• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Perfect Blue/Paprika Director Satoshi Kon Passes Away

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
remiell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:06 am Reply with quote
OMG! How sad! Sad

RIP
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:28 am Reply with quote
I'm speechless, I didn't expected something like this at all, he was still so young! I'm really, really sad, for his family and friends but also for what the animation world will be missing.

Truly a great director, what a shame. ;___;

Does someone know why he died? I don't remember him suffering of some health problems...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DClark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:47 am Reply with quote
It's a shame; he created some great movies. My condolences to his family.

Sariachan wrote:
Does someone know why he died? I don't remember him suffering of some health problems...

He died due to pancreatic cancer.
Evilomar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:17 am Reply with quote
I've been coming here for years and never bothered joining the forums. Just came here to read the news articles.

Finding out about Satoshi Kon's passing, I felt like I had to say something. I remember ordering a bootleg copy of Perfect Blue back in 98, because my friend swore up and down how good he heard it was supposed to be. I was on an anime hiatus at the time and I really didn't want to watch any more anime, I was burned out and wanted to take a break.

I remember popping the tape in and seeing Power Rangers pop up and looking at my friend asking him what the hell he made me buy. However, as all that have seen PB, it turned out to be something that will forever stay in my head.

His movies were movies I could show my friends that didn't watch anime. Each one touched me a different way. Millennium Actress was a beautiful movie that brought me to tears. Tokyo Godfathers had a beautiful message and Paprika was one of the most beautifully animated movies I have ever seen. What can I say about Paranoia Agent that hasn't already been said? Pure genius, with an opening song that is up there with the first season of Ranma for me.

RIP Satoshi Kon, you will be forever missed.
Shichimi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:50 am Reply with quote
A crying shame; my thoughts go out to his friends and family.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Perfect Blue, Millenium Actress, and Tokyo Godfathers were all masterpieces. The man could have continued creating for another twenty or thirty years... the loss to the medium is staggering. I don't think anyone else passing would have been such an enormous blow to the creativity of anime as a whole.

Obviously it is tragic for his family as well (I know from first hand experience) and I wish them well in what has to be a difficult time for them.

He will be sorely missed.
BMJ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Truly a shame. Pancreatic cancer is essentially symptomless right up until it's too late to do anything about it. I lost an uncle to the same thing, so I understand why there was so little warning.

Paranoia Agent is the only one of his works that I've had a chance to watch so far, and it blew me away. His other works have been in my queue for some time. I guess it's time I bump them up the priority list.
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Allow me to add my condolences to the saddened masses who are fans of Kon's work.

I drove 180 miles round-trip to a rinky-dink little movie house outside Pittsburgh to see Paprika, and I didn't regret it one bit. The way he used visuals to weave a story was fascinating.

I very much expected to write about Miyazaki's passing before Kon's. Pancreatic cancer is so feared because it's not only a death sentence, but once it's diagnosed, its victims usually can measure their remaining time in months, weeks or less. Patrick Swayze, Michael Landon, Luciano Pavarotti and Joan Crawford were just a few famous people who died of the disease, and I believe every one of them were gone less than a year after diagnosis.

I raise a glass in Kon's memory, and I await a new luminary to pick up the torch Kon left behind.
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Didn't even hear this news till tonight. Makes me sad. I wasn't a zealous fan of his work, but his anime had a surreal beauty somehow grounded in reality that the other 2 great ones (Miyazaki, Oshii) never approached. I'm gonna have a Kon marathon this weekend, because the best way to appreciate an artist is to appreciate their work.
Michael_Arnold

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
ATTENTION: This is a troll-free zone. Rules will be enforced with an iron fist.

Can you explain which of the rules you're referring to? This could be a great opportunity to talk about Kon's films in detail, in all their complexity, with all their strengths and weaknesses, but I have a feeling people will be afraid to share their opinions after you cast a dark shadow over the forum with a vague threat like this.

It is interesting to see how many people find Kon's movies glowing examples of the "genre" of anime. Animation isn't a genre. Some would argue that (Japanese) anime is, but does Kon's work contribute to that illusion? Or are Kon's movies trying to complicate the idea of anime as a "genre" separate from other types of animation or filmmaking? Kon's four feature films are full of references to film technology, international film history, and the cinematic experience, and are colored with citations from a rainbow of different film genres. With so many different ingredients I'm not sure the films are always palatable, but surely they're capable of inspiring serious thought and discussion.

I can't think of a better way to honor an interesting director's career . . . but maybe that kind of discussion isn't allowed at ANN?

Michael Arnold
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Michael_Arnold wrote:

Can you explain which of the rules you're referring to? This could be a great opportunity to talk about Kon's films in detail, in all their complexity, with all their strengths and weaknesses, but I have a feeling people will be afraid to share their opinions after you cast a dark shadow over the forum with a vague threat like this.

I can't think of a better way to honor an interesting director's career . . . but maybe that kind of discussion isn't allowed at ANN?

Michael Arnold

I was very obviously referring to the crowd that uses any excuse to grief or otherwise harass people expressing sadness and sincerity. Of course you can discuss his films; I'm not sure this is the thread for that (you may want to go to the anime forum and start a thread specifically for discussing his films in detail, which would be vastly more appropriate).

Also, that wasn't at all a "vague threat" and unless you are absurdly sensitive or misinterpreting things intentionally I'm not sure how you at all came to the conclusion that I was threatening people who wanted to discuss his films.
Michael_Arnold

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I was very obviously referring to . . .

It wasn't obvious. There was no context for your threat and you didn't explain what you were talking about. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:

(you may want to go to the anime forum . . .

OK. I don't see why discussions about Kon's work wouldn't be appropriate here, but I guess that sounds fair. Given the tone of your response and considering how "absurdly sensitive" I am (or more accurately, considering the staff's own disregard for ANN's Be Polite rule) I think I can find a less hostile forum for my comments. Still, I appreciate the response and I hope other people will share more of their ideas about Kon's colorful career without, ahem, harassing each other. Thanks again.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
A tragic loss and a hard pill to swallow - My condolences to his family, friends and co-workers.
triangle_man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:02 am Reply with quote
I'm sure Zac's warning was directed at the sort of idiots who like to say insulting $#@! in threads like this.

I'm also sad to see Mr. Kon go. I've managed to pick up all of his R1-released work, and I'm definitely happier for it.

Also, Paprika looks amazing in HD. I'd like to see more of his stuff on BD.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:03 am Reply with quote
triangle_man wrote:
I'm sure Zac's warning was directed at the sort of idiots who like to say insulting $#@! in threads like this.

I'm also sad to see Mr. Kon go. I've managed to pick up all of his R1-released work, and I'm definitely happier for it.

Also, Paprika looks amazing in HD. I'd like to see more of his stuff on BD.

I've really resisted moving to BlueRay, but despite a shaky financial scene Kon's films are getting me to rethink that decision again. Seeing his work in as much color and detail as he intended ... switching to BR may be inevitable for me at this point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 19