• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, August 16-22

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:12 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

Q-tec is actually a (very big) post-production house, so this is yet another case of a post-production house screwing up a client's job. (For more, see: entire CPM catalog) Dunno what they're using, but IMHO most Japanese upscales have looked pretty janky. I usually don't bother unless there's a new transfer.

I don't know which you've seen, but most of Bandai Visual's upscales have been excellent (at least as "excellent" as an upscale can be). The rest varied, but usually the limitations of the source material was the biggest problem. Before companies started specifically mentioning they were using Q-tec's upscaling as a selling point, I don't recall a single Japanese upscale that featured the same sort heavy noise reduction and edge enhancement that plagued Funimation's eariler upscales. In the past 6 months or so, Stellvia, Haibane Renmei, Blue Seed, 3x3 Eyes, FLCL, and Sekirei have all had this treatment. That I've seen, Stellvia and Blue Seed in particular look like someone flung globs of paint at the screen. Between this and companies deciding that shoveling out upscales of film based anime is A-OK, it's a sad situation. Particularly since even 20 year old TV series can look pretty good when treated well. (You should be rather familiar with this example).

Last edited by hissatsu01 on Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:07 am; edited 1 time in total
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:51 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Particularly since even 20 year old TV series can look pretty good when treated well. (You should be rather familiar with this example).

Holy smokes those look amazing!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:36 am Reply with quote
Oh my god, Tatami actually made the top.5. I might cry. If it sold in Japan, Funi has no excuse not to put out DVDs here...unless they consider it not having a dub an excuse.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:56 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Otaku...I am so glad that Japanese disparagements are easily useable in conversations but if somebody busts out a kawaii or a sugoi and the conversation enters DEFCON1.

BluRay is still expensive enough in Japan that if anyone is buying anime copies of it, you can bet they are likely the more hard-core fans -- otaku. And hey, they support the industry, which is better than many outside of Japan! So while it might be a disparaging remark in most instances, view it in this context as a term of affection for people who really love their anime, and have definitely shown some good taste in giving Yuuasa his biggest series success so far. He may not have matched the juggernaut that is K-On! but this is much better than Kaiba or Kemonozume ever did.

Quote:
Oh my god, Tatami actually made the top.5. I might cry. If it sold in Japan, Funi has no excuse not to put out DVDs here...unless they consider it not having a dub an excuse.

A dub for this wouldn't be a bad idea though, and I say this as someone who probably won't bother with it. The subtitles fly by really fast, and while I was able to follow them, that's partly my knowledge of Japanese and not my reading speed. Many, many people would need to watch this in their native language at least the first time through just to be able to follow it.

That said, anything less than a superb English dub for this would, in my book, be a real crime against a great series. And I don't know how much sales in America would support that much effort. What sells in Japan does not always sell over here; look at how the manga for One Piece compares in both nations.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but considering how little attention this series got on the internet, including official streams and fansubs, I doubt they will make a DVD for this. I'm still shocked it's selling in Japan, but a friend told me it has a lot of homages, and the Japanese loved that.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
You speak as if only popular series ever get DVD releases. When has anybody cared about this 'Master of Martial Hearts' show I keep seeing banner ads for? Or like, Blassreiter, or Linebarrels of Iron. I get that these kind of shows are more marketable in spite of content, but if Tatami is selling this well in Japan, I'd like to think that raises the odds of a DVD release in America from impossible to at least unlikely.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
From my understanding, some of those bad shows that get released in USA are bundled with other, more popular anime. Like, they won't give you Vampire Bund, if you don't get Summoned Beasts as well.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I'll bet that Summoned Beasts sells more copies than Vampire Bund.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:23 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Holy smokes those look amazing!

Pretty much, though it appears even in Japan old school anime doesn't get much love. The Patlabor OVAs which look just as good sold only a little over 1000 copies I think; I don't expect TV to do much better.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:57 am Reply with quote
Just an FYI, Tatami Galaxy sold 2704 copies on BD and 2189 copies on DVD to fall a little short of 5000 total. It'll pass 5000 with next week's sales, though it's unlikely to show up on the charts again. Not amazing sales, but it should at least be modestly profitable and it is Yuasa's best selling show yet.
toyNN

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Sort of jumping ahead but I see Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya Blu-rays dominating Amazon.jp rankings as of 8/30. Probably some correspondence but I wonder how high Oricon will show this next week.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I think you're a bit confused. Oricon tracks sales, not pre-orders. Nothing related to Haruhi will be showing up for months.
toyNN

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:17 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
I think you're a bit confused. Oricon tracks sales, not pre-orders. Nothing related to Haruhi will be showing up for months.

Yes a bit of newb confusion reigns - thanks for the correction.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2