• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Poll: Where do you Buy your Manga?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Utils

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:20 pm Reply with quote
It's pretty impossible to find a waldenbooks in New York. So BN.
Belldandy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Too bad there's not a 'Other Retailer (non-internet)' as I buy my manga from ::gasp:: Suncoast, which is pretty much none of the poll choices. :?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:58 am Reply with quote
I'm glad Chapters was on the poll, but I buy just as much manga from Renaud-Bray. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jyrakos

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:33 am Reply with quote
LOL. I don't know if my vote should count. I buy mine from Borders and Waldenbooks...but then again...I work for Borders. So it's a given. I don't buy mine from Barnes & Noble because every one I've gone to has a really crappy selection. I just wish I had enough money to buy them all (even with an employee discount).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:48 am Reply with quote
It needs a Multiple Option. I do buy from other sources.
Emichan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:56 am Reply with quote
I don't buy english translated manga, I only buy Japanese import manga, and I get it online through a japanese bookstore website, BK1. (www.bk1.co.jp) Awesome store~~~ I love them Very Happy
avidxreader

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:44 am Reply with quote
To me, "Where do your buy your manga?" and "Where do you prefer to buy your manga?" are two different questions. I prefer to buy my manga from my local comics store, so I always stop there first. However, my local comics store doesn't always have what I want (they never carry yaoi titles, for one), so I often wind up going to Borders afterwards and buying manga there.
bravejaf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:36 am Reply with quote
Yeah I buy mine at a combination of places, Suncoast, Borders, Barnes and Noble, and others.

Anyone know any good online stores that sell manga cheap. Most places I go to cost $2 or $3 more after s/h. I know I can find anime online cheaper then retail even w/ s/h. Just curious, thanks.
wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:53 am Reply with quote
bravejaf wrote:
Anyone know any good online stores that sell manga cheap. Most places I go to cost $2 or $3 more after s/h. I know I can find anime online cheaper then retail even w/ s/h. Just curious, thanks.

Tell me about it, thats my problem with manga online, too. No matter what I do i can never seem to save more than $1 or so ordering online. You should check out the retail forum. I think someone just asked this same question recently so the thread should be pretty easy to find Smile .

There seems to be a duplicate (and dying) thread of this drifting south on the board so I'll just cut and paste my response from there to this thread.:

The question didn't have the word 'prefer' in the question on the front page but it did on the poll page, which is weird because it's two different questions. Without the 'prefer' you should be able to choose more than one; the word 'prefer' implies one choice-your preference.

I prefer to buy all of my manga at Waldenbooks, but sometimes I'll order online from amazon or rightstuf if I can't find the book I want or there is an unbelieveable online sale. I don't really like to buy manga online but I do it from time to time out of some form of necessity. I prefer going to the bookstore because I can have what I want right away and can browse through new titles without having to buy blindly to check it out.
spider-moose

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Emichan wrote:
I don't buy english translated manga, I only buy Japanese import manga, and I get it online through a japanese bookstore website, BK1. (www.bk1.co.jp) Awesome store~~~ I love them Very Happy

do you know if its possible to order without knowing japanese on there

like amazon.co.jp has a way to change their shopping cart into english so you can order from them which I do quite a bit, but some of their books are sold out and without pictures so I'm not sure if some of them are the right one and this site does what I'm looking for

but back on topic I order my mangas like above, on online retailers

and sometimes in stores if they have the ones I want and for a good price

like Chapters
Emichan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:33 pm Reply with quote
spider-moose wrote:
Emichan wrote:

do you know if its possible to order without knowing japanese on there

As far as I know, there is no way to change their shopping cart to English. Now, while my japanese is okay enough for me to enjoy import manga, I am not anywhere near fluent. When I first started using BK1 a few years ago, there was a helpful website out there that had screencaps of all the essential BK1 pages with english descriptions of all the stuff on them to help you get registered and showed you how to go through the shopping cart and check out process. However I can't seem to find that site at the moment (argh). BK1 has since changed their graphics and made slight changes to their process, so I don't know how well those screencaps would work now anyway. I have been meaning to try to make an updated version of the screencap guide to help my friends who wanted to order from BK1 also, but I haven't been able to scrape up the time to do it, with my webcomic and work and other sites to maintain -_-;;

Back to the topic on hand, If I were to order domestic english translated manga online, I always thought justmanga.com looked pretty cool. They have decent prices, deals on the shipping, and good descriptions and cover pictures. Major bookstore chains might also be an option.. if you buy lots of manga, then getting one of those frequent buyer discount cards could come in handy.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Barns and Nobles and Borders selections seem almost identical to me. I guess that Borders has a slightly more snazzy layout and feel to it, but Barns and Nobles has the Starbucks, which gets me sold. =P
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
IanC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I have to say amazon. Though i have bought some manga from Ottakars, Borders and WHSmith (im surprised to see that on the poll, always thought they where a British only comapany)
Bane the ECF

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:29 am Reply with quote
Emichan wrote:

Try www.asahiyausa.com , I find that their prices are extremely good. If you don't know Japanese, just call their office and order whatever you want over the phone.

Bane
animewolf17

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:45 pm Reply with quote
seeing all the people that picked waldenbooks/borders now i know why books a million doesnt carry much manga I picked waldenbooks though but both stores I mentioned are near me though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2