• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation March 2013 Solicitations

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote
Looks like another skimpy month for FUNimation. Sad

I guess they got all of their biggest titles out for the holidays, so there's really not much else to put out.

Still waiting on Roberta's Blood Trail, Guilty Crown, and Future diary, though. And wasn't Fujiko supposed to come out this spring as well? Confused
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Looks like another skimpy month for FUNimation. Sad

It's too bad WTK was so subtle about pointing out that this solicitation list is not final. Rolling Eyes
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
The most worthwhile stuff is almost always spoiled first. Subtle or not, it's a trend.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I want more "older titles to Blu-ray," like they did with Yuu Yuu Hakusho. After seeing Right Stuff offer each season of Dragon Ball for $13.49 apiece, I'm really inclined to buy it, as I've never seen the series and have heard so many good things about it.

But then I think to myself about all the wishy-washy crap that FUNi does with their packaging, the possibilities of BD conversions, and the fact that they occasionally split big series into separate boxes, then condense them into fewer sets, and eventually into one collection. And because of this, I really wanna' like them for putting in the effort to produce good, quality product, but at the same time it pisses me off when they screw around with the aforementioned gripes above.

They hinted at Trigun on BD, but now it's just a DVD re-release. They licensed X (TV) and hinted at a BD release for that; haven't heard anything since. They listed Last Exile (the first one) for BD a while back, and now it's completely vanished. What about Fam: The Silver Wing? Where's Guilty Crown? And can I get Darker Than Black season 1 on BD at some point, or can they just give up the license already and let Aniplex have it?

Can't believe I ever wanted to work for 'em at one point Rolling Eyes. If I did today, I'd probably tear up the divisions and either fix the packaging department just to get some effing uniformity in their casing or tell their press release people to stop giving false/super-delayed hopes to consumers for expectations.
chronoclast

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
They hinted at Trigun on BD, but now it's just a DVD re-release. They licensed X (TV) and hinted at a BD release for that; haven't heard anything since. They listed Last Exile (the first one) for BD a while back, and now it's completely vanished. What about Fam: The Silver Wing? Where's Guilty Crown? And can I get Darker Than Black season 1 on BD at some point, or can they just give up the license already and let Aniplex have it?

Trigun is a materials problem. No HD masters exist for it and the Japanese producers have stated before that they aren't going to do an HD telecine for it as a BD wouldn't sell enough in Japan to be worth it. The best Funi could do short of paying for an HD telecine, which as they found out with DBZ is very expensive, is upscale the old composite SD masters and no one wants that.

I'd really like to know what's up with Last Exile and Darker Than Black season 1 too. I hope they're planning to release the Last Exile BD alongside Fam the Silver Wing whenever they release that.
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I want more "older titles to Blu-ray," like they did with Yuu Yuu Hakusho. After seeing Right Stuff offer each season of Dragon Ball for $13.49 apiece, I'm really inclined to buy it, as I've never seen the series and have heard so many good things about it.
Well, they did just release Lain a month ago. Of course, they got sodomized for the video quality, which probably hurt sales, which probably means we won't be getting anymore older anime ever again.

/hyperbole Smile
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
And can I get Darker Than Black season 1 on BD at some point, or can they just give up the license already and let Aniplex have it?

If you got a kidney to spare, let em have at it!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't spend a whole lot on video products anymore outside of limited edition or exclusive releases like Steelbooks and such. As long as it isn't something insane like those Type-Moon properties, I'm willing to dish out a little extra money for a worthwhile series like DTB.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
How far are the One Piece 4th Season sets now? I don't particularly care for Davy Back Fight or any of the filler near there but want to get back to collecting the sets once they hit Water 7 (or I suppose the showdown between the StrawHats and spoiler[Aokiji] would be good as well)
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
TRSI has posted the solicitations (see first post). Main addition is Shana Season 3.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:04 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
How far are the One Piece 4th Season sets now? I don't particularly care for Davy Back Fight or any of the filler near there but want to get back to collecting the sets once they hit Water 7 (or I suppose the showdown between the StrawHats and spoiler[Aokiji] would be good as well)

The recent set, Season 4 Voyage 3, covers spoiler[the Luffy vs Usopp fight, the Franky/Iceburg confrontation, and Robin leaving the crew]
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:20 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, I better get on that then. Thanks for the info.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:30 am Reply with quote
I might hold off on ordering Shana Season 3 for a little while to see if Rightstuf offers a bundle deal for that like they did with season 2. Anyhow, that's definitely on my list along with Dragonball Kai Season 4.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
chronoclast wrote:
Trigun is a materials problem. No HD masters exist for it and the Japanese producers have stated before that they aren't going to do an HD telecine for it as a BD wouldn't sell enough in Japan to be worth it. The best Funi could do short of paying for an HD telecine, which as they found out with DBZ is very expensive, is upscale the old composite SD masters and no one wants that.

I'm sure they'll get to it eventually once they run dry on other things to remaster. Though in that meantime, there's still hundreds of OVAs and movies I'd like to see rereleased on BD, and a good many just from Madhouse at that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2