• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Bein' a Hata

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
And I reckon Hiroshi Nagahama did a brilliant job of realizing the art of the Mushichi manga ... not just respecting the art, but marrying it with a soundtrack that complemented it beautifully.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I pre-ordered my Sea Prince and the Fire Child DVD back during the TRSI back to school sale, I can't wait to finally get my mitts on it!

As did I- Discotek is quickly earning my respect for releasing titles no other company would be willing to bother with. I hope to start sending more money their way (sadly, right now most od their catalog is works I'm just flat-out not interested in, or already own from a previous release.)

I will forever remember Little Nemo as 'that movie from the group sleepover'. I wanted to play a board game, but no, everyone stopped to watch some dumb movie with a kid shouting jibberish about pajamas! (Honestly, once I gave up and started watching, I didn't hate it... but at the time, I was too biased to like it.)
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote
skchai1 wrote:
It was perhaps inevitable that Little Nemo would turn out like that. It's such a huge landmark in U.S. comic art and narrative, yet it never reached animation for many decades after McCay's death.

The other big problem with Nemo in general is that Nemo himself is a blank sheet: an entirely bland and personality-free kid to whom things happen. (That was kind of the point, hence his name, "Nemo" or "no-name".) In the comic, he only ever expresses having a will of his own once or twice. That worked well in the short narrative confines of a comic page, but makes for a pretty much impossible screenwriting task.
Myaow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:56 am Reply with quote
I used to rent The Sea Prince and the Fire Child and Little Nemo from the local video place all the time when I was little! How cool that Hata worked on both of them! (I have the Sea Prince preordered from Discotek too- I can't wait to see it again after all this time.)

This is a nice article; I feel like anime "family films" like Summer Wars and the Space Show are coming into vogue, so it's cool to learn more about some of the genre's older works.
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:14 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I'm not trying to be rude, but I think the DVD cover art for Sirius no Densetsu is actually very good.

I love the key artwork itself, but look at the text. I think the title itself is too spare, and there's not enough separation - the text sinks into the image. If you took the DVD and put it on a shelf, and then had a look at it from 10 feet away, you would have a hard time discerning the title is at all. That's not a good thing!

pomocho wrote:
(And speaking of Hata and Discotek... I'm going to continue crossing my fingers and holding my breath for a DVD box-set of the Mushi-Pro trilogy; knowing their penchant for releasing classic, ground-breaking, or experimental anime titles from the sixties and seventies, it seems like a perfect fit. That, for me, would be the release of the century.)

I feel like Discotek releasing something like Fairy Florence or Unico is a distinct possibility, since they've gotten Sea Prince out of the gates. A western release of the ANIMERAMA films (yes, even Belladonna of Sorrow) seems almost too good to be true, but the anime home video market has fragmented in some very interesting ways, so we'll see.

Showsni wrote:
Little Nemo? That's the one with the NES video game, right?

The same. Amusingly, the NES game came out in 1990, well before the film hit the US.

Zin5ki wrote:
I see that Makoto Shinkai has yet to find a place in this list. Rintaro has been mentioned however, so I shall make no further quarrel of this.

Makoto Shinkai has a short and two feature films under his belt. More is needed from him, in every possible sense of the word.

agila61 wrote:

I'm sure that should have been, "before going on to make the quintessential Girls with Guns trilogy of the turn of the century,

No, I omitted those titles intentionally. IMO they don't compare favorably to his earlier works.

Pandadice wrote:
What, no mention of Ryutaro Nakamura in the stream of directors?

You can expect a GHOST HOUND-centric column in a couple of weeks, to coincide with the series dub/re-release.

Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
I'd like to see Junichi Sato profiled. He's directed a whole bunch of awesome and important anime. Plus, you haven't even done a single column on shoujo anime yet. :cry:

This will be rectified pretty soon as well.

skchai1 wrote:
You mentioned Mashimo and I think Kawajiri but what about Maeda Mahiro, Yuasa Masaaki, Mochizuki Tomomi, Watanabe Shinichi(ro) to name a few? Not to mention Tomino, Kawamori, and, yes, Shinbo?

I mentioned Yuasa. As for the rest, um, I don't really feel the need to turn in a 10,000+ word column just so I don't miss anybody. These guys'll get their due-- Tomino, in particular, is a creator I could probably rip off 10k words about just by himself. He is particularly interesting to me in that I think of the majority of his works as failures (near-misses), but very, very interesting failures.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As did I- Discotek is quickly earning my respect for releasing titles no other company would be willing to bother with. I hope to start sending more money their way (sadly, right now most od their catalog is works I'm just flat-out not interested in, or already own from a previous release.)

I totally agree! I'm hoping that they license more underappreciated but secretly wonderful anime movies such as Dog of Flanders (highly adamant on this one) and Ringing Bell. But doubtfully those might be dreams that will never come true. And yeah, the only movie from their catalog that I'm interested in is Sea Prince and the Fire Child. I'm definitely gonna get the DVD for that! But I might have to wait until the New York Anime Festival comes around to get it.

Quote:
I feel like Discotek releasing something like Fairy Florence or Unico is a distinct possibility, since they've gotten Sea Prince out of the gates.

Agreed, 100%! They better license the Unico movies because that other company refuses to release them!

Quote:
I'd like to see Junichi Sato profiled. He's directed a whole bunch of awesome and important anime. Plus, you haven't even done a single column on shoujo anime yet.

I third Sato Junichi! I've seen him do anime like Aria, Princess Tutu, Strange Dawn, and Umi Monogatari and he's great! I definitely want to see his newest work, Tamayura.
khaos1019

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:08 am Reply with quote
I had no idea so many talented people were all, at least somewhat, involved in Little Nemo. Great article.

Also, "Bein' a Hata." I laugh every time I read that. That title is made of so much win.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:42 am Reply with quote
I've seen Little Nemo before as a kid, only I never knew the name. After watching that movie, I used to think I could fly in my bed too.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god, I so clearly recall watching The Mouse and His Child just once years ago on Disney. That movie really gripped me as a kid. I can clearly recall the scene where spoiler[the rat goes crazy and crushes the father and son with a rock, all while hearing the child mouse's protests to stop]. That part really freaked me out when I saw it. Did it ever get any kind of media release outside of TV?

I'm interested in that Oceanus fellow. His design looks pretty badass. I've heard a lot of glowing reports about great Sea Prince still is, so I should add it to my list of anime. And wow, Tony Oliver? I'd love to hear how young his voice was.

Little Nemo, ha, how could any late 80s to 90 kid forget that one? I had researched some years back to find out more about who worked on it, but I hadn't realized there had been such a fiasco over it. Was it really because Nemo had essentially no personality? The Nightmare King was so awesome to me, and many people told me he was very frightening then.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Great column. Man talk about a coincidence. What perfect timing and just in time for the release too. 'Sea Prince and the Fire Child' is being release on DVD 8/31. I'm actually looking forward to this one. I came across the ad by accident while searching 'Taro the Dragon Boy' another of Discotek's earlier releases. The characters grabbed me and my first thought was "it's another classic anime feature, where the characters have feet, like something out of a Tezuka movie." So I went on YT to find out more about it. So of course some have the whole film uploaded as well as Japanese trailer. So I checked it out. And I was really taken back by the score and imagery to this movie. Somehow I was reminded of 'Ponyo' as well. Only this feature would predate Ponyo by 3 decades. And I decided right then and there to buy it when it comes out. Not to mention I went back and purchased all the other animated classics that they've released so far (ie. - 'Taro the Dragon Boy', 'Puss N Boots',' Nemo' and 'Animal Treasure Island'). Because I realized as classics they're worth owning now. Not to mention I recommend them to my job any time one gets announced. I've even started getting my niece into them. We sit down every other Sunday night (before bed) and watch an animated feature. Either one of these classics, Miyazaki or any modern day one, (like 'Tree of Palme', 'Junkers', etc...). She's enjoying these classic ones, mainly because she finds the dubs hilarious. But it's a good way for us to enjoy it. Since I watch subbed versions alone. Not to create appreciation for classic animated films that have meaning instead of the usual 2D and 3D muck out there.

I hope that 'Discotek' does consider releasing more of these classic features. Bell of Chirin should definitely be one to released. Didn't know that Hata worked on it. But again the style gives it away. I also saw the trailer for 'Orpheus of the Stars' as well. Gawd, what a trip. That should be definitely be released as well. Reminds me of the gawdy LSD trip that you'd find in a Ralph Bakshi flick tricked out with campy 70's music. I've heard of 'Journey Through Fairlyland'. That was a request I got from a student who graduated. Sadly the DVD was never released. But didn't know that Hata was involved with that either. Or Mouse and Child. And yet I somehow vaguely remember this one or not. I saw that uploaded and gawd, talk about sad story. Some woman on Amazon was traumatized by the book as a child. Rolling Eyes Laughing But that's another feature that should be released. Oh and as for the 'Jack and the Beanstalk' feature, that's available now. Through a group called 'Henstooth video'. The have quite a few decent acquisitions not to mention rescuing Fear of Black Hat.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:

I mentioned Yuasa. As for the rest, um, I don't really feel the need to turn in a 10,000+ word column just so I don't miss anybody. These guys'll get their due-- Tomino, in particular, is a creator I could probably rip off 10k words about just by himself. He is particularly interesting to me in that I think of the majority of his works as failures (near-misses), but very, very interesting failures.

I would love to see an article on Tomino, the guy has one of the weirdest sense of humor I have ever seen (Hughes being a ninja, and the ICBM toss). His work on MSG, and Turn A Gundam are amazing, and I agree with you on the failures.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:11 am Reply with quote
Stuff Mike said I feel like chiming in on...
Quote:
I was initially dismayed to discover that Sea Prince was 4:3, rather than widescreen, but closer scrutiny revealed that the movie was produced open matte - its theatrical presentation may have been widescreen, but the film was created in Academy ratio, so it's supposed to be 4:3.

This is getting flak lately from many in the animation community over how should these films be seen. The problem with open-matted films is in whether or not they should be seen in their intended theatrical ratios or in the way we had been seeing them on TV for years? It's quite a hard question, and yet we still see such mess-ups like a recent DVD set of Warner Bros. cartoons that are being presented in cropped widescreen.

Quote:
Ever heard of this movie? If you haven't, just go and find any veteran Los Angeles-based animator over the age of 40 and ask them about it, because there's at least a 50% chance they worked on it.

You'd be surprised how many you'll find. I know a few!

FireChick wrote:
I'm not trying to be rude, but I think the DVD cover art for Sirius no Densetsu is actually very good. In fact, I think it's better than most I've seen.

The old RCA/Columbia Pictures Home Video release sure wasn't winning favors.

The Japanese DVD release didn't quite had that many characters on the screen, but I felt it got the message across.

Quote:
I REALLY want to get the DVD for this. I sincerely hope Discotek will save other classic anime titles, like Ringing Bell or maybe even the Dog of Flanders anime movie!! Of course, those are dreams that will likely never come true.

Me too, but we still have our hopes if they continue to release more Sanrio cinematic crap (and The Mouse & His Child was my childhood fav).

Showsni wrote:
Little Nemo? That's the one with the NES video game, right?

As I figured, most people really only know of Nemo for that, rather than for this movie (and to a lesser extent, the comic strip by Winsor Mccay). I wouldn't blame you, it was a good game from what I heard, though I got a kick out of seeing a vid of Capcom's side-scrolling beat 'em up version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMWId-Ru5qI

jsevakis wrote:
skchai1 wrote:
It was perhaps inevitable that Little Nemo would turn out like that. It's such a huge landmark in U.S. comic art and narrative, yet it never reached animation for many decades after McCay's death.

Not to mention the only time he was animated had to be done by McCay himself for a one-shot.

Quote:
The other big problem with Nemo in general is that Nemo himself is a blank sheet: an entirely bland and personality-free kid to whom things happen. (That was kind of the point, hence his name, "Nemo" or "no-name".) In the comic, he only ever expresses having a will of his own once or twice. That worked well in the short narrative confines of a comic page, but makes for a pretty much impossible screenwriting task.

Just be grateful we had a guy who knew how to do that and at a time when a comic strip would take up a full page of newsprint, when comics today are terribly short and practically takes up 1/8 of a page. But yeah, adapting that thing to the screen certainly was a challenge, and probably a fool-hardy thing to do, even for a Japanese studio.

belvadeer wrote:
Oh my god, I so clearly recall watching The Mouse and His Child just once years ago on Disney. That movie really gripped me as a kid. I can clearly recall the scene where spoiler[the rat goes crazy and crushes the father and son with a rock, all while hearing the child mouse's protests to stop]. That part really freaked me out when I saw it. Did it ever get any kind of media release outside of TV?

Strangely, I don't remember how I felt watching this as a kid, but seeing it again as an adult, it's very intense. This movie, along with the other Sanrio stuff that was dubbed into English (not to mention "Winds of Change" but not including "A Journey Through Fairy Land") had been released on Beta and VHS by RCA/Columbia Pictures Home Video. Later re-issues from them were done under the "Magic Window" label. The whole movie was stuck up on YouTube if anyone cares to see that.

Incidentally, Mouse & His Child was produced by Murakami-Wolf Films, probably best known for such unusually 70's acid trips like "The Point", the X-rated "Down & Dirty Duck" and "Puff The Magic Dragon" (and later on, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon series). I spot a lot of familiar American animators on this one, and somehow a credit to Charles M Schulz Creative Associates at the end, as somehow that company I guess bankrolled the film too.

Quote:
I'm interested in that Oceanus fellow. His design looks pretty badass. I've heard a lot of glowing reports about great Sea Prince still is, so I should add it to my list of anime. And wow, Tony Oliver? I'd love to hear how young his voice was.

Oceanus is pretty badass, but much like the queen character, we don't get to see past his torso for the most part, but perhaps that's part of the reason why the queen's hair seems to go out into nowhere off frame. Razz

Quote:
Little Nemo, ha, how could any late 80s to 90 kid forget that one? I had researched some years back to find out more about who worked on it, but I hadn't realized there had been such a fiasco over it. Was it really because Nemo had essentially no personality? The Nightmare King was so awesome to me, and many people told me he was very frightening then.

It's a kids film, no doubt not one that an adult may want to see, but if you're stuck being a parent, you know you're in for trouble!

Being reminded I have a 1984 pre-release poster for the film that I feel kicked serious ass when Kondo was still on staff.

Chrno2 wrote:
Oh and as for the 'Jack and the Beanstalk' feature, that's available now. Through a group called 'Henstooth video'. The have quite a few decent acquisitions not to mention rescuing Fear of Black Hat.

They even have the second volume of BEANY & CECIL! Another DVD I'd recommend people pick up from them is the bizarre German-Italian co-pro animated slop "Once Upon A Time".
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:01 am Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:

Chrno2 wrote:
Oh and as for the 'Jack and the Beanstalk' feature, that's available now. Through a group called 'Henstooth video'. The have quite a few decent acquisitions not to mention rescuing Fear of Black Hat.

They even have the second volume of BEANY & CECIL! Another DVD I'd recommend people pick up from them is the bizarre German-Italian co-pro animated slop "Once Upon A Time".

Oh cool. I always wanted to see the original Bob Clampett versions. I think Kricfalusi worked on the newer adventures. Thanks also for these recommendations. I'll pass it along. I'm always looking for classic animation for my job. Since I work for an art college libary, this is the sort of stuff we need in our collection. Since you mentioned 'Once upon a Time', reminds me of George Lucas' 'Twice Upon a Time'. Another great feature that's worth reissuing. Though I wonder what's the hold-up.

I would also like to add (that was not in my earlier post) that someone needs to pick up the 'Unico' movies. There was mention some years ago that some studio was going to release them. I remember this because we got this as a request from a student. At that time the only available formats were "out of print" VHS copies. And not a good selection. They only sold 1 or 2 out of the 4 movies. I had to research and approve the purchase. But at that time my job (college art library) had slowed down buying old VHS tapes unless it was really important. As of now we just did a big weeding project of withdrawing some VHS tapes and replacing them provided they're available on DVD. I kept watch for a long time waiting for a possible release based on such announcement. The only Unico that are available on DVD are these "all region" copies with the Sanrio logo. It states that it has a new English translation. Sounds fishy. So I hope that someone will finally grab their license and release them since the first announcement was never a go.

The other problem getting these features is the amount of money that goes into acquiring the license, transfer and remastering for release.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I would also like to add (that was not in my earlier post) that someone needs to pick up the 'Unico' movies. There was mention some years ago that some studio was going to release them. I remember this because we got this as a request from a student. At that time the only available formats were "out of print" VHS copies. And not a good selection. They only sold 1 or 2 out of the 4 movies. I had to research and approve the purchase. But at that time my job (college art library) had slowed down buying old VHS tapes unless it was really important. As of now we just did a big weeding project of withdrawing some VHS tapes and replacing them provided they're available on DVD. I kept watch for a long time waiting for a possible release based on such announcement. The only Unico that are available on DVD are these "all region" copies with the Sanrio logo. It states that it has a new English translation. Sounds fishy. So I hope that someone will finally grab their license and release them since the first announcement was never a go.

You're right. This company called New Galaxy Anime said they were gonna release it, but after 3 years I suspect they've given up. I wonder if Discotek will get the Unico movies?
Lapin noir

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote
pomocho wrote:
I'm going to continue crossing my fingers and holding my breath for a DVD box-set of the Mushi-Pro trilogy; knowing their penchant for releasing classic, ground-breaking, or experimental anime titles from the sixties and seventies, it seems like a perfect fit. That, for me, would be the release of the century.
I'd agree if it weren't for that Belladonna at least deserves Blu-ray Disc, which I can't see Discotek affording (as they re-relased Storm Riders just to DVD again when it's out on English-subbed Blu-ray in Hong Kong).

By the way, though I'd like to think at least you know, Osamu TEZUKA's experimental short films – which the Animeramas can be considered the feature-length progeny of (like the first two of them they're largely conceived and story-boarded by him but actually directed by Eiichi YAMAMOTO) – finally made it to English-subbed, region 1 DVD a few months ago. It's from KimStim, who tend not to be great in all but their choice of licences, but looks to be a significant improvement over their treatment of Kihachirô KAWAMOTO's works by actually containing all the films that the Japanese release it's sourced from does to begin with and the latter not really having any extras for theirs to do away with.

Last edited by Lapin noir on Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3