• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Junjo Come Here

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:59 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Quote:
When I accused Casshern Sins Part 1 of looking cheap this week on Shelf Life, I meant that it cut a a lot of the same corners as DBZ. You only need one gray post apocalypse key background:
Are these really that monotonous for a post-apocalyptic show?

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh265/juice41fantastic/Casshern1.jpg?t=1283300187

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh265/juice41fantastic/Casshern5.jpg?t=1283300190

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh265/juice41fantastic/Casshern6-1.jpg?t=1283304019

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh265/juice41fantastic/Casshern3.jpg?t=1283300188

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh265/juice41fantastic/Casshern4.jpg?t=1283300272

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh265/juice41fantastic/Casshern2.jpg?t=1283300368

Shows have their ups and downs, but still.
Quote:
And then a lot of the characters are robots with fixed jaws. Casshern has a mask over his mouth during fights, too.
The overwhelming majority of anime designs have a character's mouth small in order to not give the animator's grief over animating lip flap. This is been happening for decades and decades. However, I'm not a fan of the quasi-lip sync that's so popular in American animation either.

Quote:
The fights are often hand-to-hand battles between two characters. A lot of part 1 was two characters standing still talking before a fight on nearly-identical backgrounds.
Do you consider hand-to-hand fights between two people inherently designed to cut budget costs? One of the fights in this set (ep. 6) is handled by Norio Matsumoto and he's hardly a cheap guy to get on a series given his skill. This (hey, there's a robot with a mouth!) is done by Naoki Tate, who's also arguably the best animator owned by Toei. I never expect for fights to have elaborate backgrounds since I consider those sequences to be the individual animator's turf.

Just by looking at the personnel they got on this project and how it comes together, it becomes apparent to me that the animation is meant to be idiosyncratic in its execution and not lazy. I'm not denying that there aren't some shortcuts in the series, but these never came across to me as the animation being inadequate so much as something that I have to swallow due to the constraints of producing a TV series. What stuck with me was how it overcame these shortcomings with the overall movement and design that was applied to the series.

Quote:
By contrast, you might be wondering (probably not; TL;DR) about an "expensive" counter-example. The 2004 film Steamboy is a good example.
That's actually a pretty unfair one just on the terms of comparing backgrounds. There were only 7 people credited on Steamboy for doing background work and that obviously reflects the amount of time they had to lay back on.

I have to say...

Your posts in this thread have been very useful and I appreciate them.

(this is Ben, right?)

Also, adding onto the thing, I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only person here who read the blog post then got kinda taken aback by the comparison of a feature-length film (from Otomo, no less) and a TV series...

It's very obvious what's going to look better.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:50 am Reply with quote
[quote="braves"]
Quote:
When I accused Casshern Sins Part 1 of looking cheap this week on Shelf Life, I meant that it cut a a lot of the same corners as DBZ. You only need one gray post apocalypse key background:
Are these really that monotonous for a post-apocalyptic show?

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh265/juice41fantastic/Casshern1.jpg?t=1283300187

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh265/juice41fantastic/Casshern5.jpg?t=1283300190

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh265/juice41fantastic/Casshern6-1.jpg?t=1283304019

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh265/juice41fantastic/Casshern3.jpg?t=1283300188

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh265/juice41fantastic/Casshern4.jpg?t=1283300272

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh265/juice41fantastic/Casshern2.jpg?t=1283300368

Shows have their ups and downs, but still.
[quote]

Honestly, they all look like the same piles of scorched earth and metal, just put through a differant color filter in a few instances. I think the show looks alright, but I can definately see Erin's point...
braves

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:50 am Reply with quote
I honestly don't see how they're the same "piles" of artwork. There's obviously a common theme given the environment they're decided to place the show in, but I don't regard them all as interchangeable. Perhaps somebody can post some BG art from other post-apocalyptic shows and see how they match up.
DKL wrote:
I have to say...

Your posts in this thread have been very useful and I appreciate them.

(this is Ben, right?)
Thank you for your compliment. However, I'm not Ben (my real name is Hugo). Though, I do read Anipages quite a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:52 am Reply with quote
*sigh*

You people need to shut the hell up about this Casshern Sins nonsense, and watch some Mad Max.

Appreciation for the post-apocalyptic. Might as well get some education on the subject since it's coming soon.

Hell, I'm already stocking up on dog food and shotgun shells.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:03 am Reply with quote
Who says that everyone hasn't seen Mad Max already? Twice.

I'd just like to see a post apocalyptic future designed in an even slightly inspired way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:07 am Reply with quote
I like my beef steak flipped twice over the fire and served rare and bloody. As a practicing Catholic at no time since my First Holy Communion has the body and blood of Christ tasted like a bloody rare steak, more like bread and sweet wine. It's only an immortal soul residing in Heaven that the pious seek through communion and prayer. If an immortal body was possible the Saints would still be with us. Just saying. Wink
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:55 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Appreciation for the post-apocalyptic. Might as well get some education on the subject since it's coming soon.

Man, F surviving the apocalypse! What's so great about living in a barren wasteland anyway? Everything's ruined, you probably got at least fifteen kinds of cancer and everybody else is out to rob, kill and/or eat you.

The Road Warrior would be a pretty badass nickname though...
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:45 am Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
John Casey wrote:

Man, F surviving the apocalypse! What's so great about living in a barren wasteland anyway? Everything's ruined, you probably got at least fifteen kinds of cancer and everybody else is out to rob, kill and/or eat you.

The Road Warrior would be a pretty badass nickname though...

I guess I'm just one of those dudes who feels that I was born in the wrong century. :<

I'd be perfectly at home five hundred years from now, raiding a soup caravan with a Ford 1979 Mustang equipped with Davy Crockett nukes in the headlights.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:49 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I like my beef steak flipped twice over the fire and served rare and bloody. As a practicing Catholic at no time since my First Holy Communion has the body and blood of Christ tasted like a bloody rare steak, more like bread and sweet wine. It's only an immortal soul residing in Heaven that the pious seek through communion and prayer. If an immortal body was possible the Saints would still be with us. Just saying. Wink

One of the handful (less than a dozen) things I was taught as a child as a Mormon about Catholics was they actually believed the bread became the flesh of Christ & the water(we used) became his blood which was just crazy talk. I believe I was older when I learned they used wine even. The other big thing was none of the other Christian religions mattered--it was either the Mormons were right or the Catholics were because they had the Pope & we had the living prophet.

And one of Jesus's apostles IS still with us according to Mormon doctrine. One of the apostles asked to remain in this world until Jesus returns. I think there are a couple guys from the Book of Mormon running around doing good deeds.
A lot of whacko stuff Glenn Beck spews is stuff I'm told Mormons have backed away from-that we were to have our 2 yr supply of food because the US was going to fall into anarchy & the constitution hanging by a thread & it would be Mormon elders who would step in to save it. That the Constitution was written by our forefathers thru divine inspiration.
Religion is so much fun.
Having not seen Sins & not remembering the last, I can't say, but I'm not discounting the savior motif sounds as though it plays a part in the story. It seems to play a part in a lot of apocalyptic tales & it's usually just a matter of how far the author carries the martyr/savior comparison.
One finds what one will in stuff. There's this little Slayers sort of story called Gokudo & part of the theme in the anime is the native Japanese gods see Buddhism & Christianity as invading pantheons. Ever since seeing that title early in my collecting days (by 2005 at least), I've seen the little things here & there that Japan sort of picks up all sorts of religions (covering their asses for the nexrt world?), but their take on Christianity isn't necessarily the same as a Western Christian. In particular, they seem to feel the Christian god is about punishing people for having fun. Angels seem to be about destruction a lot in anime & manga while it seems the devils or demons more represent humans. I've wondered if it is't a result of christian missionaries in the past being all hellfire & brimstone about pagans & the native Japanese gods

I daresay we could both watch the same title, but because my life has been different from yours, I pick up on things you don't & vice versa. For one thing, I tend to watch stuff looking for hints as to where the story is headed so I'm constantly comparing shows to other shows/stories so I'm really rarely surprised by an ending. My love of fantasy is in the delivery which is why I can live with a lousy ending & revel in a deliciously executed confrontation or a well done death encountered within the story. I am always hoping for stupendous, but most manga & anime seems to settle for the easier just ok route.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Appreciation for the post-apocalyptic.

I'd like to throw out there that "the wasteland" is practically archetypal as a setting, going back easily to King Arthur & The Fisher King stories. The idea that society has gotten right to the edge of being so corrupt that it has nearly destroyed itself has probably been around since purely tribal oral-storytelling times. Practically every mythological system I can think of off-hand has its world-destroying/world-destroyed scenarios.

And, the fact that the setting of "the wasteland" (regardless of how the world gets destroyed) keeps getting re-used, re-envisioned, and on rare occasion re-imagined freshly just goes to show it has an enduring power not likely to vanish ... until perhaps the world IS destroyed, or at least all the story-telling creatures who live on it.

So -- clearly the point of wasteland stories is not "how do I literally survive an apocalypse" but instead "how do I deal with the wasteland that truly though metaphorically extends all around me." It becomes up to you to decide what/which wasteland you're living in (a moral wasteland maybe is one example?), and what to do about it. And in that symbolic, playful way wasteland stories can be guides -- both for what we might want to attempt in our own lives, and for what we might want to avoid attempting.

That said, if Casshern Sins falls into the Tehxnolyze camp, gah, I'll happily avoid it. I bought all of Tehxnolyze when I heard Yoshitoshi Abe was connected with it. The first disc was intriguing and it had me interested in where things were going, but soon after I realized there wasn't a single character in the whole thing that I liked, even remotely. I must have really hated myself to watch that thing all the way through to the end. I didn't mind at all that everyone died, but didn't see it as anything special either.

Now Jin-Roh, on the other hand, I think is fairly brilliant. Totally dark and unrelenting, sad beyond belief, but masterfully told. After watching several Oshii films, I've started to think that my appreciation for Jin-Roh comes from Hiroyuki Okiura's direction of an Oshii screenplay. Because when Oshii directs, I often quit caring about the film half way through. I do respect Oshii as a thinker and creator, but maybe I don't have what it takes to really get behind his work in the way that I do with someone who has a different sense of pacing, like Satoshi Kon. I did like Patlabor 2 quite a bit, and the first Ghost in the Shell more than a little, but Sky Crawlers made me feel like I was being drug through the wasteland with my ankles tied to Oshii's chariot.

Still, Brian Ruh's treatment of Oshii in Stray Dog is next on my list of anime-related books that I want to own. And, if more Oshii films come out, I'll continue to buy them. But I might not watch any more, even if I do buy them. I want my wallet to support the intelligent anime film makers, now more than ever. But if Okiura directs another Oshii film, THEN I'm going to be really excited.

Erin, THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting Carl Horn's letter. Thoughtful, touching, insightful, fantastic. We all owe you something for sharing that. (Yes, the whole damn internet owes you.) (How you will collect is a mystery only Kon-sensei can answer now.) Anyway, I'm totally looking forward to your Satoshi Kon marathon for Shelf Life.

Carl, you're a bodhisattva, man.

And Erin, thanks for warning me away even further from Casshern Sins.

I do agree with the poster who said he wanted to support Madhouse and Studio 4 C, by the way -- but with as much as they both put out I hope I can afford to be far more picky with my choices.

And Zac, I was entertained highly, and somewhat enlightened, by your parting of the magic curtain to let us see a glimpse of your editing philosophy. Keep fighting the good fight, dude. I don't know which miserable, sweat-drenched, armored member of the round table you represent, but I hope you find your Grail.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:58 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

TatsuGero23 wrote:
But I'm still curious (sincerely, not in snarky kind of way), you like GiTS; so when you watched GiTS did the budget friendly stuff stick out or did the series just do a better job making you believe or get caught up in its worlds and not notice them as much? Or do you think you just generally notice it more because you've been on that side of the industry?

Earlier I linked above to my personal blog entry about this, but I am interested in why you think GiTS had a low budget. Was it just the lip flap hiding? There was a ton of CG in that show, loads of action, tons of characters, lots of vehicles, a zillion props, layered colors, multiple characters in complicated action scenes, and lots and lots of locations including complicated cityscapes, which are hard to draw and expensive to do in 3D. Any time characters are more realistic (as in GitS), I assume it is harder to keep them drawn on model, so you need a high retake budget. Also I think GiTS was not on as late as night as Casshern, but I lack a source on this at this time. The earlier it airs in Japan the higher the budget (unless it's a preschool show - or maybe including preschool shows!).

We are talking about Ghost in the Shell, right? It probably needed a whole separate CG department just to create the world of the internet (in the show)! That's two offices instead of one (or two rooms at least), doubling the show's "rent".

Oh yeah, Ghost in the Shell (GiTS). And oh no! I'm definitely not calling GiTS low budget. That's why I use the term "budget friendly". It has artistic/story merit, but convienently, it saves money too. Technically speaking they would be the same but fundementally they differ. I use GiTS cause universally it's an example of an effective use of the techniques. You can still critize them to an extent, but they were well done and worked in the world it was trying to create. Plus all the other stuff you point out. I just felt Casshern fit that "well done" catergory as well. Maybe didn't put the same amount of budget into their show, but they did it well. Or so i thought. As opposed to like a slow episode in Naruto or a handful of shots in Senkō no Night Raid. And I'll check the link later. Can't see it through work filters.

I guess I'm just curious if a series heavily uses techniques like that, does it detract from the viewing experience for you? Is it distracting in a sense? Or is that just how you normally ingest your media? Like, I know friends who can't help but look at a film or show from a technical stance like camera tech, story, etc. But then like myself, I have friends who can just enjoy a show for what it is and/or can seperate the analyzing or can reserve it for like a second viewing or in the back of their head and key in more on the personal experience. As long as its done well that is. Something along the lines of instead of not liking a scene because "of a questionable choice of color pallete or perspective" to "thinking it just wasn't pretty or looked awkward." Or liking a shot because "it used X number of frames and a pan of the camera to create a fluid moment" to "He moved in a cool way".
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I was kind of surprised looking in the Shelf Obsessed pictures and seeing a bunch of DS games, mostly JRPGs, with no Pokémon game in sight. Thats a pretty rare sight, I must admit.
hitoyou

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I used to really enjoy shelf life.
But to be completely honest the new writer might be a very nice person and everything, but their opinions about anime are often bizarre.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Bizarre in what way? Other than that it is her opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Flame-G102

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
*sigh*

You people need to shut the hell up about this Casshern Sins nonsense, and watch some Mad Max.

How bout some Hokuto No Ken for Post apocalyptic?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8