• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Battle Angel Alita/Gunnm: LO Manga's Return Planned

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow, he really laid down the law. I'm just wondering if this will affect Viz's ability to continue the U.S. release, if it goes to Kodansha.
decepticons2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like he owns most of the rights and can do what he wants. Glad to see it. Artists complain about companies after they sell the product to them. If you sell off the rights don't complain.

Hell, with all this talk about digital distribution how long till publishers and record labels are a thing of the past. I don't see why manga couldn't be sold in a itunes like store.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
He's really showing Shueisha who wears the pants, isn't he? But I don't blame him. It's his work, so I can imagine that he must have been offended by the request to edit it so many years afterward.

It's too bad about Viz, though, if he does move. Viz lost the rights to Zatch Bell, so they'll probably lose the rights to Last Order as well.
zetsuie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote
decepticons2 wrote:
Sounds like he owns most of the rights and can do what he wants. Glad to see it. Artists complain about companies after they sell the product to them. If you sell off the rights don't complain.

Hell, with all this talk about digital distribution how long till publishers and record labels are a thing of the past. I don't see why manga couldn't be sold in a itunes like store.
Because publishers pay for advertising as well as editors who are extremely extremely important. Manga without an editor might as well be a shitty web comic that no one reads.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Wow, he really laid down the law. I'm just wondering if this will affect Viz's ability to continue the U.S. release, if it goes to Kodansha.

Ditto. Don't know how popular the series is in US (though I remember it making the top seller list a few times), but I hope Del Rey or Kodansha USA will pick it up if things go sour with Shueisha and Viz.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote
You used to never hear a peep out of most mangaka. Lately they're more ballsy and outspoken. Maybe they're all starting to snap because of their insane schedules.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:01 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
You used to never hear a peep out of most mangaka. Lately they're more ballsy and outspoken. Maybe they're all starting to snap because of their insane schedules.

One can only hope. I want to see more balls from the mangaka. I pray for the day "executive meddling" is only used after words like "Remember years back when...".
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Of course just about any publisher would pick him up.

It would be interesting to hear from Viz, even if he does switch there may be a possibility that they can hold on to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mrsatan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:46 pm Reply with quote
OK, I've got to ask:
What was the offending dialogue about?
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Good for him. What ridiculous censorship. Screw uptight political correctness. Let an artist say what it wants even if it chafes with society's stuck up norms.

bahamut623 wrote:
That or reporting of manga artist news is just better. Between more internet outlets for authors and more online fandom picking up on them, things are a changin'.

mrsatan wrote:
OK, I've got to ask:
What was the offending dialogue about?
Something about insulting the mentally ill. It dealt with specific taboos terms for calling someone a psychopath. It doesn't translate directly into English, but I guess the words aren't acceptable to some.

The closest thing I can think of that that recent 'retard-gate' between the Obama administration and Palin with her calling out Rahm Emanuel for uing the term 'retards' when talking about a group of senators.

Yet even that wasn't a fictional work with gruff characters who would use such rough words. I guess this is almost more like asking Aaron McGruder to stop using the N-word on The Boondocks.

Geez. You have cybernetic creatures ripping people in half, but you can't have them use insulting and vulgar language like that. Ridiculous.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Something about insulting the mentally ill. It dealt with specific taboos terms for calling someone a psychopath. It doesn't translate directly into English, but I guess the words aren't acceptable to some.

Thank you, I know exactly the taboo you're talking about. I know any terminology related to the mentally ill is a "touchy" subject. For example: in anime characters will say, "Shouki ka?" (Are you sane?) instead of "Kyouki ka?" (Are you mad?).

The absolute worst word is Kichigai. When I was a student in Japan I would read the manga anthologies that the Japanese students threw out. One hentai manga was the most disturbing thing I'd ever seen; it featured a man graphically raping and dismembering a mother and daughter. In the process, he shouts, "I'm KIspoiler[CHIGA]I!" Yes, they had no problem showing all that disturbing garbage, but censored that word.

This taboo must have started in the 1980's or something because I have actually heard it in some older anime. I remember Jigen said it in a Lupin III movie. (The Secret of Mamo, I think.)
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm a tad confused here.

The article states, as did the original article, that "Kishiro was in the middle of finishing the 100th Last Order manga installment before its deadline. Kishiro asked the editor if he realized that imposing this request might mean Kishiro will miss his deadline for the Last Order installment and will refuse to allow more reprints of his manga, and the editor said yes."

Is there a missing "he" there? As in "he will refuse to allow more reprints of his manga?"
skchai1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like he's already decided to move. Publicly announcing ahead of time that he's sent this ultimatum to Shueisha, as well as recounting events to make their editor look like an irrational moron (kichigai? - sorry), he's pretty much telling them to grovel in public. Presumably he expects that they'd rather cancel One Piece than accept his conditions.
Monumension

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see something's being done at least. I feared Kishiro would slump into a corner and become passive and inactive for the next decade when troubles started to surface a few months ago.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Good for Kishiro. These publishers have far too much power, and its refreshing to see him being brave about it all.

Hopefully we'll get to see the rest of the series.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3