• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Perfect Blue/Paprika Director Satoshi Kon Passes Away

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:25 pm Reply with quote
so all we got left for great anime MOVIE directors are Makoto Shinkai, Mamoru Oshii, and Miyazaki..and Miyazaki is pretty old. I was hoping Satoshi Kon would've released a few more awesome works of art before he passed, he had probably the most unique visions of all my favorite directors. RIP
scottmn1985

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I own both Perfect Blue and Paprika, but I didn't think I'd see something like this on my 25th birthday, maybe my 35th, but not today, sleep peacefully, mr. Kon
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
<sigh> This man was my favorite director and is entirely responsible for re-igniting my interest in Anime in 1997 after I had been uninterested in the medium for about 6 years.

Had it not been for Perfect Blue, ANN would not be the website it is today. I'm not saying it wouldn't exist, but I certainly would not have become involved.

Satoshi Kon may have been a bit of a one-trick pony, but that trick (his particular style of blurring the lines between "reality" and imagination) is, IMHO the most innovative use of a plot device to have been introduced to anime in the past 2 decades.

Yes, I strongly believe that it makes for far more interesting story-telling than the non-linear story telling we've seen from a few other directors. Non-linear has been used to great effect in stories like Boogiepop and Haruhi, but Kon was simply on another level.

This bites.

At least we'll probably get one last post-humous piece of work from him. Yume-Miru Kikai will probably be finished given that he died from cancer it was unlikely a sudden death. Madhosue has probably known about his illness for quite a while and production would have taken this into account. Someone else, whom Kon probably selected himself, will probably finish it based on Kon's vision. (Edit: Assuming the rumors of this being caused by cancer are true. However the initial tweet from Muruyama did say it was a "sudden" death).

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I just recently saw Tokyo Godfathers. I feel sad now. May he R.I.P.
ParaParaKing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I thought and wanted to believe, this was a twitter hoax. Now I am very sad and will rewatch my favorite work from Kon: Paprika.
Sovay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, this is so sad. He was really such a talent and I've enjoyed all of his films as well as Paranoia Agent. RIP Satoshi, you were a real artist.
Jacut

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
One of the rare directors that made me love animation (and cinema as a whole) in today's industry. I don't realize what I am and will be missing at the moment. It's awful.

Rest in peace.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DarkCyradis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
OMG! What a horrible waste of talent. Satoshi Kon was a true anime luminary. "Tokyo Godfathers" is in my top 10 favorite movies of all time and makes me laugh out loud every time I watch it. What a horrible shame... RIP, Satoshi-sensei.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:30 pm Reply with quote
This really sucks. I almost didn't believe it when I first read it. Kon was one of my favorite people in the anime industry and has made some of my favorite movies ever. It's really sad. He probably had some incredible movies in his head and his best work was probably still to come. This is a really sad day for the anime industry and community.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
This is somewhat shocking. Though such sudden and disheartening news has yet to leave its full impact, might I express my sorrow over this untimely death, my sympathy to his friends and family, and my gratitude to the director himself for the efforts he has given us.

I absolutely concur. So well said.

I'm currently reading the book, Satoshi Kon: The Illusionist, by Andrew Osmond, which I highly recommend to any of his fans. Kon was my favorite anime director hands down. He consistently awed me, blew my mind, and kept me eagerly wanting the next expressions of his uncoiling, ever-growing genius.

All my sympathy to his family, friends, and the anime community of creators he fostered and encouraged.

What a shock. I can't even think clearly anymore.
_V_

Wow...just...wow.

My eyes are bugging out of my head.

I just don't know what to do now.

We relied on Satoshi Kon for intelligent, thought-provoking anime.

Without him, I fear that one of our greatest hopes for anime some day rising above this current slump of pandering moe stuff, has been lost.

This is impossible.
Shinmaru

Truly terrible, shocking news. Loved everything I saw from him; selfishly, I hope enough of his final movie is completed to allow for release. The man deserves one more great film to be remembered by.

RIP and condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Paprika is the only one of his works I've had the opportunity to buy to date, but that much was still enough for me to appreciate his obvious talent and lament his passing. My condolences to his friends and family and may he rest in peace.
Anime World Order

I wasn't present for it, but following the release of Paprika Satoshi Kon came to New York City, where a retrospective of his work was held. He closed by noting that he was too young to have a retrospective, and that perhaps they should invite him back after he's made a few more films.

Sadly, it appears that was to be his final retrospective after all. At 47 years old, Kon's death--"too young" is right--came at the same age as that of Studio Ghibli's Yoshifumi Kondo, the director of Whispers of the Heart who was on track to succeed Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata. Like Kondo, the death of Satoshi Kon further emphasizes the fact that there are so few up-and-coming anime directors under the age of 50 to take the reins from the generations preceding them. Indeed, many of the most notable such talents are directors such as Mamoru Hosoda, Masaaki Yuasa, and Takeshi Koike, all of whom also work at Madhouse. Death is always a tragedy, but with the global anime industry in its current condition, the loss of such a critical talent is particularly damaging. In illustration of this, I observe that several of Satoshi Kon's major works are currently out of print in the US.

On a tangential note: on Sunday, for the first time in my life, I went and bought a poster frame since my years worth of collecting posters had all been for naught by virtue of the fact that I'd never put any of them up. The question dawned on me: which poster do I choose to put up out of all the ones I owned? I looked over what I had, and in the end I decided one deserved to be up on my otherwise-empty walls more than the rest:

It was the poster for Millennium Actress.

Last edited by Anime World Order on Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

I was REALLY hoping this was a rumor too, but tragically, it isn't. Crying or Very sad Man, I'm totally in shock. I absolutely adored Satoshi Kon's work. He was probably my favorite anime director of all time, honestly. Besides that, he seemed like a pretty genial, fascinating guy in interviews and whatnot too. It's horrible that such a great visionary has passed away. I hope the very best for the production team on his last film. I know I'll do my best to see it in honor of his memory. Crying or Very sad

AWO has the right idea. ^^; I went ahead and bought a poster too, as I was shopping for posters last night: Perfect Blue. I wasn't going to get any anime posters because I thought I had too many, but I think I definitely need to make an exception for Kon's first great movie. (And I love the art on it too~...)

Last edited by JacobC on Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 19