• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Rub-a-Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skchai1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote
@Logan: Kyousuke is a man's name, and while he doesn't like his picture displayed (like lots of mangaka) and there is no gender-specific pronoun in Japanese that would make things easy, I think we can safely assume he's a guy. Laughing

@Ricardo: Ironic you mention Hanazawa Kana, because there is grumbling among some "antis" on 2ch that resembles the Johny Yong Bosch complaint, though certainly not to that extent. She gets cast in so many roles primarily because she can reliably deliver a certain kind of voice - sweet, quiet, with a bit of tentativeness, that is needless to say considered very moe. Basically the same type of voice that Noto Mamiko has been famous for. But the fact that she has become ubiquitous without showing much range is sometimes seen as evidence that characters are becoming ossified into predictable archetypes, and that there are fewer truly original characters that demand seiyuu with the ability to generate a new voice for each role, e.g. Sawashiro Miyuki, Orikasa Fumiko, Satou Rina, and even Hanazawa's buddy Tomatsu Haruka (she not in the class of the others, but tends to be underrated as a seiyuu because of her idol activities). It's more complicated than that, I think, as the backlash (and sales figures) slowly affect industry thinking, but I don't want to bore with too much on this. Hanazawa will be successful regardless, though less ubiquitous. One other prediction is that Sakurai Harumi's Yurippe role will be launch her as a popular anime seiyuu after years of being relegated in the game seiyuu world.

As far as up-and-coming is concerned, this is always kind of a crap-shoot if you are looking at folks who are young, talented, and genuinely obscure. Luck and serendipity plays so much of a role in whether they break out and are given the opportunity to show their abilities. It's easier to predict who is already recognized in Japan but has the potential to gain future international recognition - the Besame Mucho Team (ROD, Kamichu, Spaceshow), though hardly young, has shown ability individually and collectively to work within the conventional genres (and in the case of Kurata Hideyuki, the writer, save what might be otherwise boring shows), but do so by transgressing the genres in imaginative ways. I haven't had the opportunity to see Spaceshow, but if they had difficulties with a coherent narrative, remember this is their first foray into a full-length movie.

Last edited by skchai1 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
suika

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
On the issue of hearing the same voices over and over again, I don't see the issue with that. I mean, if you're a fan of dubs you must have gotten to like the voice actors, so what's wrong with hearing them in a lot of roles?

Hear, hear. Obviously those dub-complainers never had the unfortunate experience of sitting through a series/movie where it was dubbed by solely ONE person (yes they do exist) where the dubber was very flat and monotone and used the same tonal voice throughout the whole thing. Worse yet, voices may not be synced with lip movements, and at times a few sentences/line will be skipped/untranslated.

I mostly prefer subs but if dub was the only option I'll gladly take the same cast of voice actors over flat tonal one voiced person dub any day. Heck, I'd rather just watch it with the TV mute. Evil or Very Mad
Dagon123

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
The important thing to note is something I mentioned in the previous answer: time and money. Dubbing studios ain't got a lot of either. They've got to turn around a 13-episode anime series, fully dubbed, in only a few months. I suppose they could always invest in talent scouts, hold bigger auditions, spend a few weeks trying out a variety of different voices, that sort of thing. Or, they could realize that they could just call in the same actors they've worked with before, the actors with whom they've built a solid and professional relationship, and they could save all that time and actually record an entire episode.

No, no, no, FUNimation has no right to say they don't have any money for dubs when they find a way to justify re-releasing every show they have with 3 perfect collections, they just choose not to because its an inconvenience not because its out of their budget, not like they pay freelancers anything anyway

Answerman wrote:
but I don't seem to hear too many people complaining that John DiMaggio, Tom Kenny, Kath Soucie, and Maurice LeMarche are in everything.

Do you know why no one complains? because they actually have different characters to there voices, what happens when Johnny Bosch does an anime? Its the same Johnny Bosch we've always heard, what happens when Crispin freeman does a voice? its the same Crispin Freeman, what happens when we Hear Vic do a Voice? we hear Edward freakin Elric everytime. Tom Kenny probably has the best of the 3 you mentioned because he can mask and manipulate his voice like a true pro, if FUNi's voice actors would actually try and change it up a bit (or they would man up and put some budget into different actors) people wouldn't complain about it and their dubs wouldn't be so stale
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

...As for downloading I wouldn't mind as long as it's legal to do so, but where I live my broadband speed is pathetic at 4.3mbps...

I'm pretty certain that all I can get is somewhere around 2 mb/s. The US has some pretty pathetic broadband speeds compared to Europe from what I understand, so if you thought you had it bad, try it over here Sad
Yeah, but I heard that you can thank your service providers and the TV networks who are in collusion to keep broadband from becoming the new broadcasting platform there for that. Wink Our's is slow because we are basically running on wires and exchanges virtually installed by Marcone himself. Wink
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:25 pm Reply with quote
suika wrote:
Sailor S wrote:
On the issue of hearing the same voices over and over again, I don't see the issue with that. I mean, if you're a fan of dubs you must have gotten to like the voice actors, so what's wrong with hearing them in a lot of roles?

Hear, hear. Obviously those dub-complainers never had the unfortunate experience of sitting through a series/movie where it was dubbed by solely ONE person (yes they do exist) where the dubber was very flat and monotone and used the same tonal voice throughout the whole thing. Worse yet, voices may not be synced with lip movements, and at times a few sentences/line will be skipped/untranslated.

Must be as exciting listening to a United Nations translator translating an impassioned speech.

Quote:
I mostly prefer subs but if dub was the only option I'll gladly take the same cast of voice actors over flat tonal one voiced person dub any day. Heck, I'd rather just watch it with the TV mute. Evil or Very Mad

What puts me off in a lot of dubs is the lack of interaction in the interaction ... delivering three click lines as independent tracks to be mixed together rarely gets the same emotional feel as a dub recorded radio-theater style with all the VA's in the scene in the same room. Its possible ~ I think Cowboy Bebop hit it ~ but not commonplace.

And even in an audiobook, I prefer a reader who can deliver a line differently for different characters.

So, yeah, if I came across a single person playing all parts in monotone, uggh. If there was no sub track, that'd be a stream abandoned forthwith, a Netflix rental back in the post without being finished, or looking into the DVD return policy of the store.

At last resort, something for the younger cat in the house to tear off after as it went flying through the air, since I'd not want to donate that to a library or to find some other poor sucker to share the pain.
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, come to think of it, the most flexible voice actors in the U.S. like James Arnold Taylor happens to be unionized voice actors who normally work in pre-lay voice acting. Bear in note that a large majority of anime dubs happen to be non-union, so many of them really can't hire highly professional unionized voice actors to work in anime dubs (unless if you happen to be Bang Zoom! Entertainment or making Disney dubs for Miyazaki's films).

One of the most common criticisms I get with Johnny Yong Bosch is that he always uses the "hot blooded, heroic" type voice. What many people don't realize is that he is quite capable of voicing someone with a high-pitch (Renton Thurston and recently, Sakura Kusakabe from Dokuro-chan), but expect him not to do high-pitch voices a lot. Pretty much most of his roles he get, he would most likely use his normal vocal range (either the "hot-blooded" type like Ichigo Kurosaki or smooth-talking type like Itsuki Koizumi). But I'll get surprised if Johnny Yong Bosch takes an extra step and voice a character that may need higher pitch than Renton Thurston.

I think Funimation and Sentai Filmworks are great companies that usually get new talents for anime dubbing. However, most of the new voice actors aren't highly experienced and aren't gonna have a lot of fanbase when compared to other veterans like Luci Christian, Todd Haberkorn, or Vic Mignogna. And in combination with the current recession, they are quite hesitant on getting new talents.
albanian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
As for downloading I wouldn't mind as long as it's legal to do so, but where I live my broadband speed is pathetic at 4.3mbps and that's when everyone else is away on their hols, and the quality is complete shyte anyway, so it isn't worth my bother. Also if I did download a movie, or series I would want to record it on to a disc for archiving, but DRM gets in the way even when I've paid for it, so until they can give me faster speed, and allow me to private archive to a disc, it's only DVD's and rentals for me.

Mohawk52, if you want to try coming to live another hundred miles or so outside London (where as many people speak Welsh as do English), you can revel in such joyous speeds as 250/350Kbps. And if you speak to anyone from the company about it, they shrug their shoulders and say it isn't likely to change for a long while, no matter what promises the politicians might make. I leave things running overnight (and have a good lie-in in the morning!) and I might just have thirty or forty minutes downloaded!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, you hear a lot of the same voices in Japanese casts, too. It's all about how appropriate a voice actor/actress is for a character. But I admit, it's a lot easier to be annoyed by a lot of the same voices when Adult Swim airs back-to-back shows with the same voices.

As for whether a dub is better literal or liberal, a lot of people now say that, "If it's too liberal, it sounds weird", but I haven't run into any examples of that. Most of the best English dubs for anime are 95% the same as the subtitle script, so either licensors have been using "dubtitles" like crazy, or that assumption is complete bunk. Big O's dub is about 98% accurate to the Japanese script. Dragon Ball Z's was maybe 60%. Do you even need to ask which of the two was the good dub?

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Death Note, Hellsing, these dubs do not take a lot of liberties. And they're all amazing.

If the licensor feels like they have to rewrite an anime to be "good", they shouldn't license it at all. I don't want Funimation's version of a show. It's not their place to improve a show. I just want the show in English. Otherwise, I'll just watch it in Japanese with subtitles.

If Funimation (which I'm just using as an example) thinks they're so creative, they should make their own cartoons. In the meantime, don't change the ones I already want to see.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:18 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote
What I'd really like to see are statistics about VA distribution. Specifically, imagine taking the Japanese and English lists here, but altering the Japanese list to only include roles that were dubbed into English and are thus counted in the English list. (So Takehito Koyasu wouldn't necessarily be at the top, for instance.) How would the distribution compare? Would the top twenty English-speaking VAs take up a greater percentage than the top twenty Japanese-speakers? What if you changed both to just include roles listed in bold on the VAs' pages -- regulars?

The King of Harts wrote:
I'm an inside audience member and I'll say that. I'm one of, like, 5 people who wishes dubs would be more liberal. If something doesn't work, or it can be worked to be better, by all means change it. I would've cried if Funimation left in the Chivalry = Mermaids pun-thing from My Bride is a Mermaid or if ADV would've left in the "boku/watashi" joke from Kanon. I'm also a huge fan of Eric Johnson's add-ons that he did for Desert Punk where he basically made the show even funnier. I'm also not offended by complete rewrites like Ghost Stories since it can actually make me interested in a show that's sound otherwise dull from the synopsis. Of course, that's just me, someone who doesn't believe original=perfect and untouchable.

Agreed with the caveat that I'm often interested in the original joke or whatever, even if I wouldn't laugh at it -- but that's just my curiosity at work. Even name changes can be a good thing, as in the case of "Jenius" becoming "Sterling" in Robotech. But others have elaborated on the point better than I can.

Though actually, there's one point I haven't seen made often -- writers write for their audience and rarely seem to consider the final product to be "exactly as it was always meant to be," especially since TV writers are often on a deadline. A good writer's priority is the effect produced in the audience's brains (e.g., does it grip/amuse/touch them or not).

On that note, why has Funimation been keeping the original "excited episode titles" for anime that have them?

skchai1 wrote:
and that there are fewer truly original characters that demand seiyuu with the ability to generate a new voice for each role

Is broad range more common (or more highly prized) among American voice-actors -- not just for anime, but native cartoons as well? Mel Blanc might be the most famous voice actor ever because of his mastery of this ability. And it's still reasonably common for actors like Scott McNeil or Rob Paulsen to be found voicing several characters in one show, each with very different voices. Play me a clip of Mamiko Noto voicing a line I don't know in-character and I could probably say "That's Mamiko Noto," but I wouldn't be able to tell you what character she's doing it as, whereas I can recognize Dinobot's or Rattrap's voice easily.
lys

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
skchai1 wrote:
@Logan: Kyousuke is a man's name, and while he doesn't like his picture displayed (like lots of mangaka) and there is no gender-specific pronoun in Japanese that would make things easy, I think we can safely assume he's a guy. :lol:

I think the current information available says Motomi-sensei is a woman. A thread on mangaupdates had some debate but came to that conclusion, with reference to statements made by a Spanish (I think) publisher who had worked with the artist, as well as photos from a signing event.

Beyond that, mangaka pen names are rarely if ever the same as their real name, so there's nothing to stop a female artist from choosing a male name if she so desires. Mangaka Shigeyoshi Takagi and Satoshi Morie are twin sisters who both chose male pennames. Anyway, what's important is the work they create, right? Whether a man or a woman, Motomi-sensei writes fantastic and addictive manga!!
sirkoala13

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Wish I could see that play, but unfortunately, I'm probably too young, and I live nowhere near there.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
albanian wrote:

Mohawk52, if you want to try coming to live another hundred miles or so outside London (where as many people speak Welsh as do English), you can revel in such joyous speeds as 250/350Kbps. And if you speak to anyone from the company about it, they shrug their shoulders and say it isn't likely to change for a long while, no matter what promises the politicians might make. I leave things running overnight (and have a good lie-in in the morning!) and I might just have thirty or forty minutes downloaded!
Will Basingstoke do? I know only too well that with the pathetic speed that I'm getting, people only a mile or so up the road from me are getting the same as you. The excuse I got was " it all depends on the distance you are from the local exchange serving you." I'm told I'm 4000 metres away from mine. (for you yanks a metre is roughly 39 and 3/4 inches in old money.) I call it pathetic when Sky and BT boast they can give us "up to 20Meg". I would guess that we would have to live inside the exchange itself to get that one. They need to be spanked for that "up to" bollox. Rolling Eyes And there's still the issue with DRM.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, am I the only one who found the response to the flake absolutely hilarious, if not slightly weird?

But in all honesty, I don't see why get so upset about voice actors voicing several shows and or voice acting all together. Even if you don't like them, as long as there is work for voice actors in the US, English voice acting won't ever go away.
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Seriously, am I the only one who found the response to the flake absolutely hilarious, if not slightly weird?

The lost Indian Drum was one of my favourite sketches from the first season of Kids in the Hall. If you liked that, there's five seasons worth of that kind of humour, and the later seasons are much funnier than the first season.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
Do you know why no one complains? because they actually have different characters to there voices, what happens when Johnny Bosch does an anime? Its the same Johnny Bosch we've always heard, what happens when Crispin freeman does a voice? its the same Crispin Freeman, what happens when we Hear Vic do a Voice? we hear Edward freakin Elric everytime. Tom Kenny probably has the best of the 3 you mentioned because he can mask and manipulate his voice like a true pro, if FUNi's voice actors would actually try and change it up a bit (or they would man up and put some budget into different actors) people wouldn't complain about it and their dubs wouldn't be so stale

Since when did ones ability to change their voice dictate how good of a pro they are? Yea, Crispin Freeman's voice always sounds like him, no denying that, but can you honestly sit there and say Alucard, Togusa, Tylor and Shannon sound alike? Can you really say Brina Palencia's Holo and Mikoto sound the same? People always talk about how Vic's Tamaki and Ed sound sooooooo alike, but when you listen beyond the sound, and listen to the words and how they're spoken, they're pretty different. I'm much more impressed by the fact that while some actors don't have the greatest range, they can still make characters sound different than by someone who can change their voice from really high-pitched to super deep. Hell, I can do that, but it doesn't make me a great actor.

I see this whole "voices sound the same" thing as another case of judging a book by it's cover since it's purely a superficial complaint.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5