• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNtv - Dubs That Time Forgot - Otakon '09 Edition (Part 2)

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:43 am Reply with quote
You know, if it was mixed better, that dub of KO centry beast would have been passable.

Not that it would beat the ad libbing nonsense of the TRS dub. "I feel like I'm in a pokéball!"
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:12 am Reply with quote
I have to see that show with the cat. Have to have to have to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
_-D-_

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:33 am Reply with quote
Slightly off topic: So is that the new media player? I didn't see an announcement or anything, or maybe I missed it? Or if it's been up I missed that too. (Haven't watched anything since part 1 of this, so...yeah.)

It looks and works great. Thanks to everyone involved on the project. I'm sure it's nice to have it up finally.

On topic: These videos were great. Very funny, plus it's interesting to see the different ways shows have been dubbed, especially when they're as awkward as some of these. The comparison dubs in part 1 were especially intriguing, so thanks a lot to Mike, and Justin for editing it for here. I don't go to conventions so it's nice to see stuff from the panels that I would go to if I went.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am Reply with quote
Watching Zorro make his entrance, I was like "Hey, Tuxedo Mask found a day job!" Same corny speech and what-not. He was definitely taking some tips from Sailor Moon with that transformation sequence. Laughing

I wish we could've seen more shows. I'm especially interested in any old shoujo dubs you might possess. Of course, this is a taped convention panel, so it's not like each show's clips could be edited down to the second just to cram in more series. Perhaps a special ANNtv edition of Dubs That Time Forgot is in order? Wink
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:20 am Reply with quote
_-D-_ wrote:
Slightly off topic: So is that the new media player? I didn't see an announcement or anything, or maybe I missed it? Or if it's been up I missed that too. (Haven't watched anything since part 1 of this, so...yeah.)

It is! We're still working out the bugs, so we haven't made the announcement yet (hence, no ads at the moment). We hope to have a final version up early next week.

Glad you like! It certainly is head-and-shoulders above the old one, and we've also boosted our encoding quality quite a bit as well.

This was really hard to edit due to numerous bizarre technical glitches, so I'm glad people are likin' it. And penguintruth, you should totally check out Enemy's The Pirates, it's a great show. Though watching more than 5 minutes of that dub would give me a horrible headache...
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:47 am Reply with quote
You know, something about that Zorro show stirs up memories in me. I may have watched this when I was little. Shocked Though I also have memories of watching the western Zorro cartoon from 1997 as well.
SuperJoe_Kujo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:19 am Reply with quote
Is it just me or does Apollo sound rather a lot like The Cat from Red Dwarf - Danny John-Jules?

Not sure how well known Red Dwarf is in the U.S. but it was a UK sci-fi comedy that ran on for far too many seasons but started out pretty funny.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:42 am Reply with quote
Oh, come on. The KO Beast dub is so bad, it's good. It's a shame they didn't dub the whole show.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote
Dat Apollo is a jive talkin mofo. He a cool kat for a cat.

Seriously, I was already having a hard time holding it together, but after hearing his name was Apollo, I just couldn't hold it anymore. If only that guy with the gun's name was Sandman...That'd be perfection.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ranma87

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I have the original Porco Rosso, Castle in the Sky and My Neighbor Totoro dubs from the early 90's in my collection. (Before Disney licensed them)
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, I was giggling the entire time through that "Zarro" dub. My favorite of the bunch, and I request that if you do any more of these panels that they also get put on ANN!

Liking the new video player too, sometimes the video wouldn't load on the old one but no problems here so far!
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:58 pm Reply with quote
That KO Beast dub... jesus
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:26 pm Reply with quote
How in the world do you track down awesome stuff like this? I mean, I have a small selection of random anime dubs, but 'The Wonderful Galaxy of Oz' just doesn't even come close to this level of awesome-ness.

Plus, this reminds me I need to pick up KO Beast. I wonder if TRSI still stocks it? Very Happy
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote
These were awesome, I need to watch more old anime.
BBQVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
The video doesn't appear to be working, I'm getting an error Sad

Quote:
An Error Has Been Encountered
While Trying To Retrieve Data From animenewsnetwork.com/video/6666/ad/0/adconfig.xml309
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3