Paranoia Agent, Millennium Actress, Magnetic Rose and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Especially Perfect Blue and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure...so many good memories of watching those with friends.
DTJB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:00 am Reply with quote
Still in shock about this. Dude was one of my all time favorites. It's unfortunate that THIS was the reason I decided to bump Paprika to the top of my Netflix list.
Sweetmusic_01

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:30 am Reply with quote
You can feel the sadness in the anime community. He will be sorely missed. Thoughts and prayers are sent out to his family and friends.

I'm sure that Madhouse will finish The Dreaming Machine and dedicate it to his memory.

R.I.P. Satoshi Kon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Innotech

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:32 am Reply with quote
I am devastated. I dont really know what to say. This director was my favorite anime director by a long long shot. I was so excited to see MIllenium actress and Paprika when they came out, even above Miyazaki films. Im really at a loss for words on this. I mean he had the most aweesomely twisted and purposefully confusing way of telling stories in a way you didn't expect. He was like M Night Shyamalan if he had actual vision and talent. He wasnt pretentious or preachy. He just took you on a ride through dream worlds and sometimes it took you a while to realize it. I haven't really seen another director who compares to him.
I dont really know what else to say. This makes me numb inside.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:34 am Reply with quote
I don't know what to say. He was anime's brightest star.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fellistowe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:44 am Reply with quote
My condolences to his family and closest & dearest; he will be dearly missed.
May the Kami watch over him, and he continue to watch over those he guided and cared for.

If anything good is to come from his death, let it be a wake up call to the industry to nurture its talent; to bring forth a new generation of inspired creators each with their own spark and vision to rival his.
It's the most fitting tribute I think we could ever leave.
Raz_G

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:55 am Reply with quote
This is terrible news. I think "Millennium Actress" was the best animated - not just anime, animated, period - film of the past 10 years. And even though I was disappointed with "Paprika", there was no other anime I was waiting for like I was waiting for "Dream Machine". Even if it will get finished by someone else, I imagine that it's destined for endless "Kon would have made it differently" discussions.
I can't think of any other director that could possibly take Kon's place as "the future of anime". Makoto Shinkai shows some promise, but so far - in long-form works, at least - just hasn't gotten there yet.
kiddtic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:21 am Reply with quote
I read this in the morning but couldn't post anythning I was speechless.

I feel so frustrated that we wont see any more new anime from him, its almost a feeling thats close to anger.

My sincere condolences to his family and close friends, surely he died way too young.

I recently saw Perfect Blue because the name Satoshi Kon was visible on the cover. I have great respect for this man he was a pioneer and a visionary.
I hope this loss spurs the fire in upcoming directors, writers and contributors to the anime industry to work harder and extend the boundaries that great men like Kon Sama have created.

R.I.P
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cadmium

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:15 am Reply with quote
I'm so sad to hear this news. My condolances to his family and friends.

Satoshi Kon was a true animation genius because he used the possibilities of animation to tell stories in a way that live action could never do.

This is a great loss for the art of film.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 19