• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Layoffs Confirmed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animaniac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:25 am Reply with quote
I have to admit it was saturated but I wish they could keep up with monthly releases and man it sucks so many got fired
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:57 am Reply with quote
"Houston, we have a problem."

Man, that sucks. Just when I was actually getting into ADV's manga titles, they start laying off staffers who worked hard in getting them here. At least ADV Manga is more organized than TOKYOPOP and Viz (I'm not even gonna mention Studio Ironcat, as nearly all of their translated manga releases are vaporware).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:51 am Reply with quote
So does this mean Newtype USA is also gonna get the axe in some way as well?
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:10 am Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
"Houston, we have a problem."

Man, that sucks. Just when I was actually getting into ADV's manga titles, they start laying off staffers who worked hard in getting them here. At least ADV Manga is more organized than TOKYOPOP and Viz (I'm not even gonna mention Studio Ironcat, as nearly all of their translated manga releases are vaporware).

Hee. At least with Tokyopop, their volume is such that even if I couldn't possibly care less about ninety percent of their titles, the remaining ten percent make it worth it. And there *are* people out there who care about some of the titles in the ninety percent, and not some in my ten. Viz...well, Viz will always win for the quality of what they publish. Now if only they came out with a second (third?) edition of Adolf!!!

Ultimately, ADV Manga entered a crowded market, but tried to pretend they were Tokyopop. A strategy like that CMX and Del Rey use - licensing just a few titles, and really, depending on revenue from other departments to compensate, at least at first - would probably have worked much better.

Oh, and, remember, Ironcat finally accepted their reality and folded. Unless they come back yet again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:50 am Reply with quote
I think ADV's over-saturation had it's negatives and positives. We've all seen the negative, but the positive is the fact that they brought SO MANY animes to the market that anime couldn't be ignored anymore and the fanbase has gotten much better. That's about as much as I'm praising ADV. Now if only the would improve the qualities of their dubs and stop using the same people over and over again. (Or as one of my friends said, they probably just pick names from a hat and say "Now who's gonna be the lead for this anime? Hillary? Monica?") I'm only collecting one manga from ADV and that's Gunslinger Girl. I was very angry that it took FOREVER to release the next vol. I was beginning to think they wouldn't. I got the 1st one last May, almost a YEAR ago. At least Tokyopop releases thier manga at a descent time. (Minus one of their mangas, Princess Ai which is also taking forever.) I only collect 1 manga from Viz, so my manga company is Tokyopop. I've never seen any problem with the quality of mangas (then again since I can't read Japanese I have nothing to compare the translation to) I like the -chan,-san things in both anime and manga. It was especially useful in Azumanga Daioh because they had kept so many cultural references not keeping the honorifics wouldn't make any sense.

And the only similarty between Madlax and Gunslinger Girl is the fact they there are young girls using guns and being assassins....that's about it. Other than that they are completly different. If anything Madlax is more similary to Noir, but it helps that they were both made bt Bee Train.
s_j

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
So does this mean Newtype USA is also gonna get the axe in some way as well?

I hope not. I just bit the bullet and placed a year's subscription! Embarassed
Rio Takeuchi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I want to work for them, but as a voice actress. That won't be for a WHILE though, so hopefully they're not still overwhelmed with employees then.

Gawd, I'm voice acting-obsessed..... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Munty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:50 pm Reply with quote
hkrok76 wrote:
I guess fans of Gunslinger Girl will have to wait an even longer eternity...hhahahaha. ::runs off to laugh at his friend::

Well Amazon.co.uk lists vol 3 for June, so you never know... It might come out this year Anime smile
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Rio Takeuchi wrote:
I want to work for them, but as a voice actress. That won't be for a WHILE though, so hopefully they're not still overwhelmed with employees then.

2 words...good luck. ADV is not very willing to try new people out. I personaly am trying for Funimation because
1) They are much nicer and willing to try new people
2) ADV only has one director Matt Greenfield, Funi has a heck of alot more, therefore that increases your chances of actually getting a part in something.
3) ADV is stupid becaused they are sending all of their people to funi, but one of my VA friends, Kyle Hebert, had auddied for ADV many months ago and STILL hasn't heard back from them.
4) Funi is only 50 min away from me vs ADV which is 3 hrs (but that's a personal thing)
5) Since I'm 15 Funi is more willing to work with kids. (Anyone who hears my voice thinks I'm 20+ and other pro VAs have encouraged me to give it a shot)

Over all if there is anyone that is not friends with ADV VAs or family members *cough* Chris and Greg Ayres*cough* then you don't have a good chance.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:02 pm Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
2 words...good luck. ADV is not very willing to try new people out. I personaly am trying for Funimation because
2) ADV only has one director Matt Greenfield, Funi has a heck of alot more, therefore that increases your chances of actually getting a part in something.
3) ADV is stupid becaused they are sending all of their people to funi, but one of my VA friends, Kyle Hebert, had auddied for ADV many months ago and STILL hasn't heard back from them.
4) Funi is only 50 min away from me vs ADV which is 3 hrs (but that's a personal thing)
5) Since I'm 15 Funi is more willing to work with kids. (Anyone who hears my voice thinks I'm 20+ and other pro VAs have encouraged me to give it a shot)

Over all if there is anyone that is not friends with ADV VAs or family members *cough* Chris and Greg Ayres*cough* then you don't have a good chance.

Sounds like a personal problem to me, not any fault of ADV.
Seanb
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:53 pm Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:

ADV has more ADR directors than just Matt Greenfield. Flipping through the encyclopedia, I see no less than 4 other directors. There's Steven Foster, David Williams, and quite a few others.

Just sayin...
Rio Takeuchi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:43 pm Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
Rio Takeuchi wrote:

I've met Greg and Monica Rial a few times, but I'm not "friends" with them. *sigh* I really wanna be one though. I guess I could always go for Funi instead. They work with them sometimes too... and those are the people I really wanna work with.

I realize that I won't actually get to WORK with them, because of how recording is, but, its good enough for me.
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:
AuraShadow wrote:

Sounds like a personal problem to me, not any fault of ADV.

Some of them yes, but most are true. I have yet to see anything from ADV that has anyone from funimation even extras in thier products, but ADV's people are get leads in Funi's anime. Is that an equivelent exchange? And the reputition of people is not just my opinion but the opinion of serveral Pro VAs as well.

Seanb wrote:
AuraShadow wrote:

ADV has more ADR directors than just Matt Greenfield. Flipping through the encyclopedia, I see no less than 4 other directors. There's Steven Foster, David Williams, and quite a few others.

Just sayin...

Sorry my information was incorrect, but the number of times I see his name on he credits it seems like he's the only recoginized director.

Rio Takeuchi wrote:

I've met Greg and Monica Rial a few times, but I'm not "friends" with them. *sigh* I really wanna be one though. I guess I could always go for Funi instead. They work with them sometimes too... and those are the people I really wanna work with.

I realize that I won't actually get to WORK with them, because of how recording is, but, its good enough for me.

Definatly don't give up though. I do AVAing right now, and it is SO much fun. I think of Funi as a starting point. ADV's "golden moments" were between 2001-mid 2004, then after that they just went ddoowwnnn hillllll. Funi is just getting started with Full Metal Alchemist. I would rather ride the VA train when a company is on its way to top which is exactly what Funi is right now. And if ADV really does do their new "2 episode dvds for $17" policy, Funi will have absolutly no competition because no one will buy a 2 ep dvd for that much money. (No idea what gave them the idea to do that. I know it's only being done for Gantz, but according to my info(http://www.anime-radio.com) it will soon be a regular thing.) So yeah, definatly don't give up. VAing is SO much fun ^^
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:13 am Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
I have yet to see anything from ADV that has anyone from funimation even extras in thier products, but ADV's people are get leads in Funi's anime. Is that an equivelent exchange?

Who ever said there had to be "equivalent exchange"? Rolling Eyes
ADV can cast whoever they feel like in their products, they're under no obligation to use anyone who normally works in FUNi's dubs.
A job's a job.
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:22 am Reply with quote
True, but I think it's only fair. That's not exactly fair for ADV to be flooding Funi's already great talent pool with people for their company but not let people from there even be something as small as extras. That actually kinda shows some arrogance. Maybe they think they're good enough that they don't need anyone from "stupid ol'" funi at ADV the largest anime distributer in the US, but we will start putting our people over there. Especially since I have been told something along the lines that now Funi and ADV are going to start collaborating to "further the distrubition and quality of anime". If you're going to collaborate with someone negocations are a must, and if this is supposed to be a "collaborative effort" it seems pretty one-sided to me. This should have been done from the beginning: If ADV wants people over there to be considered for roles, then need to consider Funi for roles. This trade off concept if benifical for both compaines. Funi gets the names of some of the top people from ADV, and ADV would finally break thier growing reputation of recycling people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3