• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Bein' a Hata

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:54 pm Reply with quote
That poster is awesome, StudioToledo. Color me jealous.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
StudioToledo wrote:

They even have the second volume of BEANY & CECIL! Another DVD I'd recommend people pick up from them is the bizarre German-Italian co-pro animated slop "Once Upon A Time".

Oh cool. I always wanted to see the original Bob Clampett versions. I think Kricfalusi worked on the newer adventures.

He did, though it was such a short-lived production when it aired on ABC back in '88 or so.

Quote:
Thanks also for these recommendations. I'll pass it along. I'm always looking for classic animation for my job. Since I work for an art college libary, this is the sort of stuff we need in our collection. Since you mentioned 'Once upon a Time', reminds me of George Lucas' 'Twice Upon a Time'. Another great feature that's worth reissuing. Though I wonder what's the hold-up.

We only wonder. A perfect DVD release for that movie should be done.

"Once Upon A Time", and how I viewed this film (whose German title is actually "Maria d'Oro und Bello Blue" I think), is like Disney, Tex Avery and Yellow Submarine in a blender, probably the best way to describe that film.

Quote:
I would also like to add (that was not in my earlier post) that someone needs to pick up the 'Unico' movies. There was mention some years ago that some studio was going to release them. I remember this because we got this as a request from a student. At that time the only available formats were "out of print" VHS copies. And not a good selection. They only sold 1 or 2 out of the 4 movies. I had to research and approve the purchase. But at that time my job (college art library) had slowed down buying old VHS tapes unless it was really important. As of now we just did a big weeding project of withdrawing some VHS tapes and replacing them provided they're available on DVD. I kept watch for a long time waiting for a possible release based on such announcement. The only Unico that are available on DVD are these "all region" copies with the Sanrio logo. It states that it has a new English translation. Sounds fishy. So I hope that someone will finally grab their license and release them since the first announcement was never a go.

I had to pick up Japanese R2 versions myself since they have released them already for years. Those discs though don't have an English audio track otherwise (though I would assume Sanrio has it stashed away someplace). Even have one for "Mouse and his Child" despite that disc not even having Peter Ustinov voicing Manny the Rat. Again I don't know why Sanrio doesn't put in the extra effort at all (some of these discs suffer from analog conversions than a digital transfer). Even TMS/Bandai did a decent job on their Nemo disc I paid $80 for. The Unico movies though looked terrific otherwise transfer-wise.

Quote:
The other problem getting these features is the amount of money that goes into acquiring the license, transfer and remastering for release.

Certainly.

Zac wrote:
That poster is awesome, StudioToledo. Color me jealous.

Also got a couple of cels from this film too. There's also a poster for it's '89 release I bothered to pick up as well, compared to the later '92 release in America, I thought the '89 Japanese poster design try to made the film seem mysterious.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Hey Mike! Great column! Always interesting to read about animation history. Masami Hata is a very talented director, Little Nemo being my favorite of his films with Super Mario Bros. being a close second. I haven't had the opportunity yet to see too many of his films but, I certainly will rectify that. Sea Prince & the Fire Child looks amazing. Anyway, how about a retrospective on either Tomoharu Katsumata or Tadao Nagahama? Noboru Ishiguro would be a very interesting read as well.

Anyway, keep up the awesome work, man! I eagerly await the next column!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote
LeoKnight25 wrote:
Hey Mike! Great column! Always interesting to read about animation history. Masami Hata is a very talented director, Little Nemo being my favorite of his films with Super Mario Bros. being a close second.

Surprised someone liked that film. Of course it's also funny Nintendo never tried to market that film in the US either (say 1988 when the second game came out here). I could picture the same group of people who dubbed the Sanrio movies working on this too (pretty much the Intersound guys).

[quote]I haven't had the opportunity yet to see too many of his films but, I certainly will rectify that.
I suggest try Ping Pong Club (Anime's answer to "Porky's" I'd say).
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:31 am Reply with quote
Bothering to watch a bit of the 3rd season of Stitch!, I see Hata's no longer involved in it, nor is Madhouse, as the production was switched to Shin-Ei Animation this time around. A studio perhaps familiar for kiddie classics like Doraemon and Crayon Shin-chan is taking a crack at this now.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:34 am Reply with quote
A small update. I finally got my copy of 'Sea Prince and Fire Child' this past Saturday. Just in time for my weekend feature night with my niece. Belated birthday party for her and myself starting today before I head home.

It's a beautiful film to watch. I deeply enjoyed it. But I can see where Toole points out where the story takes an odd turn toward the resolution point and the tragic ending. But the artwork is gorgeous to look at. The dubs not to bad either. Considering the majority of these films were dubbed years ago. Me myself I'd prefer to watch it subtitled. But right now I'm trying to introduce these classics to my niece so I can start her on a path cultural interest. I plan to watch the film again myself subtitled this week. My only problem with the DVD is the packaging. While I'm happy that Discotek released this DVD I felt they could have done more with it's packaging since this is the 30 year anniversary. No chapter insert, just the DVD and it's case. And gawd, I hate the smell of those particular manufactured cases. I feels very cheaply done. Like something out of a $2 bargain bin. Thing is it's not in a thin case or plastic sleeve. That's the downside. It's remastered as good as it's going to get. So you don't get a lot of those little distortions popping up. Y'know the ones you see on a old mm reel. You may get a little. I'm really amazed at the difference in a film remastered vs the original source. But that's my only disappointment. Other than that I'm glad to have the film.

I just got my 'Puss n' Boots' and 'Animal Treasure Island' early last week as well. Now I just need 'Taro the Dragon Boy' and my small classic collection will be complete. I wonder what's next on Discotek's acquisition list. Surprised
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:40 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
It's a beautiful film to watch. I deeply enjoyed it. But I can see where Toole points out where the story takes an odd turn toward the resolution point and the tragic ending. But the artwork is gorgeous to look at. The dubs not to bad either. Considering the majority of these films were dubbed years ago. Me myself I'd prefer to watch it subtitled. But right now I'm trying to introduce these classics to my niece so I can start her on a path cultural interest.

It's best to do that I feel.

Quote:
I plan to watch the film again myself subtitled this week. My only problem with the DVD is the packaging. While I'm happy that Discotek released this DVD I felt they could have done more with it's packaging since this is the 30 year anniversary. No chapter insert, just the DVD and it's case. And gawd, I hate the smell of those particular manufactured cases. I feels very cheaply done. Like something out of a $2 bargain bin. Thing is it's not in a thin case or plastic sleeve. That's the downside.

Yeah they could've done better.

Quote:
It's remastered as good as it's going to get. So you don't get a lot of those little distortions popping up. Y'know the ones you see on a old mm reel.

Do you mean 8, 16 or 35mm? This film would've been on 35mm when shown in Japan otherwise.

Quote:
You may get a little. I'm really amazed at the difference in a film remastered vs the original source. But that's my only disappointment. Other than that I'm glad to have the film.

I wasn't complaining the slightest when I first saw this years back.

And if you can believe the internet as well, Sanrio apparently bankrolled the Ideon movies as well, but I doubt that.

Quote:
I just got my 'Puss n' Boots' and 'Animal Treasure Island' early last week as well. Now I just need 'Taro the Dragon Boy' and my small classic collection will be complete. I wonder what's next on Discotek's acquisition list. Surprised

Well, they have the Galaxy Express 999 movies and the Fist of the North Star '86 film, but that's all I can think of for Toei-produced films in their mitts. Wished we had gotten a few more out of it myself.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:43 pm Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:

Well, they have the Galaxy Express 999 movies and the Fist of the North Star '86 film, but that's all I can think of for Toei-produced films in their mitts. Wished we had gotten a few more out of it myself.

Well, that's next on my recommendation list. Especially the 'Galaxy Express' movies. Mainly because a past alumnus donated two storage bins full of VHS tapes from his collection. Among those was 'Adieu Galaxy Express 999'. Which I pulled and put aside. As I've heard it was one of the best of the movies. A classic. Of course we haven't cataloged it. It's been sitting in the cabinet for years now. I think the reason is because they either wanted to avoid cataloging any more VHS donations or the fact that there is no record for it. But now since it's being reissued by Discotek, it will join the rest of the withdrawals. At some point in time.

I'd had a past interest in the 'Galaxy Express 999' series but it died out. Plus, at that time I didn't know anyone that had episodes. Not to mention I wasn't ready yet to explore other venues. Eventually I'll give the movies a spin once they're released.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3